• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

No he's not! I seem to have taken a real nice liking to the flatter Comets, especially the old ESP ones. Nice flip up to turn shots that nothing else will do. If I wanted a straight hard mid shot, I'll reach for my Buzzz, since that's how domey premium plastic Comets have always behaved for me.

The older, flat ESP Comets just fly like a slower Meteor...

3rd run (? 4th?.. Orange anyways) esp were the domiest esp, I wish I hadn't dumped them, but I got a 143 FR fizz photon in trade that helped me win a tournament or two. The infinite "sweet and simple" esp run a couple years back also had decent dome.

I was just thinking about you folks and thinking I should pull my flat yellow ESP's out for some winter disc. I gotta admit I've forsaken the comet temporarily for the 180g uplinks. They are a decent X replacement for winter/ rocky terrain and a little more consistent than some of my flat tops.

I will also give you all some props on getting me to work in some of my domey comets to get to the "straight ultraglide" level of beat in. They are nice when you get there.
Orange 3rd run LE Comets are my jam. All the other colors seem to be gone. :(

I had one buddy that I sold a blue one to; right after he aced with it and was all like "Comets for life"; he left it in a basket a few weeks after that. :\ It got worse; he decided he wanted the 11X KC Pro Roc I was throwing and traded me for that. He let his five-year old throw it in the yard, the kid left it in the yard and he ran over it with a lawn mower. :eek:

I quit trading him discs after that. By the time he moved, everyone in town had a story about some sweet disc they traded him that he lost in a general airhead sorta way.

Last edited:
Orange 3rd run LE Comets are my jam. All the other colors seem to be gone. :(

I had one buddy that I sold a blue one to; right after he aced with it and was all like "Comets for life"; he left it is a basket a few weeks after that. :\ It got worse; he decided he wanted the 11X KC Pro Roc I was throwing and traded me for that. He let his five-year old throw it in the yard, the kid left it in the yard and he ran over it with a lawn mower. :eek:

I quit trading him discs after that. By the time he moved, everyone in town had a story about some sweet disc they traded him that he lost is a general airhead sorta way.

Ha, that reminds me of my buddy Bobbo.. He was complaining about his backhand game.. I lent/kinda gave him my dark blue rainbow foil 179 elite x Saturn stamp comet. I told him to throw it everywhere and he'd be good, if he didn't like it give it back..

He threw it on one hole #19 only, that was his one disc for one hole.. He didn't learn squat and lost it at some point because he probably threw multiples. It still haunts me in my nightmares

So I noticed something about the heavy, flat top Comets. They seem to have a tendency to stall out on sky anhyzers. I threw several shots with the MJ ESP and Big Z ones I've got today that should've been good for 320 feet of distance of a giant, high (40-50 feet in the air) anhyzer line - and neither of them made it to the apex of the turn.

It made me sad.

So I noticed something about the heavy, flat top Comets. They seem to have a tendency to stall out on sky anhyzers. I threw several shots with the MJ ESP and Big Z ones I've got today that should've been good for 320 feet of distance of a giant, high (40-50 feet in the air) anhyzer line - and neither of them made it to the apex of the turn.

It made me sad.

I haven't got an MJ esp, but I've got a lot of esp flatties, and some big Z's... I do not throw them that far and that is not the problem I've really experienced haha. :D

I like them because they turn easier... I will concede that they have a bit more of a panning fade when they run out of spin. I'd say a flat esp turns easier but also pans a little wider when the run out of juice.

The domey ones will glide better if you have enough spin on it and once you overcome the initial stability... they will also hold straighter and fade straighter off the line but it will start sooner.

Flatty for OOB straight goodness and big (low haha) anhyzer turns, Domey for stable shots that beats into straight after a few years. If you are a hyzer flipper you want dome. Flat armer or single angle then flatty's.

Last edited:

It made me sad.
I've only got one Big Z Comet and it's like 173g, it used to get over on sky anhyzer before I destroyed my shoulder.

Since I tore my rotator cuff, I can't throw that shot anymore. Or throw forehands. Or get enough snap to make anything turn over.

Basically cry me a river. :|

I'm outta here, folks. It's been fun chatting about Comets, but this forum isn't right.

Hit me up on Instagram, skamanda42 if you're ever in the area, and want to get a round in.

I'm outta here, folks. It's been fun chatting about Comets, but this forum isn't right.

Hit me up on Instagram, skamanda42 if you're ever in the area, and want to get a round in.

Don't leave so soon, I will take my flat comet talk away and stick to skulking in the gyro threads :D

What area? I don't travel much these days but if I'm around I'll definitely reach out!

How are the CryZtal Sparkle Comet – Ledgestone 2022s?

Since someone bugged me to come back I was actually going to post about one, actually. Just got delivery of one yesterday so I can dye it. It feels SO. NICE. in the hand! More shoulder dome than the current generation of flat ones, but not as domey as the old ones. Kinda tucks into the curve of my palm perfectly. I might give it some throws tomorrow to try it out, before my safari league starts, but with as many leaves as are on the ground right now I'm not sure I'll throw it more than just in a field. Clear is hard to see in the leaves...

So I managed to get out and play a few holes after work today, on a course without any leaves - so I could get a few throws in with the Cryztal Sparkle Comet.

That thing is straaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaight!

Seriously, I was not expecting it to be the straightest of the max weight Comets I own, but if I had to rank them in stability it'd be like this, from least to most overstable:

Cryztal Sparkle
2022 MJ ESP
Big Z

It's decently long, but I was losing light, so I didn't want to throw a bunch of shots side by side to see where it ranks in terms of distance potential. It's long enough to be a Comet, and that's good enough for me for now. Time to pull it out of my bag, and get some dye into it!

I have a Crystal Sparkle arriving next week and looking forward to adding it to the collection. Thanks for the flight report.

For my birthday I was given a Z Comet and I don't know why I've slept on this for so long, they are amazing! I'm a Roc3 thrower and it seems like the perfect complement.

Just ordered another: one of the swirly ESP comets (looks like a newer run with good dome). While I anxiously wait for it to arrive, has anyone thrown these?

I stopped into a local disc store and checked out their supply of Comets. Apparently they're still managing to get old school dome out of the newer discs. Didn't buy any, but it gives me hope!

Just ordered another: one of the swirly ESP comets (looks like a newer run with good dome). While I anxiously wait for it to arrive, has anyone thrown these?

Only non Innova I bag is the ESP swirly Comet which is $. Holds gentle sweeping anny lines like a dream...1-2' from an ace today with it...settled for the birdie.

The more I throw it, the more I like the new ESP MJ tour series with the classic stamp. It's rapidly taking every shot that needs that laser beam line, gentle turns, or big anhyzers that need to fade to flat at the end. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do, because it's heavy, but it's really been flying nice...

Latest posts