• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Peach Comet in action:

picture.php

That shot was 15' from the basket; I looked for it for 15 minutes. :| If I could have left it 10' from the basket I could have saved five minutes.

Heh. Well, we're mostly evergreen with mud on the ground so peach works here. I'd definitely throw my hot pink Z in that stuff tho!

I left a carbon copy of that red one on the shelf this weekend. :\

None of the 22' MJ Comet viewed at online disc pro shops has tempted me so far. That doesn't mean I won't get one eventually. But, I find myself becoming less motivated to get more Comets in recent years.

None of the 22' MJ Comet viewed at online disc pro shops has tempted me so far. That doesn't mean I won't get one eventually. But, I find myself becoming less motivated to get more Comets in recent years.

Who has MJ comets left?

Where you guys getting the 22's? It's still 21 :|

Oh. So it is. I am getting ahead of myself.

Hopefully the 2022 versions will look better than what they have put out the last few years now.

Those titanium MJ are off the hook awesome!!! Damn! Kinda wish I'd started collecting comets a little sooner. Haha left over tourney stamps :) I remember those days!

So out of curiosity a dude on FB is wondering what a jet black, Z comet bottom stamped might be worth (small insignia Z comet)... No rim tooling.

Any info on that one? Not that I want a black disc.

Paging 3P or others with Comet knowledge. Curious what the plastic is on this old beauty from a used bin. It's actually in great shape, stamp wear is mostly from some tape that was removed. 😕

It's a sweet thrower, a touch flippy but beautiful glide. It's also got ink on the back so I'm gonna throw my $8 investment.

So what's the plastic? It feels Xish to me but I guess it could be old D, Elite Pro or Tourney Pro.

Attachments

• PXL_20210701_013956760.jpg
    PXL_20210701_013956760.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 57
Paging 3P or others with Comet knowledge. Curious what the plastic is on this old beauty from a used bin. It's actually in great shape, stamp wear is mostly from some tape that was removed. 😕

It's a sweet thrower, a touch flippy but beautiful glide. It's also got ink on the back so I'm gonna throw my $8 investment.

So what's the plastic? It feels Xish to me but I guess it could be old D, Elite Pro or Tourney Pro.

Does it feel smaller than normal? Good score regardless! I got a couple this year too, to relive the good old days... when I didn't throw a Comet. Haha my first was elite X.

The ink from the bottom leeching up and showing from the top is classic Tournament Pro. Back in the day before candy plastic nobody inked the rim, you just scribbled your name and number in huge letters on the underside of the flight plate. Do that to Tournament Pro plastic and wait like seven-eight years and it will have leeched all the way through and will be showing through the top of the disc.

Does it feel smaller than normal? Good score regardless! I got a couple this year too, to relive the good old days... when I didn't throw a Comet. Haha my first was elite X.

I'd say it feels like it molded up tight, if that's a thing. It's also max weight.

TMI portion of the leeching thing: I guess I really should call it bleeding? Not sure of the correct lingo. On Tournament Pro discs I had earlier than '97 it didn't happen. I have a few survivor Cyclones, HD Hawks and Vortex from back then that don't have this effect. It happened on all of the Stratus I had. The Stratus came out in '97 I think. The Elite Pro discs also did this and they came out in '98. Tournament Pro discs that I know I had earlier than '97 didn't do this, and the '97 KCWO Comet I have didn't do it. I don't think it was an across-the-board "all of them would do this" kinda thing, and it seemed to be more common (or at least more noticeable) on lighter white/yellow discs.

Tournament Pro also got softer around this time; for lack of a better term it felt rubbery-er. I suspect that there was a change in the plastic, and the new blend was susceptible to this bleeding/leeching or whatever you want to call it. That's my guess, anyway.

Old Innova Pro plastic will do this as well; you can read my ink through all my old inked KC Pro Cheetahs. Again it's hit or miss since you can't read the ink through the Millennium discs I have from that time. It might still happen on Innova Pro, but I switched to ink on the rim 20 years ago and wouldn't know.

Anyway, Comets were never made in Elite Pro and Elite X didn't do that so...that yellow disc is Tournament Pro.

Exhibit one: Tournament Pro Cyclone

picture.php

For whatever reason I wrote "Soda" on one side of the nipple and "Pop" on the other and you can see the soda pop in the center of the disc. Also at around 5:00 you can see my PDGA number 11351 there backwards.

Exhibit two: Elite Pro X2

picture.php

You can literally read my name above the stamp; it says "Bubba Kickbusch" backwards clear as day.

Last edited:
Looks like "Jherkface" to me...are you sure? :| :|

Looks like "Jherkface" to me...are you sure? :| :|
I mean, same thing. :|

It's a long story so I won't explain why, but I used to write "Holy Mackerel" on top of my Aviars and I've been really tempted to write "Jherkface" on the top of my Valks. I just never have.

Fancy French Comet decor

Finally got around to hanging some comets. My wife hung plates her grandmother collected traveling around the world in the 70's above our sink and counter, and I got to choose what to put on the other wall in the kitchen above the cabinets. I used 3d printed hangers that have a spot to use a thumbtack to fasten to the wall.

I decided to go with the sparkle z le comets(fancy French comets) since I didn't like their flight and likely wouldn't be tempted to take them down to throw.

Attachments

• 274CE793-BA5D-4538-8FC9-1CB14C180589.jpg
    274CE793-BA5D-4538-8FC9-1CB14C180589.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 0ABB6CCE-C21E-4383-AA73-0599DEA56D46.jpg
    0ABB6CCE-C21E-4383-AA73-0599DEA56D46.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 53882966-A1B6-4B8B-A0CF-C9621D3C30F1.jpg
    53882966-A1B6-4B8B-A0CF-C9621D3C30F1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 52

Latest posts