• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cold Weather Play

Not sure if this has been mentioned but...before you go discing in snow, set your bag (and discs) in the same temperature you'll be playing in, such as an unheated garage or your car. Do this at least a half hour before you go.

This will help keep your discs from accumulating moisture and snow once you get out in the cold.

fyi
dark blue or purple is a good color for the ribbon

pale pink blends with the snow
as does gold and silver

also christmas wrapping ribbon works

I disc winter long, often in up to two feet of snow.

FWIW, I've never found it necessary to attach ribbons, as long as you know the course and keep an eye on where you land. Just look for the slits in the snow and that's your disc. Easiest to spot on courses without a lot of foot traffic.

I've lost WAY less discs in winter than I have in the summer. In fact, I've only lost one in the snow, and that was kinda flukey.

The only thing that sucks about discing in the Winter in NC is if there's actually snow, it's always wet and slushy with a sharp layer of ice on the top. If you're like me, you have nothing to keep your feet dry like Gore tex b/c it only snows maybe 4 days a year here. :| Other than that, it's great. Layer up a little and once you get moving and warmed up it feels good.

Shorts + Hoodie = Ready for Cold Weather :D. I wear gloves to because my fingers crack like crazy.

Cold weather = Cold Drinks the entire round. That makes me happy.

The only thing that sucks about discing in the Winter in NC is if there's actually snow, it's always wet and slushy with a sharp layer of ice on the top. If you're like me, you have nothing to keep your feet dry like Gore tex b/c it only snows maybe 4 days a year here. :| Other than that, it's great. Layer up a little and once you get moving and warmed up it feels good.

I'm sure you already know this, but if you wear wool sock or even better a wool poly blend your feet might get wet but they won't get cold. Or maybe some sort of high boots like is used for duck hunting. There's lightweight waterproof boots around.

I disc winter long, often in up to two feet of snow.

FWIW, I've never found it necessary to attach ribbons, as long as you know the course and keep an eye on where you land. Just look for the slits in the snow and that's your disc. Easiest to spot on courses without a lot of foot traffic.

I've lost WAY less discs in winter than I have in the summer. In fact, I've only lost one in the snow, and that was kinda flukey.

I'm with you on this. I've played 4 winters in western NY. And sometimes 2 feet of snow is a mere flurry around here. I've only lost 1 disc and it was found and returned about a week later. No need for ribbons especially if you have a playing partner. We never use them and I never see any of the hard core regular snow men using them. And I too have lost far more discs in the summer.

I'm looking forward to fall/winter golf. (I usually do.) One thing I've found very helpful is using a good hand lotion a short time before playing. When it gets to the right drying point it helps my grip a lot. It even works on Champ and other premium plastics.

in cold weather in buffalo, my buddy wears a football had warmer around his waist like receivers and quarterbacks. this seems to help a ton and reduces fiddling with gloves and stuff.

Ha ha ha below zero wind chills. You guys should come up to minnesota. 40 below, air temp no wind chill included, and knee deep snow. You gotta love disc golf to play in that. In Jan. and Feb. temps above 0 are warm.

I'm going to Pennsylvania next week. Probably 50's. More of a general knowledge question as it starts to get colder.

wait, what????

That's hoodie weather that halfway through you take off the hoodie and play in a t-shirt.

Oh no! Don't remind me!! I was just getting used to the heat.

Ha ha ha below zero wind chills. You guys should come up to minnesota. 40 below, air temp no wind chill included, and knee deep snow. You gotta love disc golf to play in that. In Jan. and Feb. temps above 0 are warm.

Keep that crap up there and out of Iowa would you.

Fifty degrees is not cold. Cold is when there is knee deep snow on the ground thats not going away till spring.
When it does get cold, this is pretty good advice.

Cold weather plastic...

Star (ESP/FLX/Gold) - I find ideal for grip and durability

Champ (Z/Opto/etc.) - I use these plastics sparingly. Very hard and very slick in bitter colds.

Add rubber, like my Ridge/ VP combo, they don't seem to stiffen up too bad either, and tend to remain quite pliable in chilly conditions.

Thanks for the replies. I was actually interested on the effects of the cold as it pertains to the disc as it starts to get colder. I do agree fifty is not cold - I prefer that over the one hundred degree summer days.

when it was 50 degrees last fall I was still playin shirtless and mowin the lawn shirtless, and being perfectly comfortable.

Let's see how far into the winter I make it before I say, "F*** it! Just too damn cold to enjoy a round."
:popcorn:

As much as I hate the cold (being a southern Florida native), I had a great time playing in it last year. A good, quality set of under armor, waterproof shoes and wind-resistant outer layer will get you through anything down to 20ish. From there, just add the neccesary layers and you should be fine. It is absolutely essential to make sure you never run out of hand warmers and extra towels. I use all of the same discs, but would highly reccomend trying to work white discs out of your bag ahead of time if you play in the snow and not hit any trees too hard once it gets bitter cold. I have seen a few discs break right in half.
....also, try not to be that guy: The one who gets out the the course first and packs down all of the snow on the teepads. It will freeze and become the most miserably unstable block of ice EVER. It really isn't that hard to carry a shovel with you and clean them off during your first round for the sake of not having to wait for the thaw to be able to use your teepads.

Latest posts