• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Designers - Their Top 10 Sites

The most prolific niner designer may be Jussi in Finland although I suspect some of them were done by people employed by Discmania with Jussi overseeing or supplying the hardware.

Don Hoffman designs a damn good course. I had a hard time finding a complete list of his designed courses, but it appears I've played at least 23 of them. Being from WI, possibly (probably) more.

"Duster" Don Hoffman, the Johnny Appleseed of WI disc golf, in the 90's & naught's.

Yes, Billy Crump stole that line from me and used it on the video from the Highbridge Worlds.

Interesting? Maybe.
One analogy might be a great running back playing on a team with a lousy line and lousy passing game. Some of their best work might simply be managing to get back to the line of scrimmage.

Vs. an average RB playing behind a dominant line and a good passing game. He might gain more yards and score more TD's (i.e. end up with the better course), even though the the other RB may actually be the more skilled player, but ended up with fewer yards/TD's.

So ... Barry Sanders vs. Emmitt Smith. :popcorn:

I'm sure many good designers have worked on rather uninteresting pieces of property, and/or with limited budgets. In fact, such circumstances may be opportunities for some of their very best work. Outstanding design might only yield a 2.5 -3.0 type of course.

In my opinion courses currently rated 3.0 and 3.31 represent some of my best work.

A monkey could design a course rated 4+ at either Hawk Hollow or Lake Marshall (but might not wind up at 4.5+.)

In my opinion courses currently rated 3.0 and 3.31 represent some of my best work.

A monkey could design a course rated 4+ at either Hawk Hollow or Lake Marshall (but might not wind up at 4.5+.)

Sometimes, the talent lies in getting access to the best property, to begin with. Or being lucky enough to already have it.

It's a good point. I can think of some fine courses carved out of relatively ordinary woods, with modest elevation, where the major features were plenty of room, and the designer's creativity.

Sometimes, the talent lies in getting access to the best property, to begin with. Or being lucky enough to already have it.
Or perhaps, Biscoe's key to success is his self-deprecating nature.

Pat Blake has 10 in Wisconsin including a couple of co-designs. Gems at Wilderness and Zobel, plus a very nice 9 with dual tees and two permanent baskets on 8 of 9 holes (9th hole on an island green) in Evansville. He has more courses in the works that will likely kick up the average rating.

zobel is a touch overrated on here at 4.41

I'd be interested to see the lowest rated top 10s.

I'd be interested to see the lowest rated top 10s.

Do you mean a designer with 10 courses that are the lowest rated? Yeah, I would be curious to see that too.

I would guess it will be some shmuck cramming in crappy 9 holers anywhere they can.:wall:

^That's it.

and yeah, a designer of 9 hole city park style courses was my thought as well. We have a lot of those types of courses in my area.

^That's it.

and yeah, a designer of 9 hole city park style courses was my thought as well. We have a lot of those types of courses in my area.

And unfortunately the guys that "design" these types of courses feel compelled to to try to put in more of them. :doh:

Latest posts