• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Could this influence PDGA disc design?

Why would wham-o use kickstarter?? Can't they just make a square frisbee if they wanted to?? lol

Why would wham-o use kickstarter?? Can't they just make a square frisbee if they wanted to?? lol

oops, nevermind...I didnt realize this had been asked 50 times already

carry on folks,...nothing to see here

Be sure to glue a ring of pennies to the underside of the rim to give it some mass.

Ahhhhhh... memories of my first disc..

Did they shoot the disc golf shot at the same park Innova uses for their videos?

Sonic video:
attachment.php

Dave's Spin: The Overmold
attachment.php

Attachments

• Sonic.jpg
    Sonic.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 149
  • Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 149
It common to sell products before they are put in production to test the waters. This way Wham-O can build these discs with rapid prototyping machines and if this catches on, later they can dedicate an assembly line.
This is nothing new.

How does that explain them using Kickstarter though?

As was previously stated, an established business using Kickstarter to raise capital seems odd. Unless Wham-O is really, really hard up.

How does that explain them using Kickstarter though?

As was previously stated, an established business using Kickstarter to raise capital seems odd. Unless Wham-O is really, really hard up.

Raising capital most likely isnt the goal.

Kickstarter may be how they fund ideas that were submitted that they think have potential: https://wham-o.com/have-an-idea/
If the Kickstarter campaign (market research) is successful, it may be a good indicator the idea has legs.

Very well said.
To expand on this, Kickstarter has an almost captive audance of early adopters.
Early adopters tend to not care about small upgrades whilst major innovations excite them. If the early adopters are not excited about a square disc, it is almost a sure bet that the regular Joe will never touch it.
Using kickstarter in this manner is a way to reduce risk.
Of course, even if the early adopters like it, it still may flop in the open market.

None of those videos show anyone throwing the Sonic more than 40-50 ft. I can throw a tuna sandwich that far. 'Course, no one in the videos had disc skills, either, so only hands-on would convince me of any merit in the design.

How often have you had to throw a tuna sandwich?

How often have you had to throw a tuna sandwich?

Its been near 15 years ago, but our fire crew got tuna sandwiches for lunch on a very hot day. The mayo had soaked the bread and, due to the heat, none of us were willing to eat it (not long after, caterers learned to give us tuna fish lunchables instead). With nothing better to do with them, we held a "flying fish" contest. The more adept of the crew were making 75-80 ft. tosses.
Tired and bored leads to all kinds of frivolity.

Latest posts