• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Elite C replacement

Figured I would post an update/review if anyone cares. Trying to replace my beat in Elite X comet.

I had an old pfn Z comet I pulled back out. I don't like the feel of Z plastic as much, but it has the same hyzer flip to late turnover as the elite x, maybe a touch more stability at the end though.

I just got one of the swirly esp icon team comets, they fly very well but are considerably more stable, it will hold a hyzer well and gets a little drift right on a flat release, but stays pretty straight with some more stability at the end.

I also found a Jawbreaker one with an MJ signature stamp, I think this is the best replacement for elite X. I like the softer plastic, and it has the least fade compared to the other two. I fear that the jawbreaker might beat in too quickly and become a little bit too flippy, but out of the box it's been great.

got my 1st comet ace (cubby). threw the new pink z for fun on a 270 downhill shot; rhbh flat & a little to the right then it faded at just the right time into the basket, fun to watch. i wonder if i can recreate that same shot next time.

Figured I would post an update/review if anyone cares. Trying to replace my beat in Elite X comet.

I had an old pfn Z comet I pulled back out. I don't like the feel of Z plastic as much, but it has the same hyzer flip to late turnover as the elite x, maybe a touch more stability at the end though.

I just got one of the swirly esp icon team comets, they fly very well but are considerably more stable, it will hold a hyzer well and gets a little drift right on a flat release, but stays pretty straight with some more stability at the end.

I also found a Jawbreaker one with an MJ signature stamp, I think this is the best replacement for elite X. I like the softer plastic, and it has the least fade compared to the other two. I fear that the jawbreaker might beat in too quickly and become a little bit too flippy, but out of the box it's been great.
To me, Jawbreaker is a putter plastic. I like it in putters, but it beats in far too quickly for mids IMO.

I felt the same way about R-Pro plastic; if you like floppy putters it was a good putter plastic, but all the other discs Innova made from it got beat up from landing in grass. :| It just wasn't durable enough.

Ts712zR.jpg

Just a Comet, doing Comet things. Probably threw one on 2/3 of the holes I played at Stony Creek yesterday - and we played both 18 hole courses. This was on a 280ish foot hole with a gentle turnover line.

To me, Jawbreaker is a putter plastic. I like it in putters, but it beats in far too quickly for mids IMO.

I felt the same way about R-Pro plastic; if you like floppy putters it was a good putter plastic, but all the other discs Innova made from it got beat up from landing in grass. :| It just wasn't durable enough.

Sorry to threadjack but we have to acknowledge the abomination that is "driver Rpro" - **** at least give me a floppy Boss. What in the world was that waxy nonsense?

(Sorry Comet thread I know)

Sorry to threadjack but we have to acknowledge the abomination that is "driver Rpro" - **** at least give me a floppy Boss. What in the world was that waxy nonsense?

(Sorry Comet thread I know)
Some things are just so terrible that you have to stop wherever you are and acknowledge that we as a species can do better. K-cars. Nickelback. Supply-side economics. Driver R-Pro. :(

Comets at least help us balance things out a bit. :thmbup:

Anyone remember when Koling was throwing R-Pro Boss for max D? "oh that was my stable one". Well Jerm if you threw it in the practice round, now it's not...

Saw the prettiest swirly blue ESP Comet in a shop yesterday and didn't buy it. I cannot abide the stiff, slick ESP plastic DC is producing these days. Definitely not the same as the older ESP.

Saw the prettiest swirly blue ESP Comet in a shop yesterday and didn't buy it. I cannot abide the stiff, slick ESP plastic DC is producing these days. Definitely not the same as the older ESP.

My old LE ESP Comet is way nicer feeling than my 2022 MJ ESP one, but I wouldn't say the newer one is bad. The mold on the newer ones has more texture to it, so maybe that's why it still grips so nice. I think once it gets enough throws, it's going to scuff into a really nice level of grip.

Just picked up a new gorgeous ESP Comet a couple weeks ago with a perfect shape. I too get apprehensive about new ESP discs with grip, but it isn't too bad and feels like it'll break in great! Had a bit of extra flashing I had to sand off but whatever.

My old LE ESP Comet is way nicer feeling than my 2022 MJ ESP one, but I wouldn't say the newer one is bad. The mold on the newer ones has more texture to it, so maybe that's why it still grips so nice. I think once it gets enough throws, it's going to scuff into a really nice level of grip.

Just picked up a new gorgeous ESP Comet a couple weeks ago with a perfect shape. I too get apprehensive about new ESP discs with grip, but it isn't too bad and feels like it'll break in great! Had a bit of extra flashing I had to sand off but whatever.

Even the ESP from 4-5 years ago was nice, I'm convinced they changed the recipe. Grip generally isn't an issue for me, even with Z/champion but the slick ESP is no bueno. They're sure purty though, y'all keep us posted on how they wear in.

Even the ESP from 4-5 years ago was nice, I'm convinced they changed the recipe. Grip generally isn't an issue for me, even with Z/champion but the slick ESP is no bueno. They're sure purty though, y'all keep us posted on how they wear in.

More than anything, I notice the change in the mold. From the old, domey AF ones with smooth bottoms, to the newer, flat ones, with the tooling textured into the bottom. Anyone know if the new mold produces any domey ones anymore?

More than anything, I notice the change in the mold. From the old, domey AF ones with smooth bottoms, to the newer, flat ones, with the tooling textured into the bottom. Anyone know if the new mold produces any domey ones anymore?
In ESP? No, not that I have seen. Z's are better for dome. X's appear to be extinct so I have not seen a new one in ages.

To be fair (toooo beeee FAAAAIIIIRRRR!) ESP Comets have suffered from the flat issue since they went into regular production. The only reason I have a new-ish ESP is because I got it as a gift. I've never seen a non-LE ESP Comet that had enough dome for my liking.

It's nice to have an old Comet thrower back on the board; I think these kids like the flat ones. :\

I think these kids like the flat ones. :\

ew, gross!! :hfive:

The domey ones are such different discs, but I'm at least pleased that they changed the mold enough that the flat ones aren't just all-turn-all-the-time anymore. Those second run LE flat ones were awful. I got more control and lines available from my 168g domey LE than I did out of the 178+ flat one. The flat ones back then were just one trick ponies. I had to dial back my power so much I was probably throwing them 40-50 feet shorter, if I wanted a straight shot or hyzer flip, and even more if I wanted a hyzer...

All 3 of my "modern" flat Comets (the max weight MJ and Big Z, and a 168g Z) can take a heap of power, without turning and burning, and have pretty consistent fade.

ew, gross!! :hfive:

The domey ones are such different discs, but I'm at least pleased that they changed the mold enough that the flat ones aren't just all-turn-all-the-time anymore. Those second run LE flat ones were awful. I got more control and lines available from my 168g domey LE than I did out of the 178+ flat one. The flat ones back then were just one trick ponies. I had to dial back my power so much I was probably throwing them 40-50 feet shorter, if I wanted a straight shot or hyzer flip, and even more if I wanted a hyzer...

All 3 of my "modern" flat Comets (the max weight MJ and Big Z, and a 168g Z) can take a heap of power, without turning and burning, and have pretty consistent fade.
I avoided the flat ESP's for a long time; the old ones to me every once in a while could hook up and fly a nice Comet line, but they were bitch touchy and turned and burned on me a lot. They were so inconsistent for me that I couldn't justify keeping them around. Usually when I did get a nice ride from one, I wasn't expecting it and it would glide 100' past where I thought it was going. They drove me nuts!

I didn't get another flat Comet until the Glo ESP run of MJ Comets, which I ordered sight unseen on the Internet. I was hopping mad when I got it and saw how flat it was, but like you said it's got a very different flight than what I was expecting.

EnvyThrower is the only flat-Cometeer and I don't think he even throws Comets any more. I have three LE ESP and they're all flattish. Was throwing a few the other day and put a 180g LE in the mix. It's one of the flatter Comets in my stash and it definitely lets you know it wants some spin. Probably the longest of the test group with the right angle and power. Threw an older Z, very old TP, 2015 ledgestone TI and the LE ESP. In order of most to least dome:

TP
TI and Z tie
ESP

They all have some Comet magic but the TI is going in the winter bag. It's actually a nice blue color, decent grip and I was kinda vibing with it.

It's always fun to go shopping in my storage bins 😁

EnvyThrower is the only flat-Cometeer and I don't think he even throws Comets any more. I have three LE ESP and they're all flattish. Was throwing a few the other day and put a 180g LE in the mix. It's one of the flatter Comets in my stash and it definitely lets you know it wants some spin. Probably the longest of the test group with the right angle and power. Threw an older Z, very old TP, 2015 ledgestone TI and the LE ESP. In order of most to least dome:

TP
TI and Z tie
ESP

They all have some Comet magic but the TI is going in the winter bag. It's actually a nice blue color, decent grip and I was kinda vibing with it.

The second run LE ESPs had a bunch (usually max weight, orange ones, but I've seen other colors too) that were flat and flippy. I tended to seek out the light weight, neon yellow ones. Those were domey af. My main ESP one currently is one of those. They're domey like the old TP ones, though I've got a couple TP that are flatter than my last neon yellow LE.

The early production Z ones were pretty domey as well. My two main Comets are pinkish orange Z plastic (the same color blend they used to run my favorite MRVs in), and are just as domey as my LE ESP one.

My modern (tournament stamp from 2020) Z one is kinda the middle of the ones I currently bag, with the 2022 MJ ESP being next flattest, and the Big Z being the flattest I currently own.

I've got some 1st run TP Glow Comets, and the early (pre-stamp) Glow Z Comets that are staples of my glow bag, that are all domey AF.

I'm guessing somewhere between the production Z ones, and the newer ones, they changed the mold to one with less dome, and my light weight 2020 Z one is a domier example, while the Big Z and MJ ESP are ones that molded/cooled flatter.

Though, that said, I almost wanna say the MJ is from a totally different mold. There's something about the way the outside of the lip is formed that looks like a different shape (more angular), rather than just how the other ones cooled differently in the mold...

3rd run (? 4th?.. Orange anyways) esp were the domiest esp, I wish I hadn't dumped them, but I got a 143 FR fizz photon in trade that helped me win a tournament or two. The infinite "sweet and simple" esp run a couple years back also had decent dome.

I was just thinking about you folks and thinking I should pull my flat yellow ESP's out for some winter disc. I gotta admit I've forsaken the comet temporarily for the 180g uplinks. They are a decent X replacement for winter/ rocky terrain and a little more consistent than some of my flat tops.

I will also give you all some props on getting me to work in some of my domey comets to get to the "straight ultraglide" level of beat in. They are nice when you get there.

TP
TI and Z tie
ESP

No he's not! I seem to have taken a real nice liking to the flatter Comets, especially the old ESP ones. Nice flip up to turn shots that nothing else will do. If I wanted a straight hard mid shot, I'll reach for my Buzzz, since that's how domey premium plastic Comets have always behaved for me.

Latest posts