• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

So I was digging around in the PIAS used bin and found a 9/10 Z Comet. No rim tooling and patent number/Walled Lake on the flight plate. Very finger printy, oils were obviously leeching out of it. It was beautiful though and I gladly paid the $10 for it.

Raced home and decided to run it under some warm water to clean it up. The damn thing basically disintegrated in my hands. I know old champ/Z is prone to blowing up if you smack a tree but this surprised me.

Slightly heartbroken 😢

Yeah if/when it starts to get cloudy or show fingerprints, it's not worth investing in the disc for the long term. I'd throw $10 at it myself though. My first comet that I carried for many years (and my first comet ace) now sits in storage.

But at least you get a good 12-15 years before that point. I wonder if there's a way to store them that will minimize the plastic breakdown (other than inside away from UV exposure)

Damn those glow Z are nice, had mine forever. It borders on X stability with a little fade.. I should pull that out. Halloween glow is coming!

Wow really? Is it beat in? My glow Z ones (before they had stamps for them) are pretty stable. I've got one of the old old 1st run Comets in glow plastic that's flippy like X, but the more modern glow ones were always more overstable, in my experience...

Wow really? Is it beat in? My glow Z ones (before they had stamps for them) are pretty stable. I've got one of the old old 1st run Comets in glow plastic that's flippy like X, but the more modern glow ones were always more overstable, in my experience...

Hmmmm probably at about a 2010 vintage, approximately.. Only glow one I got. Maybe it is an early run, beat to sweet and magical, probably about my 3rd comet (4th if you discount the one my dog lost) getting close to worrying about throwing it too much and discerdoo has me worried. Gotta lotta miles on the original 3 or 5.. Usually play it in the shoulder seasons before it gets too warm and "touchy".

Any chance of pics? I've never seen that happen, and I'm curious what the breakdown looks like...

no pics but I had the same thing happen to me 4 years ago, picked up a super fingerprinty Z Wasp from a used bin and it disintegrated when I got home and washed it in the sink.

Man...I've got a 150 Z Flick and an ESP Avenger I'd be afraid to wash, then. I may have to try it anyway, out of scientific curiosity...

Snakes and sparklers...this IS the good stuff.

I washed an old JK Valk the other day truth be told. First time since I got it...didnt discintigrate but I don't look forward to washing it again. Honestly I kinda hope it explodes on a tree when the inevitable happens.

If it cracks but doesn't explode I'm tracking down some Nipsy Dazers (with or without the scooter stick)

jzT1MMq.jpg

Is anyone interested in any of these Elite Pro Comets? The bottom right is marked 1st Run Comet from the factory. I had them sitting in storage for years, and just went through the box of stuff there and decided they were worth taking offers on. I never liked how flippy the Elite Pro ones were. I'm not sure on the weights of most of them, other than the top right was a light weight (168'ish?) one that I ordered back in the day. The rest were from random spottings in used bins and such...

jzT1MMq.jpg

Is anyone interested in any of these Elite Pro Comets? The bottom right is marked 1st Run Comet from the factory. I had them sitting in storage for years, and just went through the box of stuff there and decided they were worth taking offers on. I never liked how flippy the Elite Pro ones were. I'm not sure on the weights of most of them, other than the top right was a light weight (168'ish?) one that I ordered back in the day. The rest were from random spottings in used bins and such...
Oh...'96 Worlds!

FWIW the Tournament Pro Comets (Elite Pro was a different plastic that was closer to Elite X) were OK and all. I mean Ron Russell won '99 Worlds throwing them. They really are not great throwers, though.

My theory? Tournament Pro was a really shrinky plastic (if shrinky isn't a word, it is now) so the discs they made in it were domey and smaller diameter. For some molds (think Cyclone) this was key in molding up good discs. Tournament Pro Cyclones are faster and longer than any other Cyclones.

For the Comet? Well, the "larger diameter than a Roc" thing IMO is where that magic glide comes from. The premium plastics pack out the mold better so X, Z and ESP Comets are noticeably larger in diameter than Tournament Pro Comets.

That's my guess as to why you never clicked with them. Which...kinda craps all over a sale post but you didn't put it in the marketplace :mad: so...even?

Latest posts