• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cool Dye Combinations2, the dyed discs

I finally picked up a Star Zephyr. Who's got ideas for the cool dye combo to do on that?

The obvious choice is a Led Zeppelin dye. Any other ideas?

The one I have is light blue, but I plan on picking up a white one eventually.

I know this is from ages ago, but holy fukcing sht dude! amazing job.

Nearly 3 years later, here's what it looks like.

I meant to make a thread for comparing dyes over time a while ago, so I took pics of a bunch of my old ones. This one is somewhere in the middle. Some held up better, some worse. I still want to make that thread....

Overall, I think it still looks pretty damn nice - side by side with the original it looks kinda bad, but without that to compare to, it's ok.

Attachments

• Clutch_old.jpg
    Clutch_old.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Clutch_compare.jpg
    Clutch_compare.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Faded after three years?

Yup.

I swear I can notice the blurring that occurs in like 3 days. This is why I wanted to compare a bunch and try to find what holds up best. DTP already showed us that if you keep a dye frozen, it won't blur or fade at all. But without doing that, all dyes blur and fade to some degree.

But the Clutch one I think is mostly done - it's looked the same since about the 1.5 year mark. I have no evidence, but I think the blurring and fading is somewhat like an inverse-exponential - it gets slower and slower until it kind of hits a wall and stops to change much - eventually the dye spreads as far as it ever will.

Here's one more, but a less complicated one.

This one is from 2-2016, so 27 months old, and I use the disc constantly. It also seems to be done with blurring and fading, and still looks good to me. I actually made Brock intentionally too dark when I did the dye, to anticipate the fading.

The compare looks very different, but you don't really notice since it takes like a year or more to gradually change.

Attachments

• BRock_old.jpg
    BRock_old.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Brock_compare.jpg
    Brock_compare.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 90
And here's one more to support my idea that Champ is actually the best plastic for dyeing, in terms of fading and blurring the least.

It makes sense to me - champ is harder to dye because the plastic is less porous. Which also means the rate that the dye seeps through the plastic over time is less.

This one is just under 4 years old - it was the first multi layer stencil dye I ever did.

Attachments

• Bruce_old.jpg
    Bruce_old.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Bruce_compare.jpg
    Bruce_compare.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 93
damn, it ^ still faded alot more than I would have thought

Eh, while it def faded and blurred more than I want (i.e. at all), I'm glad (and sort of surprised) that the thin little grid lines, and the stars and other really small things didn't blur out of existence.

I had forgotten about this thread. Here is an illusion on an illusion.View attachment 64723
attachment.php

Very Escher-esque... I like it.

I'm hijacking this thread for one more comp.

Here's my (still) favorite one I have ever done: Squiddy. 18 months old.

This is one that I like better now. The bleed on the center in his eye has faded out of existence, and the background has blurred to a very smooth transition, whereas at first you could see all the lines of different shades in the background.

Attachments

• Squiddy_old.jpg
    Squiddy_old.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Squiddy_comp.jpg
    Squiddy_comp.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 98
I have to scan through this thread to see if anybody's done these:

star on a Destroyer (I'm sure this has been done)
...but cool space scene with lots of stars and it would actually look pretty cool.

Marshall on an Amp
falcon on any Millennium disc
Penis on an Envy
Corona bottle on a Virus

Latest posts