• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Co-Golf (ball and disc) thoughts?

podunk pete

Banned
Curious to see what people think of co-locating courses. Have you played a "Co-Course"? Did ball golfers frown upon your presence? Do you think that a ball golf course posses the characteristics that you are looking for in a DG course?

Personally, I see pros and cons, Im not crazy about most of the set up's locally, the fairways are just wide open, no trees, etc.....but if done right (i.e. by an experienced disc golfer) I thik that for just the cost of baskets you could co locate a DG and Ball golf course together and make it cool. Im sure it would have to be a P2P, but that in itself has pro's n con's

Happy Friday Peeps

Ball golfers and Disc golfers are 2 totally different types of people (the majority of them anyway)...just don't like the idea of it :D

Ball golfers and Disc golfers are 2 totally different types of people (the majority of them anyway)...just don't like the idea of it :D

I definately agree with you about that, even some of my close friends who are avid ball golfers, will not even give DG a shred of respect, it really kinda upsets me, because we love the same sport, just use different tools.....

ive played out at one here in chicago. got the carts and everything. we just played the game with respect, and we got respect. some people seem interested, others gave us odd looks.

When I learned to ski snowboarders weren't allowed anywhere. Now they're everywhere.

Where was I going with this?

:confused:

I didn't even know such a thing existed. How do they work? It seems like a shared tee box is a bad idea (disc golfers would rip it up) and shared greens would be even worse (is the basket on the same green surface as the ball golf hole?) It also seems like any spike-hyzer landing on the ball golf green surface would leave potentially huge divots.
So I ask again: how do these shared courses work?

I would expect the ball golfers to be impatient with the disc golfers. But I could be wrong.

I didn't even know such a thing existed. How do they work? It seems like a shared tee box is a bad idea (disc golfers would rip it up) and shared greens would be even worse (is the basket on the same green surface as the ball golf hole?) It also seems like any spike-hyzer landing on the ball golf green surface would leave potentially huge divots.

Usually the baskets are off to the side of the greens in any trees or such, sometimes they are not even close to the greens....so the putting green doesn't come into play at all, in what I have seen.......mainly just share the fairways and teebox......there is a sweet video on youtube with some hotchicks that can throw, if anyone wants to look for it.....and post it...no clue what it was under......

2 sets of tees. DGrs have concrete tees. The baskets are off of the greens a bit. If you land ON the green, it's OB....like a water hazard, so you could actually be safe if a bit of the disc is on the fringe. Here in Spring, it's a 9-hole ball golf and 9-hole POWER NINE, with 18 in the woods call FINESE. Check it out. http://www.springvalleygolfclub.com/

ive played out at one here in chicago. got the carts and everything. we just played the game with respect, and we got respect. some people seem interested, others gave us odd looks.

Edgebrook...it's a nice course. Very long though. It seemed as if I played 36 holes having to throw a couple drives on most of the holes just to get it to the pin. Getting the carts is the way to go!

I've had no problems with the ball gofers there either. However, I learned very fast that the greens are OB. They don't like the idea of a disc making divots on the greens.

I don't see how any dual use course could work...at least simultaniously. Even pulling the DG'ers off to the side, the differing paces and distances seems like it would make overlap inevitable.

I do like Pine Oaks in Ocala, FL. They took an unused (9 hole?) leg of their ball golf course and converted it to a more disc friendly 27 hole layout. It's a huge arm workout, but they still managed to work in some terrain and trees to keep things interesting. You get all the amenities of a ball golf couse (clubhouse, carts, landscaping), but keeping the two sides separate avoids any conflicts.

The one here in Chicago has seperate tees if I'm not mistaken. and the baskets are off to the side of the fairways. I was able to play at my own pace without feeling rushed. It flows pretty well with the ball golfers.

I have a hard time thinking that I would want to play disc golf on an open ball golf course. Of course, there supposedly is an old ball golf course at a resort up by lake Erie that has been converted to a disc golf course and I would give it a shot; I just dont see it being great.

The one here in Chicago has seperate tees if I'm not mistaken. and the baskets are off to the side of the fairways. I was able to play at my own pace without feeling rushed. It flows pretty well with the ball golfers.

i was there about 2 summers ago. i could have sworn we tee'd off from the same place, but the baskets were off to the side as mentioned.

there were 3 of us and we got 2 carts. one cart was full of bags and 2 people, the other cart had the solo rider..but he had all the beer:thmbup:

In my limited experience playing a course that is both golf and dg, one of the groups of people usually suffer, course design changes, people have to wait for one another, and both groups view one another as a nuisance. Doesn't mean it can't work, just hasn't when I have played.