• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

College Teams/Clubs

Bglo

Par Member
With being a senior in high school im starting to apply for college, and i was wondering if anyone knew any colleges that had DG teams or clubs or an abundance of courses near them? because i want to go away to college, anywhere really, but i dont want to give up disc golf for it

I don't know if the University of Michigan has any clubs, but it is an awesome school and has several local courses and leagues. Go Blue!

Winthrop University has one of the best courses in the country running through their campus... along with several great courses in the area... awesome place to play for a weekend, let alone a college career... check it out!

RIT in Rochester NY actually just started up a club, and there are a ton of course in the area. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM cause im the Club President and Founder

I think your my best advice would be to do a DGCR zip code search on the schools that you are interested in, applied for, or have gotten accepted to. If DG has that big of an influence on your decision then DGCR will make it easy to find out amounts of courses in certain areas. Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill areas have a ton of courses within small areas.

UNC Charlotte has just started a disc golf club, I've seen the fliers around the area courses.

While I'm not aware of u of m dg, there is tons of dg in the area. Ann arbor isn't just some podunk town with dg cause it has unused land. Dg just fits into the hippy dippy, active lifestyle that AA boasts.

If you're not smart enough or rich there's Oakland U with a 18 real course.

Atlanta area is great for courses. Georgia Tech is right in the city and Life University is just north and they both have teams. Both compete in school tourneys. I'm sure there are a few others. I would google it. There was just the south east collegiate and I think there was just one on the west coast. I really think Atl is one of the best locations with all the courses and college choices around.

the university of scranton had a club but im not sure if they still have it

i thought they had an ultimate team....

USUC

University of Scranton Ultimate Club?

My uncle started a disc golf club there but i dont think they have it there anymore. I think they still have their ultimate club

With being a senior in high school im starting to apply for college, and i was wondering if anyone knew any colleges that had DG teams or clubs or an abundance of courses near them? because i want to go away to college, anywhere really, but i dont want to give up disc golf for it

Well I would say don't choose a college on the basis of disc golf, most places you go will have a course SOMEWHERE. What you want to do with your life is infinitely more important. At this point even aspiring to be a pro disc golfer isn't a "career" it's more of a hobby.

</soapbox>

I dont' know what your grades/test scores/etc. are - but if you can qualify the schools in the RTP (Research Triangle Park - aka Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill, North Carolina) are phenomenal for education and there are plenty of courses around. Additionally, Charlotte is only a couple hours away for a weekend of elite championship caliber rounds.

Plus you get to experience ACC basketball. :thmbup:

EDIT: If you are looking to actually compete in the collegiate scene check out http://www.ncdgu.com

While I'm not aware of u of m dg, there is tons of dg in the area. Ann arbor isn't just some podunk town with dg cause it has unused land. Dg just fits into the hippy dippy, active lifestyle that AA boasts.

If you're not smart enough or rich there's Oakland U with a 18 real course.

Hey my cousin goes to OU...oh wait - never mind!

Is the course any good - I probably should go visit my aunt, but want a real reason to!!

University of Oregon and Oregon State both have team. Last i heard Feldberg and Sexton are the Coaches of them team respectively. Oregon also has a ton of great courses.

Hippy007

I'm part of team San Diego State. We finished second to U of Oregon (coached by feldberg) at the most recent collegiate competition, the West Coast College Open. It was put on by CSUMB (Monterey Bay) who has a great club going up there. There were about 45 competitors there it was a blast!
The problem with our team and a handful of others that made an appearance is that we are not officially recognized by our school; it takes a year to get the right paper work done and go through a year trial as a club. I'm sure other school have the same problem. Another problem is that there probably wont be a Team San Diego State after another year because recruiting and finding people to play competitively is a task unless you have a plan and/or a coach. We are all seniors, so this is our last year.
Anyway University of Oregon has one of the best and most competitive disc golf teams in the nation. Monterey is also a great school with a competitive team.
Also if you're not aware there is the National Collegiate Disc Golf Union (check their website out - contact [email protected] - he's the man), they hold a great tournament with schools around the nation. This year is going to be huge. A lot of school from the SEC compete in it, so there's a start if you're from the south.
Other than that, if you go to a university with no team. Start your own! I wish I had when I first came to SDSU. Find some buddies, teach them to play - they wont want to stop. Go talk to a sports club administrator (or email) and see what the qualifications to become a team/club are.
Lotta info - I was bored.
Great Luck!

Last edited:
I know we have the South East Collegiate Open down in GA. And its usually warm enough to play all year round. Heres a few of the schools that participated if this helps you any.

Augusta State (Defending 2010 National Champions)
Georgia (2007 and 2008 National Champions)
Mississippi State (2009 National Champions)
Alabama
Alabama-Birmingham
Appalachian State
Arkansas
Berry College
Clemson
East Tennessee State
Georgia Southern
Georgia Tech
Kansas
Life University
North Carolina – Asheville