• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Coolest thing about DG to you.

I threw frisbees with my brother and my dad as a kid so when I got into this sport it was like bring all of that back again. I love to be competitive and disc golf has given me a great outlet for that. It lets me take my mind off the world and focus on something else for a while. It's a great way to stay in shape and I can take it with me when I travle for work. It's something you can always get better at and trying new discs or trading for different ones is alway fun too. It's something unique that when I tell most people what I do as a hobby they go "huh?" so I get to teach about the game all the time.

The community.

The nature

The excitement.

Watching a disc fly

Getting together and playing a round, outside, in beautiful weather, exercise, competition, learning of the game.

And of course, all the discs we can buy! hahaha

Cheap sport

Relaxing (on a good day...bad days often stress me out...)

Enjoying the nature around me

Watching the flight of the disc on a well thrown line. Nothing better

At 51 years old & retired, I like that the sport is good exercise, very inexpensive and can be played alone or with others.

The nature, the peeps, the travel, the exercise.

I love the competition & the level of organization of PDGA events. I loved competing in sports growing up and as I got farther away from those days, I had sort of written off the possibility of ever competing hard again for the rest of my life. As an adult, I could never find a league, in any of the sports I had played growing up, that offered competition with enough players at my general skill level that was at all satisfying to me.

But with the PDGA ratings system, I'm able to compete at the highest level possible with other players of comparable skill. It's really been intoxicating, the rediscovery of competition in my life.

I also love how crazy & weird everyone is who plays. And how insane everyone is who's trying to make a buck off disc golf. It's got a real frontier feel to it. (And a frontier Mark II feel for all the old heads.)

Also, it's a sport with astronomical satisfaction/cost value.

The fact that I can go play a round on a whim with no advance planning, needing to book a tee time. etc. Just pack the discs in the car and go. If one course is too crowded, just go find another.

This is very cool as well as the great diverse people I've met. But for me the coolest thing is just watching a well thrown frisbee fly. Doesn't matter who throws it. Me, you, some pro, some noob, my competition... Carving a perfect line thru the trees, a well placed bomb, a 40,50,60+ birdie or par saving putt.

It's also pretty cool that this chubby, decepit, old guy can hang with the young guys and still compete even if its mostly because I'm a legend in my own mind.

Its fun and fun stuff is always cool.

The coolest things about disc golf to me, in no particular order:

1.) The fact that all courses are different. There is always something unique about each course. You never know what you're going to expect when you step onto a new course.
2.) You can play a round either by yourself or with a group of people. It is a great sport for social gatherings, but also relaxing when you want some down/alone time.
3.) The cost of the sport! I have how inexpensive most discs are, as well as the cost to play at my courses.
4.) I love how disc golf isn't a strenuous sport. I played competitive soccer for over 10 years, and I have chronic pain issues. I love how disc golf allows me to be active, yet isn't too hard on my body.
5.) Any age can play this sport.
6.) THE DISCS! I now spend most of my time on the Internet looking up different discs and what would best suit me. It has become an addiction.
7.) Being outside and enjoying the scenery.
8.) Watching a disc fly. It is a pretty exhilarating feeling!

Last edited:
The coolest things about DG: how much time I waste online viewing forums, looking at discs/reviews, and watching really good people play!

Jk. I'm a bit of a "loner" disc golfer. The coolest thing to me is going out early in the morning, when there are few others around, and playing a good round with a few nice drives, approaches, and putts mixed in.

One of the biggest things that I love about it, that really drew me in was the cost, and . There is nothing quite like heading 2 hours away, taking your wife to a work event, and instead of being bored for 6 hours, you find the nearest local course(es), and start chucking away, exploring all new beautiful areas of nature that you've never been to before, without dropping a dime. Unless it's a P2P, which even then is CHEAP.

Definitely for me its getting out with friends who all share the same enjoyment for the game...exploring new areas and playing new courses for the first time is always fun. That feeling you get when you throw a perfect shot and see that snake slithering flight pattern before landing right next to (or in) the basket.

I have always loved throwing Frisbees from a young age and to be able to throw many different kinds all incorporated into a great competitive game is awesome.

LIVING. If I had been a couch potato and and had not discovered disc golf 25 years ago, I probably would have forgotten how to breath. I was diagnosed with colo-rectal cancer a year ago and surprise my surgeon and doctors on how quickly I responded and defeated it. Would probably not have happened if I had not been active in playing disc golf or building/maintaining courses almost every day. STAY ACTIVE and stay healthy. On many courses, I can shoot under my age (68)--there are 3-4 local courses where that is about par and I woefully fail my age target. Just worked 6 out of the last 8 days in slinging mulch and roping/stringing the OBs for the USDGC with another 6-7 days in the offing. But that is my retirement activity.

- I can play as much as I want and have all the equipment I need without breaking the bank
- Playing a weekend round alone just chilling and forgetting about the world for a couple hours.
- Playing with my new found DG friends, busting chops, and admiring when anyone of us makes a good shot or has a good round
- Watching the flight of a well thrown Frisbee, something very peaceful and calming.
- Winning cash or merch in a tourney, for throwing Frisbees in the park, how awesome is that?

solitude on morning rounds. rounds with good friends.

but most important its the only time in my life I'm not thinking of well life. on the course it is all about the disc in flight and nothing else in my head. its become a very important thing for me in my life. even when playing with friends i only want to compete against the course and the conditions of the day. that sense of competition is something i do not get anywhere else in my life.

without this sport i don't want to think of where i would be. its more than just a game its a lifestyle.

Latest posts