• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Comet: The second best mid range on the market today besides the Buzzz

lol thanks buddy

As much as I love craft, they really need to understand that discs that good players like aren't going to fly off shelves. i.e.; talon- ive seen a bunch of sponsored pros (mark Ellis, geoffy(sp?) Bennett, mark Henery(local)) swear by this disc yet it's oop. I love the talon but if it was re-released I'd still be tossin my opaque z's. They can't expect every disc to be a magnet or buzzz. I mean why disc. the mrv when there's nothing wrong with it besides it's not a buzzz. Plus I can't imagine the putt'r, rattler, or apx selling more than the reaper, wildcat, and talon. And what about the spectra and eclipse, are those flying off shelves?
Like I posted before, the le comets did rott on shelves, but at that same store they have xl's with the old stamp ( with the D that's a basket). Does that mean the z xl should become oop?

it's just really hard for the major companies to produce discs for higher end players because the majority of their sales come from new players who just want whatever the new "hot" disc is, i think they should do runs of discs like the talon, esp comet, etc. but make them only available through special order via their website for say $2-$3 extra, that way those discs aren't oop, they aren't rotting on shelves and people who want them can still get them. that's just my opinion though, i'm sure there are plenty of flaws with it.

Comet is also considered a lid; larger diameter.

Hm. Haven't heard that one before.
According to the PDGA Approved Discs and Targets document (http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/PDGA_approved_discs_12309.pdf) the Comet measures 21.8cm in diameter, the Roc measures 21.7cm in diameter. That's a difference of 0.1cm or 0.03937". That is 1/32" or the thickness of 13 pieces of notebook paper (I have dial calipers on my desk). Is the Roc considered a lid, too?

I don't know which plastic the PDGA measured when they approved the Comet but maybe it shrunk more than the current blends. Either way the Comet isn't significantly larger than a Roc.

The flight path of the Comet is very lid-like though. In terms of power input/snap ratio, armspeed, and flight pattern, I think it is one of the easiest discs for transitioning Ultimate players.

It may not be a jaguar, but it's larger than the buzz.

Again, by 13 pieces of notebook paper.
The Roc and the Buzzz are approved at the same diameter, 21.7cm vs. the Comet's 21.8cm.

I'm really not trying to hassel you; I'm just informing those who have never seen a Comet. They are barely larger than the Roc or Buzzz you are already throwing. The larger diameter helps give the Comet its tremendous glide.
Trivia.

The Comet was approved in Tournament Pro plastic, which shrunk quite a bit out of the mold. The numbers listed in the PDGA approval are those numbers.

Now that TP is gone and you get ESP and Z Comets, the resulting discs do not shrink nearly as much and the diameter of those Comets are actually larger than the 21.8 listed. I have a TP, an X and two Z Comets in my bag. The X and Z Comets stand up noticeably taller that the TP. The current Comets have more like a 21.9 or 22.0 cm diameter.

Trivia over.

So I did some measuring with my 12" dial calipers. Interesting to see how differently each blend of plastic cools and shrinks, assuming the same Rancho mold was used for all 3 Rocs.

All discs are either unthrown or have only 1 or 2 throws. Measurements are taken from the lowest flashing points of the diameter.

X Comet- 8.615"
ESP Comet- 8.67"
Z Comet- 8.68"
DX Roc- 8.475"
KC Roc- 8.458"
Champ Roc- 8.53"
Z Buzzz- 8.503"

So the biggest difference is between a KC Pro Roc and a Z Comet- a difference of 0.222" according to my samples.

I was wrong before when I said the Comet is 13 pieces of paper larger than a Roc or Buzzz. It is more like 72 or 73 pieces of paper. Not an enormous difference but it is more significant than I originally thought.

The Comet is my midrange of preference. Took a while for me to realize it, I carried rocs and comets together in my bag alot, but noticed late last summer that I almost exclusively threw the comets, and the rocs were just for hyzer shots in a headwind, for me at least.

I have worked with the disc a lot, and will admit that most DGers cannot just pick it up and throw it well. Once you learn how to throw it though, I agree with Marmoset's assessment that it will help you in all other phases of your game (except putting :p )

It is more like 72 or 73 pieces of paper. Not an enormous difference but it is more significant than I originally thought.

Now wait a sec, you talkin' ya basic 20lb. bond here, 24lb. vellum writing, or like a 60lb. cover stock? I mean, as long as you're getting technical... :p

I've noticed that most comet lovers have long pony tails and wear tie dyed teeshirts and smell residge.

4-steve-urkel.jpg

This is much closer.