• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Concave-top Star Aviar.

TorreyLaffoon

Birdie Member
So I just successfully turned my star aviar into a concave top, much like a yeti, but obviously beadless.

I know it's pretty standard to make some discs flat-topped, like a Roc, but has anyone else tried to actually get one to concave? I gotta believe someone did before me.

All I did was use the same method as you would to flatten a disc, but first I taped two quarters and and dime together and stuck it to the counter. Kinda janky, sure. But I worked out great! Can't wait to see how this thing flies now.

congrats on your illegally modified disc :rolleyes:

Marmoset: One caveat on flattening discs:
an artificially flattened disc will NOT fly the same as one that is naturally flat. This is because a naturally flattened disc gets it's flatness from plastic shrinkage after it is pulled from the mold. Along with this shrinkage comes PLH shift. There is no PLH shift associated with artificial flattening.

I meam I have like 4, I just figured I'd give it a try on one. It's not even the mold I use for my main putter, so I never take it on the course anyways.

I'm really not concerned. I've filed discs down before, flattened, domed up. Who cares? I realize they aren't useable in sanctioned events, but ive yet to play in one anyways. I was just asking if anyone else had attempted any such modification, like I know people have to make discs flatter or more domey.

Not to mention that natural wear often mimics this concavity and some aviars are already made that way (not just yeti's)

So if you felt like using it, how the hell would anyone know or care it was 'modded'?

Bending and shaping discs happens when you hit a tree...

So... Uhh... Does that mean my slightly warped discs are now illegal? BS. People throw the "PDGA illegal" card around here way too often. Most people on here probably do not play actual PDGA regulated or stylized tournaments. I would do a tournament of sorts if I was a little better, but I like playing for recreation more for competition.

Also, what I really love; people assuming the PDGA is going to inspect every disc and people are watching your bag and checking everything to make sure the disc your throwing is legal... Uh huh. Because dome tops don't concave or flatten out from weathering or anything, either....

Sadly these threads always get sidetracked by the 'legality' of modding discs, when IMO there is quite a good amount of information that could be out there in 'The Know" about disc flight and modification if these threads didn't get ruined by 'legality' posts. Personally I see absolutely nothing wrong with modding your discs, whether it be flattening them, roughing them up, or doming them out. They're PDGA legal discs with the specifications needed, and it's not like any modding we ever talk about on here is extreme enough to be outside of the range of normal varying plastics.

Personally, I'm find admitting that I do not follow the rule entirely. I smack my discs on the sidewalk, remove flashing, and have flat topped a Roc, Gator, and 12x Firebird. The Roc I flat-topped was basically concave because of the pan I flat-topped it in, and it was money until it started getting too flippy.

I would really like to go to the store and buy 3 rocs and give them varying degrees of dome, just to see if I can really tell a difference between them.

tacoing a disc is not the same as boiling the disc. you are altering the PLH and performing a post production modification which is illegal.
However runs of discs can differ greatly copmpared to the same disc from a different that no one will really notice or care. I was just giving him a hard time because he was bragging about illegally modifying a disc. I really don't care either :)
Leaving a disc in the car can also flatten it, I don't expect you to give up your entire bag because you left it in a car

Bending and shaping discs happens when you hit a tree...

So... Uhh... Does that mean my slightly warped discs are now illegal? BS. People throw the "PDGA illegal" card around here way too often. Most people on here probably do not play actual PDGA regulated or stylized tournaments. I would do a tournament of sorts if I was a little better, but I like playing for recreation more for competition.

Why don't you read the rule before you start debating it? And if it matters little to you, whats the problem?
I'd rather be warned one time to many about a possible rules infraction. Instead being caught
in it.

http://www.pdga.com/rules/80201-discs-used-in-play
C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.

Last edited:
If you learn to use the search feature, you might come across this old post that proves you are wrong.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=372552&postcount=3

Except it does not prove any such thing. The answer is not in any way specific. Basically remelting the disc shape is definately as much in the gray area as the scraping he mentions in that answer.

Its more or less up to the TD as he says. Which is as anti-proof as you can get.

Some of the rules are well intended but written by someone who should clearly not be involved in rule-making. Because some of them are so far from being actual rules that its sad. This being one of them.

Last edited:
Concave dx

I've been using a concave 146 gram dx aviar for a few years and have always wondered if there were others or if I got this beautiful chain eater by mistake.

Well, I've already decided that I love it even more now than I did before. The glide really wasn't effected enough to be noticeable. Putting outside the circle is already more consistent because I don't have to throw it as hard to keep it from fading early. And it's flip-to-straight ability off the tee is better for me as well. Back in the bag it goes I do believe.

Why don't you read the rule before you start debating it? And if it matters little to you, whats the problem?
I'd rather be warned one time to many about a possible rules infraction. Instead being caught
in it.

http://www.pdga.com/rules/80201-discs-used-in-play
C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.

Just wondering, but where in my post did I mention anything of wear and tear and changing mold imperfections? I was strictly talking about how discs warp. You need to read what people are posting before you attack. I have no idea how this post relates to what I said.

bending a disc is tuning, once you add heat you are not tuning, sorry Jen. Try again
by using heat you change parting line height and are making an illegal modification.

Guess that means all my discs are illegal, since I live in Texas and keep them in my trunk.

Latest posts