• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Clean-up after Glow Round?

markmcc

Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I played a quick round at a local park today, and noticed that there were "spent" glow sticks hanging from every basket. I pulled the old glow sticks off as I played my round and threw them away. Added about a second per hole.

As I think back, I've played on many courses where old glow sticks and/or strings were still hanging on the basket, including one course where it seemed like there were more pieces of fishing line than chains on the baskets.

So my question. Is this just a Texas thing, or is it common across the country? Why not just have the last group pull the glow stick off as they finish?

Definitely not just a Texas thing I have seen that at almost every course I have played in state or out of state on at least one basket

Happens here in MI, too. Only reasonable excuse I can offer is that (on the 9-holer where I usually see this) play can go on for hours and more groups are arriving. This kind of trash doesn't bother me as much as beverage containers and other things some golfers are too lazy to throw away. (Lots of these after glow rounds, too, seems folks get more forgetful in the dark). Those of us who take the time to keep things tidy will just have to keep on keeping on, most likely.

I wish the guv't in MI would expand our deposit laws to include water, power drinks, lemonade etc. Right now, only beer and carbonated beverages require deposit, so of course non-deposit items make up the bulk of the mess and local can pickers have no incentive to carry them off.

Thanks for doing your bit to help out.

Spent glow paraphernalia is no different than spent beer cans. Once its consumed, take it to the trash please.

I suppose some people figure since glow sticks are one time use and they last for several hours, they might as well let others who may be playing the course after them enjoy them. I can understand that, but at the very least come back the next day and pick them up.

I have seen a few leftovers the following day(s) from some Glow players. The ones in a state park I play often I assume are left by people who camp there on the campgrounds. There is no Glow league there and not really any locals either or I would be joining them. But often you see some campers with 1-3 discs a couple beers and some glow sticks.

The league I play in we don't use glow sticks. You can pick up a 20 lot of led flashlights for like $25 online so that is the route they went. We split up in groups and each take some out, then when we finish everyone knows which holes they are responsible for and pick them up on the way back in. Much cleaner and it works better anyways, win/win.

I have also done my fair share of clean up from time to time when I see them. I don't mind folks leaving them overnight if the park is populated and others may benefit. But it would be nice if they circled back the next day and cleaned up.

I have a bunch of flashlights, like Golden mentioned. Most commonly, I just don't light up the baskets. Most people know about where the baskets are already, and we had a chain-out on a 260' hole with no lights. That was awesome.

I run our glow doubles series, I use batt powered glow sticks for the baskets and regular glow sticks to mark some fairways.
I l put myself on the last card, and when I get past where the first card started, I just pick up as I go- using a small bucket to put it in

dgNomad Glow chains ROCK!

We quit using glow sticks last year when our club got a set of dgNOMAD glow chains... and you betcha we don't leave these out after a round. Not normally this draped over the basket like this, but it was our first attempt at this crazy placement and wanted it to be seen from afar....

picture.php

Spent glow paraphernalia is no different than spent beer cans. Once its consumed, take it to the trash please.

I suppose some people figure since glow sticks are one time use and they last for several hours, they might as well let others who may be playing the course after them enjoy them. I can understand that, but at the very least come back the next day and pick them up.

^2nd this emotion.

We always try to grab them on our way out. We play every night though, so if we forget a basket we just get em the next night. The littering is never intentional with the people that I play with.

Best solution is to put a couple strips of reflective tape around the basket pole (clean it first so the tape sticks semi permanently). During glow play, spot the basket by briefly turning on a flashlight at it. One-time investment. No ongoing costs of glow sticks, and no need for leaving trash on the baskets.

Been running a glow league for almost 4 years. At first I lit the baskets, but putting them all out, playing, then getting them all was taxing. Now we just use flashlights to see or light the baskets. Totally not purist but still fun regardless. The coolest part is the discs flight, no one cares we light up the baskets for putting.

Best solution is to put a couple strips of reflective tape around the basket pole (clean it first so the tape sticks semi permanently). During glow play, spot the basket by briefly turning on a flashlight at it. One-time investment. No ongoing costs of glow sticks, and no need for leaving trash on the baskets.

This, maybe with some glow duct tape as well, to hold a charge while putting. Seems reasonable to me.

The group of guys I play with have a no flashlights / no lights on the baskets rule. We are playing a fairly open course we all know quite well. Sometimes you can't see the basket from 40 feet out due to lights at the edge of the park messing with you. makes for hilarious results

I tend to get rather annoyed with players who bring flashlights. They destroy night vision and usually these tools have no discipline about shining their light all over.

This doesn't seem crazy. If they're easy to remove the next day, and the course is well appointed with garbage cans, I don't see a real problem with leaving them out. On the hope that others can take advantage. And on the expectation that it's no huge burden to let someone else remove them the next day (or, worst case, for them to hang there until the next glow event).

Much better than beer cans. Even better than cigarette butts.

I run my glow league at Lava Creek and I just pick them up the next morning during my round. I would never leave them more than a day because it makes people think they can come play night golf whenever they want (this is not the case). It's a pain in the ass. I'm just waiting for the magical solution/LED lights that are more permanent.

I run my glow league at Lava Creek and I just pick them up the next morning during my round. I would never leave them more than a day because it makes people think they can come play night golf whenever they want (this is not the case). It's a pain in the ass. I'm just waiting for the magical solution/LED lights that are more permanent.

The Noma LED Solar garden lights work well but require some sort of lockable cage to protect them from theft and breakage. I have seen more than a few explode spectacularly when hit from 100 feet out

our league uses patio umbrella lights to light up the baskets. I have seen some glow sticks at other places. I usually clean them up if I see them.

The group of guys I play with have a no flashlights / no lights on the baskets rule. We are playing a fairly open course we all know quite well. Sometimes you can't see the basket from 40 feet out due to lights at the edge of the park messing with you. makes for hilarious results

I tend to get rather annoyed with players who bring flashlights. They destroy night vision and usually these tools have no discipline about shining their light all over.

No white lights allowed in my series.
I carry a roll of red taillight repair tape, to give out to the uninformed.
It makes any light, a red light.

The Noma LED Solar garden lights work well but require some sort of lockable cage to protect them from theft and breakage. I have seen more than a few explode spectacularly when hit from 100 feet out

Tried that, it was a pain.

Latest posts