• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

clear pads in the mid michigan area.

drxandy

Hey guys trying to go out tomorrow and play and wondered if anyone in the mid michigan area knew of courses with clear tee pads. I know grand woods is clear since thats our home course pretty much.
Burchfield?
Charlotte is not clear

Thanks!

Hey guys trying to go out tomorrow and play and wondered if anyone in the mid michigan area knew of courses with clear tee pads. I know grand woods is clear since thats our home course pretty much.
Burchfield?
Charlotte is not clear

Thanks!

Hey drxandy. Usually Disc Golf Scene is a great resource for Michigan course info. Seems to be a well used site for this kind of info, tournament info, and lost discs. Most of the locally active golfers check in from time to time. Good luck, hopefully we will see a thaw by June.

bring a shovel and they're clear no matter where you go...

Yeah last season I went out like once a week this season its been like 5 times total :/
I am on dgscene but the response time here is usually faster haha.
And really as much as I love discin I work a lot and am finishing moving so I dont want to add the pleasure of shoveling 18/24 pads.

Oh wait dude that says to shovel is from the bay area
It doesn't work like that we have ice.

In cefire's defense, I'm from MI and my first thought after reading your OP:

Bring a shovel...

Ice or not...or easier still, just throw without a run-up if you are able, and maybe work on accuracy shots? Just trying to offer up some friendly advice. I too am going out tomorrow but I don't throw with any sort of run-up so I'm set regardless. Good luck :thmbup:

Not bringing a shovel when I can go to my home course and not have to shovel. And hi bender, seen your tags at flip.

I know a few on the East side are taken care of, mid state not so much. Kensington might be. Hudson is out.

As for the bring a shovel...if more people thought about the after effects and the other people who would like to play the course after them, and cleared at the first snow and continued to keep them clear we wouldn't have 4 inches of hard packed snow/ice where it not becomes a 30-45 minute job to clear a pad. I despise the golfer who heads out without a shovel and packs down a pad. Shows selfishness and lack of consideration for anyone or anything dealing with the course, i.e. events, leagues

Burchfield is one of my favorite courses played out of 60, wish I knew whether or not they had snow/ice free pads.

I'm guessing if you can find out which places have some sort of winter leagues, that could help in determining which courses have seen more traffic and are more likely to be free of nature's wrath.

Big portage lake in Jackson has clear pads, Kensington has some clear pads, but like the others have already said if you put in work you can have clear pads anywhere. I will never understand the guys that would rather throw directly on top of snow. If you have time to throw you have time to shovel...

Big portage lake in Jackson has clear pads, Kensington has some clear pads, but like the others have already said if you put in work you can have clear pads anywhere. I will never understand the guys that would rather throw directly on top of snow. If you have time to throw you have time to shovel...

Welllll...Yesterday I went to Flaherty Park with the best of intentions. I brought a lightweight shovel that's great for shoveling fluffy freshly fallen snow and not so good for the super duper compact and slushy/icy garbage we had yesterday. If anyone is going to go out and shovel I recommend bringing a regular shovel made for digging. Particularly, the flat blade type.

As a result, I threw on top of the snow.

Let's see; throwing is fun. Shoveling is maybe not so much fun. I can see an older or less physically capable person not shoveling, it could take too much out of you.

Having said that , I have shoveled twice this year, the other times I've been out someone else already shoveled.

Pretty much if they have not been shoveled all winter long there is almost no chance of doing it now. Got a chance to play Hudson Mills yesterday and despite being pay-to-play the pads were horrible. Packed down snow, uneven ground and no chance of getting down to the concrete without a blowtorch and 30 pounds of salt. Not worth the drive up.

Last year the good folks at Burchfield often shoveled the pads and salted them. Can't speak for this season as I have not made it up that way yet. As Skizzle said, Big Portage is in great shape with perfect pads that are shoveled a min of once of week if not more. Congrats to the local club for making a free to play course one of the best maintained!

Not really mid-Mitten, but all 24 short pads at Willow are clear--only you have to worry about flooding now!

knuckleheads

:|
I know a few on the East side are taken care of, mid state not so much. Kensington might be. Hudson is out.

As for the bring a shovel...if more people thought about the after effects and the other people who would like to play the course after them, and cleared at the first snow and continued to keep them clear we wouldn't have 4 inches of hard packed snow/ice where it not becomes a 30-45 minute job to clear a pad. I despise the golfer who heads out without a shovel and packs down a pad. Shows selfishness and lack of consideration for anyone or anything dealing with the course, i.e. events, leagues

Very true, these are the same people that complain about course conditions in the summer, they never help, they don't attend fund raising tourneys, they don't go to park board meetings and some of them dis their "home" course on social media.
This is one of the reasons i like to throw in the winter or solo when these knuckleheads aren't around.

Last edited:
fallasburg has clear pads.

"Let's see; throwing is fun. Shoveling is maybe not so much fun. I can see an older or less physically capable person not shoveling, it could take too much out of you."

an yes i did shovel and i am 59

If education could be spread to convince winter players to stay off pads and play to either side, shoveling would be an option. Most courses have at least 30 minutes of work to clear one pad. A huge thanks to those who take the time to clear pads.

We had winter leagues at Burchfield and our final day was yesterday. All of the short pads are clear on renegades trail. Rivers edge has not been played. Nor have the long pads.

Latest posts