• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Do it! I've found that rounds with a light X Comet are even better for form diagnosis and practice than putter-only rounds. My Comets are less forgiving of poor form than my Judges and when thrown with good form can go farther and cover more lines so not only is it better practice but I actually have more options off the tee with just one disc.

Nice man.

What exactly do I need to look for when throwing a Comet to determine if my form is off?

OAT, or off axis tilt. The comet will start to turn and burn or drift right unintentionally. (RHBH) it will also hyzer out if you don't get a flat throw. The goal with practice and the comet is to achieve the beautiful straight forward throw that just drops to the ground.

OAT, or off axis tilt. The comet will start to turn and burn or drift right unintentionally. (RHBH) it will also hyzer out if you don't get a flat throw. The goal with practice and the comet is to achieve the beautiful straight forward throw that just drops to the ground.

Thanks. I'll be sure to look for that next time I'm playin :thmbup:

Nice man.

What exactly do I need to look for when throwing a Comet to determine if my form is off?

jdw is correct. The beauty of the comet is that it will fly however you throw it. You should be able to see in the disc's flight what you did wrong (or right.) With correct mechanics, if you throw it smoothly, flat and level, the flight should be laser straight with a minimal fade (if at all.) It should hold a hyzer line and an anhyzer line to the ground. You should be able to get a little flip-to-flat when thrown low and hard from a hyzer. It should slowly drift right (RHBH) thrown low, hard and flat. The only line it doesn't do well is a flex line. It doesn't have any low speed over-stability.

Also, there is something supremely beautiful in the flight of a comet. It's flight is very serene and tends to affect the other players in your group (in a positive way.) Comets tend to make me grin ear-to-ear all the time because of this.

jdw is correct. The beauty of the comet is that it will fly however you throw it. You should be able to see in the disc's flight what you did wrong (or right.) With correct mechanics, if you throw it smoothly, flat and level, the flight should be laser straight with a minimal fade (if at all.) It should hold a hyzer line and an anhyzer line to the ground. You should be able to get a little flip-to-flat when thrown low and hard from a hyzer. It should slowly drift right (RHBH) thrown low, hard and flat. The only line it doesn't do well is a flex line. It doesn't have any low speed over-stability.

Also, there is something supremely beautiful in the flight of a comet. It's flight is very serene and tends to affect the other players in your group (in a positive way.) Comets tend to make me grin ear-to-ear all the time because of this.

I love that last bit. It's so true. I think part of it is how long you have to watch it because it takes a long time to glide out on 300'+ throws.

I just played a putter (DX discmania P2) + beat to crap elite X comet only round at my home course. I only scored 3 strokes higher than my usual good rounds. ;)

I didn't even have trouble on the big dog leg holes (where I'd normally throw a gator/firebird off the tee). You just have to remind yourself to give the comet extreme hyzer and keep the hyzerline arm slot throughout the whole follow through (personally I imagine keeping my swing plane consistent like a golf swing graphic).

One of the big dogleg holes goes 250ft down and very left and I did a sidearm flick (I'm a LHBH dominant) which I thought went long out of bounds but I held my palm up and stayed true to the big hyzer swing plane and it skipped right into the circle. I hit the putt for a birdie where I normally take a 3 using a PD/firebird or Gator with a sidearm.

And on the last hole (par 4), which off the tee is a nice open shot, I remembered to just give it a nice smooth pull and go only 85% into the swing held the hyzer plane on release and it flipped up faded left a bit then faded back right gently... I measured it at 330ft. Normally I can get tern/destroyer/katana a lot further, but damn that 330ft gentle hyzerflip with the comet was a lot more satisfying than the usual high speed driver crush.

I'm pretty confident with my sidearm game now and using the comet isn't any harder than sidearming a Roc... in fact as long as you keep true to form with your swing plane you get rewarded (where with a Roc/Gator/Roc3 you have to compensate for the discs innate overstability).

It wasn't all perfect though... there were times where I really wanted to crank some holes (a lot of 270-320ft straight, tight, low ceiling shots) and I'd OAT the drive into trouble. Once you release it.. you know... you should've thrown within yourself (maybe 80% swing and just keep true arm plane/slot hyzer angle) and just trust the comet to do its thing...

Ah the comet.....

Just bought an "X" Comet last week and boy, this is a fun disc to throw!

Did a lot of field work with it against a DX Cobra and a champion Panther (I bag the Panther) and I'm amazed at how far it goes with such little effort. Holds pretty much any line you put on it. Going to take it out on my next casual round and pit it against my Panther to see if the Comet can kick it out.

I got a cryztal comet just to clean up form. Very unpredictable disc windy or not. Even when it flipped up it drifted right. Then I made myself put it in the bag and use it. Now I can throw it 275-300' hyzerflip or turnover and 250-275 on a hyzer. It powers down well too. I don't trust it into the wind but I find myself using more and more. All my other discs fly better now. Now I throw a buzzz when I need more stability where I used to throw it straight or turnovers now it fades. It's making me better.

Put a X and TI comet back in the bag and am wondering why I ever took them out.

Quick question. I'm planning on working some backhand rollers into my game, is the comet suitable for this? I know you can roll any disc but should I be looking elsewhere for more consistent shots?

The ESP Meteor can be rolled, but will need a bit of seasoning. Without knowing your power/skill level, it's difficult to recommend a specific disc. Another easy roller disc is the DX Wolf. Extremely easy to roll right out of the box. From time to time I've been known to have a Wolf in my bag(Very situational, a course I play once a year has a short kind of horse shoe shaped hole and I throw a roller with a wolf).

Quick question. I'm planning on working some backhand rollers into my game, is the comet suitable for this? I know you can roll any disc but should I be looking elsewhere for more consistent shots?

My beat x comet is my go to backhand roller for shorter distances.

I forehand roll dx rocs for short distances and placement rollers.

Stuff like x stratus and stingrays will be longer than either of those for backhand rollers.

I haven't tried rolling one but, I don't see why a Comet can't be rolled, just depends on the line you're trying to hit.

I'll give the Comet a test next time I'm on the field to see how it works. One of my favorite mid rollers is a Champion Panther and I don't think it's all that far from a Comet, we'll see.

you have to execute perfect roller form* with 0% OAT with the comet. ;)

*but if you do the roller is beautiful. :p

I started throwing a comet 2 years ago. When i first started, to me i hated it. i stopped throwing them after a week. I dont think i had the form required for a comet. I just started throwing a comet again last week. I throw a max weight 175. it is flippy. look up hole 5 at harbin. Threw a nice anny line and it held it all the way. i was 6 feet from the basket. This disc is a keeper in my bag.

The perfect form for rollers thing is what's making me second guess them. I'm not looking to become a roller master, just bust one out when the shot calls for it, which is 1 out of 400 shots for me.

Latest posts