• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

You know I was just flipping open my phone to see what was new in the Comet thread... and I thought:

"Damn I need more Comet's, I don't know why, I don't know which Comet I will throw today... Hey where's that pink 180 Z? Where's my ESP LE red 176 it should be time for that to get back in the bag... hmmm maybe it's " meatball" day. 172 style... maybe go retro with 174 clear Z, or 176 blue, the first and second Comet's I bought"....

.. And just like that you cured me. Thanks!

.. I still am not sure which one to throw, I better take two.

You might want to take three with you [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might want to take three with you [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took two and a vertex, now I know why I dropped it for the Spin.. Putting duties. Damn dog was too fired up. It's dumpster weekend here so I've been loading up the trash before the yearly disc golf.. A couple months ahead it's not til the end of May.. Anyhow didn't take the dog out yesterday.. Today I took my "first" Comet and my 180 Z.. Dog pissed off with my first Comet and tried to bury it in Moss.. I yelled at him... played another 4 holes and called it enough. I will try that again less the Vertex.. Maybe take 176 blue #2 comet with me..

Good times, good times.

I feel like I'm an amateur plus: I don't much care for tournaments, I'll play leagues occasionally, and I usually get out early by myself just to get a round in, but I do always push myself to be the best I can be without going to tournaments. I've worked on my form a lot over the last 10 years I've been playing and I consider myself pretty solid in the form department.

Now that my short novel is done, I'll get to the point- I picked up a Comet recently and realized that my form isn't nearly as solid as I thought. I'll get my Buzzz to go dead straight 300-320ft with no wobble or signs of OAT, but the Comet is a little more squirelly on me. To the comments recently about getting rid of a disc too quickly, I know people throw it really well, so I just need to give it some time and learn how to throw it. Looks like I have a lot of work to do :thmbup:

I feel like I'm an amateur plus: I don't much care for tournaments, I'll play leagues occasionally, and I usually get out early by myself just to get a round in, but I do always push myself to be the best I can be without going to tournaments. I've worked on my form a lot over the last 10 years I've been playing and I consider myself pretty solid in the form department.

Now that my short novel is done, I'll get to the point- I picked up a Comet recently and realized that my form isn't nearly as solid as I thought. I'll get my Buzzz to go dead straight 300-320ft with no wobble or signs of OAT, but the Comet is a little more squirelly on me. To the comments recently about getting rid of a disc too quickly, I know people throw it really well, so I just need to give it some time and learn how to throw it. Looks like I have a lot of work to do :thmbup:

Throw a buzzz like a driver, throw a comet like a putter - then watch them fly the same distance somehow

...but the Comet is a little more squirelly on me.
First of all, congrats on not giving up! You are already way ahead of most... including me when I first threw the Comet.

What plastic is your Comet? Is it flat or domey? Weight? What elevation are you throwing at? Was there wind? How far was it flying? Did you throw nose up or nose down? etc etc etc... stuff like this can make a Comet more or less squirrelly. There's a chance it might not be your fault.

I was at my local park with my dogs at the end of last summer (regular park with large fields no disc golf baskets) and saw a awesome pink z comet in the middle of one of the fields. I figured it belonged to one of the ultimate players who meet up here weekly.

No name/number on the disc. I would post in on the local disc golf page lost and found, but I wanted to try throwing it (while playing frisbee catch with the dogs).

Man, I was hucking that comet. at one point i wanted to see if I could get distance driver distance and threw it so far that it flew into thick brush where I didn't think I could actually reach distance wise (well over 350ft).

It ended up disappearing in that thick brush. i felt weirdly proud that I threw it further than I thought I could, but then felt guilty because that pretty pink z comet was probably someone's beloved.

I hoped that when fall/winter hit the brush would die down and that disc would reveal itself again. I would go back to that park every day and check around the area as the season changed but till now with the brush all gone that comet wasn't there.

Soon that foliage will be tall and thick again. I'm both a roc and comet thrower. Right now my bag has a cycle of KC pros. I contemplate putting comets back in the bag...

Maybe I'll just bring a couple comets to the park with my dogs... while they catch their own discs I can throw my comets for form and field work.

I should just leave one of my favorite comets out there for the next person to find.

UfINMBI.gif

Last edited:
I'm both a roc and comet thrower. Right now my bag has a cycle of KC pros. I contemplate putting comets back in the bag...
Roc/Comet is the endless struggle for me. They confuse me with both in the bag, so I end up being either/or. For me, Rocs are solid. Rocs go where I throw them and save me strokes. Comets are magical, when they execute they fly farther than they should and farther than my Rocs. You have to get the spell right, though. When they aren't magical, they get me in all sorts of trouble.

I stopped throwing Comets all through the '00's because I thought the object of disc golf was to score as low as you can. Then I remembered that disc golf is supposed to be fun, and Comets are so fun that even with my terrible form I want to throw them.

Either way I end up with one or the other in my bag for months at a time. When I switch and throw a Roc or Comet for the first time in a dozen weeks I think "Why did I stop throwing theses? Why don't I throw these all the time?"

Roc's and Comets?... you are a brave man. I have enough trouble tuning in some of my Comet's together let alone another mold. Like I can't bag my 167 pop top fly dye Z, or 172 big Z with any other Comet, alone it's fine, I can tune it in but with another Comet I just throw them both poorly.

I guess the bulk of my stash is light ESP 172-176 or (worn) Z 174-176... but my stash is only 10 Comet's, I'm not fancy like some of you folks. I generally pick the Comet with the appropriate stability for ambient temperature and wind and just throw the heck out of "one" through the summer season, even if I swap it as the temperature increases, it's just one comet.

(For anyone wondering about temperature, as the temperature increases the plastic gets softer and stability decreases and I think discs fly further in warm air than cold. Right now it's 172-174 freshish ESP flat tops since we are 5 degrees ish, come spring it's 176 worn ESP domey at 14+ degrees.. 30+ degrees and it's 176 or 180 Z..)

Roc/Comet is the endless struggle for me.

exact same situation for me as well....

i put away all my kc rocs in the winter to avoid breaking them and comets replace them.

then spring comes in where i think : "why take the comets out? you had so many magical shots with it.. "

inevitably spring/summer hits and those long touchy turnovers with comets become hyzer sidearms with drivers... the straight as an arrow floating drives become broken in kc roc throws.

This is why I go gila comet. I have yet to beat a fossil gila into something that will flip up and turn. Its just stuck in that flip up to flat, refuse to turn gently fade spot. Comets come out for longer shots and shots that need natural turn.
(Occasionally a buzzz in there too to muddy things up. Straight with fade longer than a gila or comet that fades)

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I have one Comet. Bought it because there seems to be so much love for it. Threw it maybe twice and into the stash it went. The thing is super domey and just felt bad in my hand.

Although I have no place for it in my bag, I am tempted to take it out to a wide open field and spend a little time and see what I can do with it.

I have one Comet. Bought it because there seems to be so much love for it. Threw it maybe twice and into the stash it went. The thing is super domey and just felt bad in my hand.

Although I have no place for it in my bag, I am tempted to take it out to a wide open field and spend a little time and see what I can do with it.

Same with me; first time I threw one. Just hated it.

Play a one disc round with it, it may change your mind. :thmbup:

Same with me; first time I threw one. Just hated it.

Play a one disc round with it, it may change your mind. :thmbup:

I feel like so many of us faithful Cometeers could say the exact same thing you just said :)
The first time I threw one, my options for a mid were Ontario Roc, Shark, Cobra, Panther, Condor, Hawk, Vortex, and Spitfre. It popped right up there toward the top of the list right from the start.

Ok. Dug my lone Comet out of my stash.

Looks like it's a newer-ish run of swirly ESP. Not quite as domey as I remember either.

Anyhow, I may try and play a single disc round and see if I can figure it out.

Any tips for throwing it? Someone said to throw it like a putter. I throw putters quite a bit so if throwing it like a putter is half the battle then maybe I can get the hang of it.

006ff3622d16a10c43448d953bdc2556.jpg

Ok. Dug my lone Comet out of my stash.

Looks like it's a newer-ish run of swirly ESP. Not quite as domey as I remember either.

Anyhow, I may try and play a single disc round and see if I can figure it out.

Any tips for throwing it? Someone said to throw it like a putter. I throw putters quite a bit so if throwing it like a putter is half the battle then maybe I can get the hang of it.

006ff3622d16a10c43448d953bdc2556.jpg
I'm no comet pro but I throw one a fair bit and I'd say that's about right. Magical in the woods.

Lol. Not only are there no woods around here but there's scarcely any trees.

I always chuckle when people talk about slamming their discs into trees. Always wondered how clearing that one small tree was so challenging. Then I figured out some people actually throw through the woods. No wonder they hit trees.

Just work on throwing without OAT and use high lines. The Comet loves spin and can handle somewhat of raised nose angle but will detect OAT like no other.

Do not power grip the Comet unless your form is perfect. Use a sabre, fork or fan grip.

If you can power grip the Comet and get a clean flight, you are in rare company.

I have good form with mids and putters. OAT isn't an issue for me.

My putter/mid grip is either some sort of modified fan grip or maybe a modified power grip. Not sure how to describe it but it works well for me.

I'll give the Comet a go when I get a chance and see what happens.

Thanks.

Latest posts