• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Is Comet deeper than the Buzzz?

In my experience the depth & dome can vary a bit. I'd say the rim itself tends to feel similarly "meaty" to hold onto between a Comet & Buzzz, but I definitely notice my fingers going in deeper on some Comets than all of my Buzzzes. Those are the Comets that tend to fly like slightly beefy floaters. The flat Comets I basically use like shorter range fairway drivers are maybe similar feeling depth to Buzzz.

#ILuvComets

The first ESP to join my flock:
uZOsEFP.jpg

Specs and such the comet is similar or shallower than a buzzz. The feel however of a good comet is deeper than I find a buzzz. Domed discs often feel deeper for me in general.

The wing shape is something that people find polarizing. If you are good with the feel of beaded discs you may like it (I do)

People who complain about not liking deep feeling mids, or not liking beaded mids, should learn how to use a fan grip. Then you can just throw whatever flies the best!

Hint: It's a Comet :)

Is THAT what people don't like about the Comet? I could never figure out what was so uncomfortable that people would consistently say they don't like the way the Comet feels...

Who power grips a touch disc? :eek:

Former Comet (read:beaded mids) hater here!

I don't know how to describe it but it was more the friction on my hand while throwing. Holding one in my house or the parking lot wasn't a terrible feeling but it just...wasn't right coming out of the hand on a throw. Especially with putters the "bead sits in the groove of the knuckle" is what I disliked because it felt almost trapped and locked in, so more difficult to get a clean release on.

For me, Comets were *never* too deep. It was the combination of the wing shape and bead...but most importantly the bead.

Did I say bead?

YMMV

Funny how we're all different. Personally I could play the rest of my life with nothing but a Buzzz and be content. Hell my scoring wouldn't even suffer much these days.

Okay fine, Buzzz+Comet:)

I'll try and work it in again this season. I suspect it relates in some way to my inability to control my lines. It seems to do about anything in terms of lines. I keep having this feeling that my grip isn't getting the right purchase under the rim. Early days

My midrange situation is a mess

I'll try and work it in again this season. I suspect it relates in some way to my inability to control my lines. It seems to do about anything in terms of lines. I keep having this feeling that my grip isn't getting the right purchase under the rim. Early days

My midrange situation is a mess

When I started I loved the Buzzz but couldn't throw it very far, and was (trying to) throw very flat with flat form. As my form changed I spent a ton more time throwing Comets and learning to flip them and "let the disc do the work". At first a Buzzz wouldn't flip and turn and it was frustrating and they went on the shelf for a while. The Buzzz went back in once I had more power and there are plenty of lines near me where I don't want to risk a runaway turnover. Now Comet and Buzzz are like wine and cheese.

Also, I feel like grip is this oddly personal thing we all struggle through and (hopefully) find our way. I still need to use all kinds of little grip tricks when I play to make sure each disc is nice and leveraged and each disc is a little different. I remember how uncomfortable it felt at first to find my best grips and now it feels weird when I hold them the old way.

The Comet and Roc aren't deep mids. They are actually shallow. You are confusing some kind of uncomfortable feeling with a deep rim.

I saw someone talking about the buzzz being a deeper mid and that's why they like it... I don't get it.

I like the beaded feel, even powergrip (though its been a while since I have thrown anything true power grip), because of how the bead or more defined bottom sits in the crook of my hand. It gives me a solid point for grip and an anchor for consistency.

I do see how some people would dislike it though. Variety is great.

Well this tourney 2 Comets, a Buzzz, a Hornet, and a, er, Pyro are in the bag for mids. Field tests say there's a nice progression there. (minus the Pyro that suddenly only wants to n00b spike hyzer, but that's also a shot I guess.)

I'm putting together a throw-back bag of molds I used to bag. Rocs, Wizards, Teebirds, Quasars etc.

Last time I bought some Comets, I got some regular stamped ESP's with dome somewhere around 2010-2011 IIRC.

Any particular run I should look for, or would any regular ESP work?

I'm putting together a throw-back bag of molds I used to bag. Rocs, Wizards, Teebirds, Quasars etc.

Last time I bought some Comets, I got some regular stamped ESP's with dome somewhere around 2010-2011 IIRC.

It's easier to find domey Z, ESP can run flatter. I'd buy in person and just look for decent dome in either plastic, though recent runs of ESP have been pretty firm and slick.

in that time frame, those could possibly be 3rd run LE? IIRC that run still had "Limited Edition" on it though.

2020 MJs are nice and domey, ESP swirl plastic.

Latest posts