• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Corona Virus and Leagues

Baseball is probably next. Then football.

MLS is done for the year probably, MLB pushed opening day back two weeks.

I think flex start rules will help in a lot of circumstances for leagues and small tourneys and could even allow infected players to participate if they feel up to it. Have a corona division.:D

I'm no doctor, but I do feel that disc golf is in the most fortunate position we can be. 72 people spread out in groups of 4 spread across 30 acres is a lot different than 15,000 spectators crammed into a basketball arena. But on the other hand, if worse comes to worst, we are absolutely a non-essential gathering of people. At the end of the day a frisbee tournament is less important than say, the mail service.
I couldn't agree more with this post.

Disc golf is probably one of the safer activities you can do in the current situation. Less exposure to people than going to the movies. You can pretty much give yourself as much personal space as you want.

Could you catch it playing a tourney? Yes. Online gaming would definitely be safer, but I don't feel the need to quarantine myself at this point.

Take reasonable precautions, minimize interaction, and follow recommended protocols to reduce the spread.

I don't think we should cancel everything. Just events that put lots of people in close proximity of lots of other people.

I think C tiers will be fine for the short term until we get a handle on how bad this pandemic gets but TDs and league bosses should remain fluid as the situation unfolds. Local health departments may make the decision for you if the situation in your area gets sketchy and they may ban large groups gathering for any reason.

I think C tiers will be fine for the short term until we get a handle on how bad this pandemic gets but TDs and league bosses should remain fluid as the situation unfolds. Local health departments may make the decision for you if the situation in your area gets sketchy and they may ban large groups gathering for any reason.

Estonia, which has a decent size disc golf population, just banned large gatherings

Slightly off topic but I have a suggestion. If you run a league and are concerned about handling money I see an easy solution. Make your league free.

There is a little bit of science deep down in this anecdotal post. It is not all as simple as you post and there are a LOT of additional factors that come into play.

I'll admit that. Still, its why you don't isolate healthy babies from the outside world.

On the third hand, the coronavirus is probably the worst health threat humans have faced since the 1918 flu.

On the fourth hand, maybe the earth is getting tired of us.

I will make a statement to open the door for someone to disagree.

If players meetings and bagtags and payout crowds are avoided: I don't see how leagues or tournaments increase risk of contagion. It's just 4 people taking a walk through the woods. I'm never closer than 1 or 2 meters from anyone. Pick up your own discs.

To be in danger you have to be A) playing with someone who is actually contagious and B) have them cough on you or you touch something they have their fluids on. You can have safe interactions with people. It's not magic. You don't get sick by looking at someone. Be smart. This isn't like sitting in a packed auditorium or bouncing around in a mosh pit.

I will make a statement to open the door for someone to disagree.

If players meetings and bagtags and payout crowds are avoided: I don't see how leagues or tournaments increase risk of contagion. It's just 4 people taking a walk through the woods. I'm never closer than 1 or 2 meters from anyone. Pick up your own discs.

To be in danger you have to be A) playing with someone who is actually contagious and B) have them cough on you or you touch something they have their fluids on. You can have safe interactions with people. It's not magic. You don't get sick by looking at someone. Be smart. This isn't like sitting in a packed auditorium or bouncing around in a mosh pit.

Supposed to be 40 and sunny tomorrow. We're forgoing an indoor kids event but I'm going to go throw. I figure don't crowd the teepad, don't share pipes, and clear your own putter and it'll be aight.

I played in a B-tier today.

During sign-ins everyone was given their own scorecard for each round. All players on the card were to keep score; only one needed to be turned in at the end of the round. Player's packs were pre-bagged, including disc and other swag.

The mortality rate in my division (MA 65+) is 3.4%. That's a lot of dead golfers. Is that serious enough for you jackass?:\

Hmmmmm.....name calling? Does sharing hurt?

You made some vague, unsubstantiated, uninterruptible comment. I was assuming you had some intelligent, information you might share. I was simply asking for access you your insight. Really no need to act like a jerk.