• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Comet vs. Stingray .... differences

3 different molds:
Ontario, San Marino, WWW.

WWW is the current mold.
San Marino is the next newest. The coveted amoeba stamped Stingrays are San Marinos.
Ontario is the original IIRC. They are flat topped and more stable.

I will take a look when I get home. it should have it in the letters on the underside, right?

Then I dont remember but I might have let my fiances son have at least one of them. They still make a great driver for weaker arms and, while I think a Comet in the right hands might be capable of just as big of distance, I think it would be easier for a weaker player to get good distance out of a Stingray. it was the first disc I hit 300' with and I still dont get much more than that with discs like the Teebird today.

3 different molds:
Ontario, San Marino, WWW.

WWW is the current mold.
San Marino is the next newest. The coveted amoeba stamped Stingrays are San Marinos.
Ontario is the original IIRC. They are flat topped and more stable.
Sorry, but I must correct.

The old Stingrays are the San Marino Stingrays. The "amoeba" stamp is the original Stingray hotstamp, so those are the oldest.

When the SM Stingray top wore out, they replaced it with the Cobra top which had Ontario tooling. These are the "Ontario" or "flat top" Stingrays. They were only run for a short time, probably '06 or '07ish. The flat top Stingrays were more stable than the SM Stingrays.

Innova re-created the SM top with a new top that has "www" tooling. These are the current Stingrays. The tops cannot be identical because the www Stingrays seem slower than the old SM Stingrays. They also seem less stable to me, but I have not heard a lot of other folks confirm that suspicion so it could just be me. I agree with what someone else said earlier that the SM Stingray throws like a driver and the www Stingray throws like a mid.

I just think it what your use to. I was just not use to the comet, and I am use to the stingray, you know. If I used a comet 15 years ago I probably would be saying the oppisite. My Bert team mate swears by a buzz, where is I adore the roc. To each their own, thats why they make tons of molds.

Biz
Team Bert

I was confused about the SM/Ontario toolings.
I knew that Amoeba stamps are SM and I know that all of my Stingrays are either SM or WWW.
I assumed that Ontarios were the oldest. Apparently I was wrong, thanks for filling in Three Putt.

I wish they still made Ontarios. WWW is alright when they are new but they lose that initial stability very quickly. I guess I'll just stick with Cobras for this slot.

I really have to look cause I am positive its older than 2007. I would say it has to be at least from 2002 to 2004 somewhere in that time fram but it has the same picture as this one:

thumb_202_StingRay_Orange_Ontario.jpg

But I dont think it has the circle around it. My even older yet one, if its still around has the above stamp exactly.

I was confused about the SM/Ontario toolings.
I knew that Amoeba stamps are SM and I know that all of my Stingrays are either SM or WWW.
I assumed that Ontarios were the oldest. Apparently I was wrong, thanks for filling in Three Putt.

I wish they still made Ontarios. WWW is alright when they are new but they lose that initial stability very quickly. I guess I'll just stick with Cobras for this slot.
Confusing the issue is the fact that they don't make the Ontario Cobra anymore. The Cobra uses the same www top that the Stingray uses now. I get frustrated trying to discuss Stingrays and Cobras because neither of them are the discs I remember.

I wish they still made the Ontario Cobra. The added stability is what I liked about that disc VS the Stingray back in the day. Now they are pretty close IMO.

I'm pretty sure your older one is an Ontario.

The newer one is probably Sanny.
I think you have those flipped in your head. You might have to hang out on my couch for some therapy. :D

All of the full circle Stingrays are San Marinos. I'm 100% that the older one is a San Marino. If the newer one is from '02-'04 it would also be a San Marino as I recall. The Ontarios were later.

Hmm I think they might have to dissapear from the boys bags and somehow land in my stash with my Puma.

I really have to look cause I am positive its older than 2007. I would say it has to be at least from 2002 to 2004 somewhere in that time fram but it has the same picture as this one:

thumb_202_StingRay_Orange_Ontario.jpg

But I dont think it has the circle around it. My even older yet one, if its still around has the above stamp exactly.

My cousin has one like that, with the old school stamp. It's a DX but it is definately flatter than the current ones. Heck, I had one from '92 and I wish I still did. The Ultra Long Distance Driver days....

My cousin has one like that, with the old school stamp. It's a DX but it is definately flatter than the current ones. Heck, I had one from '92 and I wish I still did. The Ultra Long Distance Driver days....

If I remember right, the blue one, which had a stamp like that got real flippy and would make almost a 90 degree right turn, RHBH. So, I got the white one, which I said was around 2002-2004 and thats the one that really flew like a driver. I would almost liken it to my X XL I have now as far as flight,, rim was obviously smaller.

Needless to say, this old, the blue one had some gashes in it and the white one is well loved as well. Just thinking about it though, I am thinking about getting another Star one cause I used to love them, and had a star one that I loved for about a week before it dissapeared in a fast flowing creek. :doh:

I wonder if I could make a Stingray my main mid since my Ion is encroaching on the distances I can hit with the Core. Would have to polish up my hyzer-flip though but they were also easy to slow down and still get a good straight flight albeit shorter distance than normal.

The Cobra would be the better choice IMO. Unless you are talking about the Star or Champ SR.

Yeah, definately star. I have a newer DX one but it is a little too understable to be a goto mid. Would make a great turnover specialty disc, I just wouldnt see it holding a straight line even hyzer-flipped.

Foreword: I throw only DX Stingrays. Stingrays are a little faster and understable, a Comet is probably a little easier to control and definitely to land (you'll get more unintentional rolls with Stingrays).

Damn Innova and their specialty runs. Those were not in regular production back then and I wasn't aware that they put the stock Stingray stamp on any of them, but never say never when it comes to golf discs. Evidently a few exist with that stamp. Later the Ontario Stingray came into regular production with the later stamp with the swish Innova logo that said "multi purpose."

It's still a safe bet to say the there were maybe a couple hundred Ontario Stingrays with the full circle stamp and 100,000+ San Marino Stingrays with the full circle stamp, so if you pick up a full circle Stingray it's 99.999% a San Marino.

I'm not sure why Innova was messing with specialty runs of flat top Stingrays when the Moray was in production. If you wanted a more stable Stingray, the Moray was the ticket. Had the Moray come out at the same time as the Cobra, it would probably still be around. It came out after the Cheetah and players were abandoning those large diameter discs by then. Good disc, bad timing. A Star Moray would be a sweet disc; too bad we will never see one.

I just checked both my Stingrays and both the full circle and the "swoosh" are marked San Marino.

And, I did buy a Comet yesterday From Gil, the Disc Salesman at Z-Boaz DGC (shamless plug). I bought a white Elite-X, with a sticker that says 177+ for ten bucks.

stvcomet.jpg

Versus my 180 Champ Stingray, I had many identical flightlines. Enough to wonder if I could wall the ChSt. The Comet has a larger diameter, but both feel the same in my calloused carpenter hands. The only real problem I have is I'm comparing a 10 year old (?) Stingray to a 10 minute old Comet.

The photo does the Stingray little justice. It looks beatup, but that's just dirt. The plastic is simply awesome. No dings, chunks, gashes, cuts or scrapes to speak of. Smooth as a babys bottom.

stsm.jpg

It's so well played, the raised letters above San Marino are worn flat. The Star of David dye job has been on it since I got it on day one. So, it's always been called my Jew Claw. The old stamp is absolutely gone, and nothing remains that would give me any idea what stamp it was.

A few more days should tell if the Comet puts the Stngray on the wall, or not.