• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Corona Virus and Leagues

Fear itself

FDR famously said "the only we have to fear is fear itself". Different context and yes there are things to legitimately fear, but FDR's point still stands: The worst thing we can do is turn on each other because of fear. There are two groups of people that need to moderate in my opinion:

1. Those who believe this will be really bad and they get angry when anyone disagrees.
2. Those who believe this is a joke and they get angry when advised to take precautions.

I would like to think that most of us fall into a third group that is calm and responsible but I fear that may be wishful thinking.

:wall:

Was wondering about Magic Mt...

This is the ****storm happening in literally every industry tight now. I know corporate event planners that are essentially out of business already and scrambling to find a new formats to offer groups. I work at a ski area and we are considering ending our season early, and we are not the only ones. Supply chains are in shambles around the globe and honestly this fallout is going to be insane over the next few months. We haven't even felt the first ripples of this yet realistically, we're just hearing about them. Wait until the major metro areas get hit, medical services bottleneck and people start to actually panic!

Every industry is about to take a massive hit either directly or indirectly. I truly hope in a few months we're still complaining about inconveniences.

Jay Peak and Burke were among the first to shutter ops. Receivership made the decision

easier and the cross border traffic etc. Let me know how it goes at Magic. Thanks.

The mortality rate in my division (MA 65+) is 3.4%. That's a lot of dead golfers. Is that serious enough for you jackass?:\

That number comes from known cases, right? So if there are 10x more un-reported/un-documented cases then that number goes way down. Just and thought.

And I am not questioning at all that you have the option to forego this sort of social interactions if you choose to do so.

Last edited:
Well we had our annual St Patty's day tournament and it was only 2 short of a complete sell out. Filled 70 of 72 spots for our C-Tier, opted to follow PDGA and since they have not shut down all events ours went off as planned. We did move all merch outside and just did registration inside the lounge due to it being a bit cold. Latex gloves, hand sanatizer, scorecards for all and only inside for as long as it took to find your card, sign it and pay. Most everyone did a good job of keeping their distances.

The mortality rate in my division (MA 65+) is 3.4%. That's a lot of dead golfers. Is that serious enough for you jackass?:\

I'm a division down but nearing yours, the active guys that play disc golf are in a much better position to fight it compared to the old farts who sit in their chair all day since at the least their lungs should be stronger. My plan of attack is to stay as healthy as possible, building up my immune system (or at least trying to) and then at the first signs of any symptoms (even a small cough at this point), attack it with aggressive self medicating, gargling, hydration, supplements, lung exercises, etc. If you wait till you have a fever, shortness of breath, that increases the odds greatly imop of having a very hard recovery. You don't want this bitch going into your lungs if possible.

Hmmmmm.....name calling? Does sharing hurt?

You made some vague, unsubstantiated, uninterruptible comment. I was assuming you had some intelligent, information you might share. I was simply asking for access you your insight. Really no need to act like a jerk.

Just calling a spade a spade. There's only one jerk in this conversation and it ain't me. :\

The Charlotte Disc Golf Club yesterday suspended all meetings, leagues and tournaments until further notice. With the Park & Rec departments shutting down activities and the CDC guidelines limiting groups to 10, pretty much everything we do has to be put on hold.

For the CDGC this is no small thing. Revenue from our 13 seasonal leagues last year was $25,395, which made possible a helluva lot of course improvements. My hope is this is short-lived; my fear is it is not.

Given auto plant shutdowns and what this will do to the economy,I'm not sure I really care about what this means to my DG league. :\

Latest posts