• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Combine Stencil and Marble?

Rowick

I had an idea and figured I would use DGCR to borrow some brains. Could one combine the stencil and marble (plastic bag) method? My though was get a white disc, put a stencil on it and cut out the white parts instead of the black parts; including the white outside the design to create a "negative space" type look. I thought this would look really cool with a marbling technique, but I have very little disc dying experience. Any thoughts, ideas, experiences, info in general would be welcome

I'm sure one of the more prolific dyers will have pictures for you, but I've seen what you're talking about done with stencils and shaving cream and it looks sweet! The plastic bag method should work as well.

A word to the wise about "reverse" dying: Choose your colors with care. I have a red Star Firebird that I dyed black, with a red dragon in the center. The dragon is almost 6" across at it's widest point, so there's plenty of red showing, and the disc looks great. So great that I don't throw it, because I've almost lost it several times. :thmbdown: So now I throw a bright yellow Resistor. I had to learn the hard way, but I'd rather not see you waste your effort and a disc like I did.

Your idea will work and will look better on a white disc than any other color. One thing to keep in mind to get results that pop is to try to make the background as dark or vibrant/saturated as possible so as to increase contrast between the 'white' stencil and your colored background. Also, with the bag marbling try to cover the disc evenly and leave as little white background as possible so the stencil portion remains crisp.

If done right it can look really cool I had a friend make a tyedye reverse dye grateful dead on one of my mine looks great, I'll have to find it later and post a pic. I've done something similar brushing my dye on using multiple coats to get the same effect but of course that depends what dye you use.

I'm not sure I have ever done this (I always get too tempted to fill in the empty space with something), but someone did one for Okthrowberfest (attached), using plastic bag marbling.

Attachments

• reversepb.jpg
    reversepb.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 78
I'm not sure I have ever done this (I always get too tempted to fill in the empty space with something), but someone did one for Okthrowberfest (attached), using plastic bag marbling.

If mine comes out half as cool as that I will be ecstatic!! Supposed to snow all weekend as I think I'll see if I can do it then and post a pic. Any thought on how long I should leave it in the dye? I've heard 1 hr is the min. what would people say is too long?

Any thought on how long I should leave it in the dye? I've heard 1 hr is the min. what would people say is too long?

One hour is definitely not enough time for max color. I'm not sure there such a thing as "too long". Leave it for as long as you can. For something at room temp like plastic bag method Id go at least 12 hours, preferably 24+

Done with a dye/acetone mix for 45 minutes. Neutron plastic.

IMG_20141203_184419_1.jpg

The previous dye shown was done the same way, as he did it in my kitchen.

Latest posts