• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Design Assistance...

hangwind

Eagle Member
This is an initial post to see if there is interest.

I would like to design a 9 hole course with an additional longer 9 if I am ambitious when it comes time to actually do the work.

I would like to first preface that I do not have the funds to properly hire a course designer for our family farm. I alone could design the course but I do value some of the readership and if I can receive good help, I will take it.

I believe that this is where this community will shine (in my own opinion) for me.

Our farm homes (three on the top of the hill) are owned by two sisters and a brother. I can cross property lines to place baskets. There are two farm ponds that I would like to use in the design as well as elevation. I like the element of "caution" by throwing over water. The farm ponds are made by earthen dams and both have some elevation to work with.

I believe I may use "sounding poles" for some holes (for economy) and bricked pads (we have a Ranger to use for haul) to keep the course well marked over the years.

For a couple of the pads, depending on placement, I may pour concrete. The land has elevation and the Google Earth image will not show all the detail. I am not against purchasing a topographical map and scanning that in or finding a service and purchasing the file if I can get someone who is practiced at this. The elevation is critical to course design and I realize that it will be difficult to design without knowing the elevation. If there is no interest, I am capable and will render the course layout on my own.

To close, I am open for ideas and if interested, I would like to start a conversation if you would be interested in helping me designing the course.

I am hoping to come away from this with a file that I can print out that has the lines.

The farm is located in Northwest Tennessee.

Attachments

• Farm.jpg
    Farm.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 55
It sounds like there will soon be a Tennessee version of J&B Rolling Hills – which is a good thing.

Congratulations on being willing to get some second opinions.

Here's a thought. You might want to set up a donation box (or even charge admission). The funds could go to the upkeep of the course, and if you come out ahead, even better. Also, you might be able to find a designer who will help you out for some share of the future donations.

This will be a private course by invitation.

I will design it here but would not post the course for the public to know where it is.

Someone will fault me for that, the person who faults me is exactly the person I want to keep away from.

I should have included "PRIVATE" in my preface.

My apologies.

I'd love to look over the map and any other images you have to work with. I'm not so much interested in doing a design as I am in sharing ideas for specific holes.

When we did a design recently on private land, I have google images, tons of photos of the land and invited everyone I knew to help. Everyone expressed and interest but only three others ended up offering help.

One thing John Houck suggests in one of his past articles is to find as many hole possibilities as possible (there could be hundreds) and then determine the direction and flow. That will help make an overall good course.

Ok, here is a panoramic looking south. You can see the two ponds and get an idea of the lay of the land.

I'm going to look around the mapping sites and see if I can get an online topographic map image, if not, I will source a regular USGS topo.

With the topo, we will have scale...

Sadjo1: Thank you very much, I'm cool with that. There is enough room for a really long downhill... The view in this panoramic would be most of the back 9 or not. I enjoy a couple of open holes in a 18, I think just throwing a disc straight and long with no challenge would get boring hole after hole though.

Last edited:
I'd come down this winter to walk the property and give my advice, but the only time I have to do that sort of thing is in the winter. I am not a professional disc golfer, I am not a professional disc golf designer, but I love the idea of designing courses and since I am a landscaper I do have experience designing. I have also played over 200 course snow in the 20 months of playing this sport. I have some ideas already from the overview map and the short video, but would need more information and seeing the topography would be a big decider in tee and basket placement,t hat is simply something you can't get over the internet. I would expect anything except the chance to play this course when I am passing through Tennessee (about once a year). I am a cheap date, I know I just want to volunteer my time and knowledge and get my feet wet in DG design.

I live in Western Ky. and have been working on my own course for a few years. I'll try to help in any way I can. Check at your local court house for a topo map. The deed department may have a typo of your land for free.

I'm no designer by a long shot, but one thing I've appreciated in the courses I've played are the obstacles. Looks like there a couple groupings of trees and of course the stellar ponds that can come into play. Planting some trees now might draw nice dividends later. The land looks like it has great elevation changes, but most holes risk being "open" fairways which may be difficult to create a sense of signature holes.