• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Clemson SC

Jbultman

Birdie Member
Taking a trip to near Clemson SC, unfortunately only going to have a day to play. I'm looking at Grand Central Station. Any others worth mentioning if I can just play one?
Thanks

If you want a full day, Seneca or Easley are close by and worth it, or Sertoma Field up in Walhalla. But if you only have one day to play, then Grand Central is where it's at, especially with the new holes (I know my location says Cincinnati, but I'm just interning for the summer; I go to Clemson and actually live in the apartment complex up to the left from hole 7's pin [2 min walk to 7's tee, 5 min walk to hole 1]).

The way Central's two layouts work, is the old layout is currently holes 1-18 like normal, and the locomotive layout is hole 1, then holes 11-15 played as holes 2-6. After this, go to 17's tee and look backwards, away from 17's fairway. Down the sewer easement there should just be a basket visible with a 7 on it. Play from 17's tee to this basket, then walk along the easement to 8's tee. Play from there up the hill to the fairway, then holes 9-11 are pretty self explanatory from there. After 11, go along the little road back there, then walk towards 1's basket and to your left is hole 2. Play hole 2 as hole 12, then play hole 4 as hole 13, then holes 5-8 as holes 14-17 of the locomotive layout, then play 18 to finish off the round.

Pro tips for navigation: to get from 7's basket to 8's long tee, don't follow the bridges. Walk to the right of the pin and along the side of the parking lot, then to your right should be a huge rock and the tee is just past that. Also, for the old layout, you'll walk past 18's tee and continue through the woods a bit to hole 9. There's also a long tee on 15 back away from the gravel tee; when at the gravel tee, walk towards the apartments in line with the back of the tee, and follow along that little hole in the woods.

If I was in town I'd love to show you around, but there's usually some locals out and about.

If you want a full day, Seneca or Easley are ...
If I was in town I'd love to show you around, but there's usually some locals out and about.

Ha actually I live in Cincinnati. Have a house near Lake Keowee, north of Clemson. Ironic. I go down there frequently, typically I play ball golf. But.... Bringing the discs this time, not the clubs!

Dang I didn't know it was that crazy. Thinking the simple, easy to navigate old layout.

Sounds like central is where it's at, looks like its only 30 minutes away, too. I'll have to check out the others too!

Grand Central is the pick of the lot. I haven't played the new layout, but the original has lots of variety and excellent design.

If it were me, and time permitted a second round, I think I'd play Grand Central (original), then try the new layout, having played the original to give me some bearings.

I haven't played Seneca, but Easley is a fun course with a bunch of downhill throws (accomplished by having some uphill walks between holes).

Ha actually I live in Cincinnati. Have a house near Lake Keowee, north of Clemson. Ironic. I go down there frequently, typically I play ball golf. But.... Bringing the discs this time, not the clubs!

Dang I didn't know it was that crazy. Thinking the simple, easy to navigate old layout.

Sounds like central is where it's at, looks like its only 30 minutes away, too. I'll have to check out the others too!

Lol, what a small world; I'm loving the courses up here but seriously missing Central. I don't quite think there's an analog to it among the courses here; it's like a baby Idlewild with a little of the openness at Dunham but some of the multi-shot linking at Mt. Airy and a decent bit of tightness like Hole 11 long at Mt. Airy. I love the lake area around the Foothills, it's just gorgeous. On Lake Keowee Seneca and Walhalla will be right there too; you might be able to squeeze a couple quick rounds in at those courses as well depending on your trip. The traditional golf is pretty legit around there too.

The new layout at Central is super simple to navigate too once you get to the course; hole 11 is literally right next to hole 1. Playing the course through on the old layout you'll see it's pretty easy to navigate; they may have installed new signage indicating the new layout since I left. If you make it back down there when I'm back at school I'll definitely be down to show you the new layout.

As I understand it, Central's grand plan for that park was to put a pee wee football stadium dug into the area where hole 10 is, with a multi-use field in the area around 18's basket and a drainage pond somewhere around hole 9. Parking would take over hole 2's right pin and hole 3's teepad (with hole 2 playing to Hole 3's long pin). The new layout would have been those replacement holes. The City bought the property but then had to cut their parks and rec funding. No one is really sure when (or if) they'll build the football stadium because they just built bathrooms on the property. They got the grant money a while back but were holding off because they'll have to tear them out when the stadium is built (not 100% sure on the truth, just what I was told). However, I believe the Upstate Club went ahead and used some of their baskets on hand and a lot of club labor to build the new layout.

Also, Easley is a pretty long drive from Lake Keowee but it's worth it to play at least once. It's not the nicest course in the world, but the actual design is super fun with a ton of challenging but fun, unique, and varied shots.

Sertoma Field DGC at Walhalla, SC is actually a well kept, nice little course with water in play, but if you have just 1 day then GCS is where it's at around here :) have fun!

Also, Easley is a pretty long drive from Lake Keowee but it's worth it to play at least once. It's not the nicest course in the world, but the actual design is super fun with a ton of challenging but fun, unique, and varied shots.

If he's already going to be at Grand Central and wants to play a second course, Easley is right there.

If he's already going to be at Grand Central and wants to play a second course, Easley is right there.

Eh, it's not exactly right there, it's still another 15 to 20 minute drive, and then Keowee is probably somewere around 40-50 minutes from Easley.

I think we can all agree that Grand Central should be his number one priority...

Personally, i would put Shaver as a number 2 over Easley

I think we can all agree that Grand Central should be his number one priority...

Personally, i would put Shaver as a number 2 over Easley

Eh, I'd give Easley a slight edge over Seneca based solely on the golf; Easley has a more variety, plenty of the tight, short holes like Seneca, but also has some great bomber and two-shot holes. Seneca also has more of the usual disc golf infrastructure, but I'd say Easley is also in a little bit better shape than Seneca

Shaver over Easley most of the time but you have a couple of big trees down that block 18's fairway and a big branch down on hole 10 after the rain storm two weeks ago. Need to get the old chainsaw out and do a little cutting this weekend.

Latest posts