• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Coolest Type of Ace

What is the coolest type of Ace?

• Long Distance

Votes: 46 19.7%
  • Skip Shot

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • Blind Basket

Votes: 22 9.4%
  • Tunnel Shot

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • Overhand Shot

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Roller

Votes: 55 23.6%
  • Hanging Basket

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Bounce off an object (Most Likely a Tree)

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Animal Assist into the basket

Votes: 22 9.4%
  • Other

Votes: 13 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My coolest was my first. Local fundraiser tourney, i am carded with our local pros last in the box. 164 Star Tern slightly downhill 305' laser. Straight in. Coolest shot in my life so far and my first ace. :)

I can only imagine a hawk swooping down and grabbing a disc only to deposit it in the basket. He then flies to me for a high five and flies off into the sunset. That would take the cake.

Tom aka Old Man told me a story of this happening in a big doubles tournament but it was an eagle not a hawk, swept down attacking it and it redirected into the basket, left talon marks on the disc. No high five though.

Not an ace but an eagle story he also told me about this same round was shanked throw ended up landing on top of a moving box truck only to roll off the truck as it took a turn. It ended up being a drop it two on an extremely long and difficult hole.

We were drinking pretty late at Lake Park that night and I never asked about these stories after that. I figure they were "fishing tales". He was such a great guy and I'm sure missed by many.

I have had 6 times that I threw a blind hole and heard chains. 2 in the basket and 4 on the ground under the basket. Oh the anticipation!

Tom aka Old Man told me a story of this happening in a big doubles tournament but it was an eagle not a hawk, swept down attacking it and it redirected into the basket, left talon marks on the disc. No high five though.

Not an ace but an eagle story he also told me about this same round was shanked throw ended up landing on top of a moving box truck only to roll off the truck as it took a turn. It ended up being a drop it two on an extremely long and difficult hole.

We were drinking pretty late at Lake Park that night and I never asked about these stories after that. I figure they were "fishing tales". He was such a great guy and I'm sure missed by many.

NO WAY!!!

poidh.jpg

I thought seeing a guy find a disc on the course during a round, and then acing with that disc the same round, was pretty cool.

Been there, seen that. A classic roc. The guy had never even thrown a roc, first throw with it is a forehand that is nuts straight and hits the chains 235' away....

Hard to argue with this, but there's something just as magical about being able to watch the entire flight of a disc thrown on that perfect line all the way from the point of release to the target:

The initial look right out of the hand, thinking it's on a sweet line...
The realization that it's holding a perfect line to the target 50%-75% down the fairway...
The anticipation of it crashing chains as it gets close and seeing it finally come to rest in the chains/basket...

It's like asking which Playmate you'd like to spend an evening with :D

Nailed it, excellent response

I once had a combination long distance/off a tree/skip ace.

The hole was 303ft (not sure what we consider long distance here but to me 300+ is long distance) I actually overthrow it. It caught a tree branch which slowed it up just enough to give it the appropriate distance and fade. Then it skipped off a patch of dirt, caught a wind gust and rode it right into the basket.

Probably my favorite, longest, and luckiest ace.

Roller seems to be very improbable and most rare I would think. Never seen one. Of course I have only seen one ace that wasn't mine. I have a skip ace and a blind one but it is really cool to throw a shot and watch it hold that perfect line all the way to the basket and in.

I don't think aces are cool. The stop everything and celebrate because luck happened reaction annoys me. On lame holes I have actually hoped for the shot to not go in. An all skill 2 beats an ace any day, in coolness, but unfortunately not in scoring.

The best ace is the one in which you are in an Ace Pool.
Aces = Good
Aces you get paid for = Better

Coolest type of ace is the one where you call the exact hole and disc 5 days previous on facebook and drain the ace fund of $400+

22Y2TF0.jpg

... spoiler alert: it was Hole 6 :p

I don't think aces are cool. The stop everything and celebrate because luck happened reaction annoys me. On lame holes I have actually hoped for the shot to not go in. An all skill 2 beats an ace any day, in coolness, but unfortunately not in scoring.

.... have zero aces, huh?

I've thrown an Overhand Ace.
Thumber, right into the chains.

I tell people about it from time to time.
They act like they don't believe me.

My only ace I've had I picked up out of the basket and kept playing. I'm not huge on the celebration either. But it was a cool ace, beeline to the basket. I think when you actually throw the shot you're trying, and it goes in, the ace still has some skill involved, and not just luck, so I say tunnel shot.

My first ace was sort of blind, I guess. Morley Field hole 18, pin A. 170 ft with a mando that requires you to throw high and allow it to hook back in. You can see the basket from the tee but can't throw right at it, and due to the big trees, you lose sight of the disc for a second. The throw looked good, but it's always hard to tell. Disc disappears behind the trees, I turn and stare at the basket, then my X2 slams down hard into the chains. I'll never forget that first one! :hfive:

Now, if somebody would find that X2 for me around Hole 5 at Stumpy Creek! :doh:

.... have zero aces, huh?

HAHAHA!!! You beat me to it dagummit! I was gonna say that. :thmbup:

My one and only ace was an uphill thumber from the #8 red tee at Flaherty Park a few weeks ago. On previous attempts at the hole I had been parking the drive very consistently so it was only a matter of time. That was pretty dang cool and now that I've seen it that's definitely my favorite.

-Dave

I've never seen an ace (besides the Ace Race), so anything would be cool in my book.

Hard to argue with this, but there's something just as magical about being able to watch the entire flight of a disc thrown on that perfect line all the way from the point of release to the target:

The initial look right out of the hand, thinking it's on a sweet line...
The realization that it's holding a perfect line to the target 50%-75% down the fairway...

A roller ace would have all this, plus the added surprise of it hitting something and jumping directly into the chains. That's has to be a crazy thing to see.

Latest posts