• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

I have a lot of Comets. :\

I have an unhealthy obsession with comets. I have three more in my bag and another three in the trunk of my car...smh.

409a747aa085fde4b457a2101aa5c269.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't love my 2018 MJ, felt like it didn't have the normal Comet glide to me.

Yeah, I should have not brought up the 2018s... that did cause some tempers to flair.

I still say that Ti is the way to go unless one is willing to buy a tall stack of a favorite run.

I didn't love my 2018 MJ, felt like it didn't have the normal Comet glide to me.
Something you can't say on the Internet: My primary 2018 I would have said had a lack of glide, but this fall for no reason I could think of it started to glide out farther for me. I mean it's obviously something I was doing, but I have no idea what. It's really like a different disc 2018/first part of '19 vs Fall of '19/present. I have no idea what I was doing to it before, but it bombs like a Comet now.

I bought some Cryztal Comets from Disc Junkie, one is stable and one is already at the perfect flippiness. Both have much better grip to my hands than any of the ESP Comets I have.

I have an unhealthy obsession with comets. I have three more in my bag and another three in the trunk of my car...smh.
Yeah...I have a problem and I've only got about 30; you have a full-fledged "Discraft needs to take out a restraining order"-type issue going on there. :eek:

Last edited:
Yeah it's kind of sad how people have missed out... round here noone touches mids , mostly drivers at 200' holes haha.. Oooh that rim doesn't feel as nice, that's weird.. I like something smoother.. And thinner..

TBH though until DGCR I had no idea either.. Had 50 discs before I got a Comet.. And got better.

Yeah it's kind of sad how people have missed out... round here noone touches mids , mostly drivers at 200' holes haha.. Oooh that rim doesn't feel as nice, that's weird.. I like something smoother.. And thinner..

TBH though until DGCR I had no idea either.. Had 50 discs before I got a Comet.. And got better.

So true. The majority of people I end up playing with throw anny flex drivers on every shot that isn't a putt.

I'm always amazed how many people don't know about comets. It's one of the three types of discs I throw that people always ask "wtf is that?"
We have a college here and all the time I end up trying to talk the college kids out of selling a Comet/Roc/whatever that they tried for a day and didn't like. It the whole "Be patient, learn how to throw backhand, go back to them in a year and work with them" speech. Left on their own, I think that entire crew of 40 guys would just flick PDs and Destroyers for the rest of their lives.

In a lot of ways I'm glad I leaned to play when there were so few options. I remember not liking deep putters and trying to avoid the Aviar like the plague when I started, but there were so few other options that I ended up sucking it up and learning to throw an Aviar. Now I never notice if a disc feels deep; it's not an issue. Players today have 50 kajillion shallow putters on the market to help they avoid learning to deal with disc with a deep grip, so there are going to be a lot of really great discs that they are never going to try.

I have a friend that I talked into buying an LE Comet back in the day, he tried to sell it to me after a few weeks. When I asked why, he gave me the "I don't know, it feels icky" song and dance. I went Red Forman on him and told him to put his big boy pants on, suck it up and throw the damn Comet. A couple of months later it was his Facebook profile picture when he aced with it.

tl;dr: People need more Red Forman in their lives.

We have a college here and all the time I end up trying to talk the college kids out of selling a Comet/Roc/whatever that they tried for a day and didn't like. It the whole "Be patient, learn how to throw backhand, go back to them in a year and work with them" speech. Left on their own, I think that entire crew of 40 guys would just flick PDs and Destroyers for the rest of their lives.

I have a friend that I talked into buying an LE Comet back in the day, he tried to sell it to me after a few weeks. When I asked why, he gave me the "I don't know, it feels icky" song and dance. I went Red Forman on him and told him to put his big boy pants on, suck it up and throw the damn Comet. A couple of months later it was his Facebook profile picture when he aced with it.

tl;dr: People need more Red Forman in their lives.

As a college kid myself, who quite closely resembles Eric Forman, I couldn't agree more that the world right now needs infinitely more Red everywhere.

I'm always amazed how many people don't know about comets. It's one of the three types of discs I throw that people always ask "wtf is that?"

How strange. People usually just say, "wtf how did you get all the way over there?" When I throw.

Threw my beat Elite-X Comet on a downhill hole that is almost a 90° bend to the basket at the bottom of the hill. I ended up 50' or so past the pin and missed the putt.

Picked up an X and a 2019 MJ the other day. They bookend my ESP and Big Z perfectly, and now I have a full spectrum of Comet flights.

Played a Comet(s) only round right after buying them, still putting with my P2s for the sake of getting good putting practice in. Tied my personal best score on the course, granted there were no par 4 pin placements in. So glad I finally decided to try this mold out.
6ab5e079d88435ef2a79986ffe995bd7.jpg
c2fab7614612210c48177d3ea0880c8d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Picked up an X and a 2019 MJ the other day. They bookend my ESP and Big Z perfectly, and now I have a full spectrum of Comet flights.

Played a Comet(s) only round right after buying them, still putting with my P2s for the sake of getting good putting practice in. Tied my personal best score on the course, granted there were no par 4 pin placements in. So glad I finally decided to try this mold out.
6ab5e079d88435ef2a79986ffe995bd7.jpg
c2fab7614612210c48177d3ea0880c8d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

The last new x comet I had was pretty stable (read: finished with fade) for a comet. I have a lot of comets and none ever started "beefy" like that. It was more of a roc ish flight. I gave it to my dad. That being said, I'm sure it'll beat into a nice comet eventually, he hits a lot of trees.

The last new x comet I had was pretty stable (read: finished with fade) for a comet. I have a lot of comets and none ever started "beefy" like that. It was more of a roc ish flight. I gave it to my dad. That being said, I'm sure it'll beat into a nice comet eventually, he hits a lot of trees.

I've found a lot of the new runs of comets have the high shoulder, a little more dome and some extra stability. Even the new X's have decent stability...I mean for an X-Comet.

I've found a lot of the new runs of comets have the high shoulder, a little more dome and some extra stability. Even the new X's have decent stability...I mean for an X-Comet.

You know I was just flipping open my phone to see what was new in the Comet thread... and I thought:

"Damn I need more Comet's, I don't know why, I don't know which Comet I will throw today... Hey where's that pink 180 Z? Where's my ESP LE red 176 it should be time for that to get back in the bag... hmmm maybe it's " meatball" day. 172 style... maybe go retro with 174 clear Z, or 176 blue, the first and second Comet's I bought"....

.. And just like that you cured me. Thanks!

.. I still am not sure which one to throw, I better take two.

Latest posts