• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Out doing field practice today in a baseball field. I was throwing from home plate and with my Z Comet , hit the fence about 30 foot from the corner. The corner was marked 300 feet, so about 310 distance maybe. I am feeling pretty good about this throw, especially with a mid. I think my form is coming together

I don't throw the Comet, it turns over on me - ugh! I found an old elite X in the river - pretty good shape (7.5 I would say), old Discraft stamp on it, picture of Comet flying through space??? Is it valueable to Comet thrower/lover?

This one:

elitexcomet.jpg

or this one:

$%28KGrHqEOKowFIJwSo3-fBSKRI9,jQg~~60_35.JPG

First one is slightly collectable (Comet market is really weak other than old Tournament Pros). Second one is a good thrower but not collectable. PM me either way, I'm a Comet guy.

Could someone please compare/contrast the Comet in X, Z and ESP plastics? What are the pros and cons of the Comet in each plastic? What are the differences in stability?

Thanks in advance.

Could someone please compare/contrast the Comet in X, Z and ESP plastics? What are the pros and cons of the Comet in each plastic? What are the differences in stability?

Thanks in advance.

I use an ESP (177g) and a Z (174). The ESP has a nice flat top where my Z has some dome. This has made the ESP a little more stable and not as glidey as the Z. I typically use the ESP when I need a nice long Comet shot from a stand still. Grip with the ESP is stellar. My Z is my workhorse and is what I use in wooded situations. The Z plastic has held up extremely well. I also like my Z for turnovers because it has more glide to it. These two plastics pair of very well IMO.

Happy Cometing to you Sir.

Can anyone tell me is there a way to recognize different ESP LE runs? ...Just curious cause I got two sweeeeet domey LE:s...

I only know the first two runs. The stamps were identical between the first two runs.
The second run came out very slightly less domey and slightly softer. Even so, I would consider them interchangeable.

Can anyone tell me is there a way to recognize different ESP LE runs? ...Just curious cause I got two sweeeeet domey LE:s...

its been a while so this could be wrong but iirc the very first runs of ESP had hand written Weights .. then there is something about the tooling as well between 2nd and 3rd before they went normal production run .. i could be wrong its been a long time since i hav discussed / collected old comets.. i sold off all my old esp's and comet stamped elite z a few years back

Do yours have any tooling? If not, they're third runs. Chances are you have either a first or third run because I seem to remember the second runs being on the flatter side.

oh yes... come to papa...

14812534765_28924de6bd_c.jpg

14625994167_5123ebdde0_c.jpg

178g Big Z goodness with old school stamp arrived today... i already have 4 comets (Z, two ESPs, and an Elite X) and I'm tempted never to throw this... then again my 4 comets have taught me so much (field work and in actual play). maybe get an extra old school stamped big Z and store this one for prosperity...

I wish more than almost anything disc golf related that they would run comets in this stamp again

Hey Comet geeks! I've been going steady with my light X Comet (standstill shots, slight annys that turn like crazy, flip up from monster hyzer angle) and very beat-in Glo Z Comet (dead straight when finessed a tiny bit, turns a bit more when cranked on with flat release). ESP and Ti FLX flies the same as my beat Glo as it needs slight finesse when thrown flat. I'm wanting a more stable Comet (will fade the tiniest amount when finishing or can be thrown at full power with clean form and not turn) like what a Z is but without being standard stiff Z. The standard stiff Z feels terrible in my hand (same way Rocs in stiffer plastic feel yucky for me). Any recommendations? Are Cryztal Comets more stable? Or just find some fresh (but less stiff) Glo Zs?

Hey Comet geeks! I've been going steady with my light X Comet (standstill shots, slight annys that turn like crazy, flip up from monster hyzer angle) and very beat-in Glo Z Comet (dead straight when finessed a tiny bit, turns a bit more when cranked on with flat release). ESP and Ti FLX flies the same as my beat Glo as it needs slight finesse when thrown flat. I'm wanting a more stable Comet (will fade the tiniest amount when finishing or can be thrown at full power with clean form and not turn) like what a Z is but without being standard stiff Z. The standard stiff Z feels terrible in my hand (same way Rocs in stiffer plastic feel yucky for me). Any recommendations? Are Cryztal Comets more stable? Or just find some fresh (but less stiff) Glo Zs?

Could try a Big-Z. I bought one a while ago and it's definitely more stable than a new "X" without that stiff and slick feeling of regular "Z". I've been really happy with mine.

Could try a Big-Z. I bought one a while ago and it's definitely more stable than a new "X" without that stiff and slick feeling of regular "Z". I've been really happy with mine.

Not a bad idea, I'll try to feel some up locally then. Not all Z is bad but the stiff, glassy stuff is a awful combination with the profile of a Comet in my hand. The flight plate needs a little give for it to work for me.

Latest posts