• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course in Pinehurst NC

I can come out and lend a hand as well only a little over an hour from Raleigh. And I'm an out of work college student with the semester off so I have some free time.

Hey everyone, Just a few things
1. My name is James, the Eagle scout who is working on the course.
2. The course is all cleared out and I'm waiting on further instruciton from Stan.
3. I'm sure many of you have already been out there and I'm glad that its getting the much needed publicity
4. I'm hoping to have the course all ready by the time I go to Philmont but with the speed things are going I may have to wait till I get home.

Hope everyone enjoys the course once it does get open though, any ideas for it are much appreciated.

James

In addition:
I'm sorry the course isnt being developed at the speed some would hope but at the time most of these comments were posted I was in the middle of track/field season and i was dealing with some personal problems of my own. I have however gotten a hold of my self and have picked up where i left off by holding two workdays on two consecutive saturdays (april 16th & 23rd) where we cleared the 5th through 8th (with some minor work on 3 and 4). Ive also met with Mark Wagner, the director of Parks and Rec, and discussed what needs to be done next. Our next workday should be on the 21st where we will be doing some groundwork and finish clearing out the 9th hole, providing it still needs to be cleared.

Attaboy James. I hope you enjoy Philmont. It was one of the best experiences of my life. I did my 50 miler back in 1970.

I knew when I first talked to you and your parents that you had bitten off a lot more than you realized by tackling 9 holes. Still, you have persisted and the reward will be huge for you and all the people who will enjoy the course once it is opened. I hope to get down there very soon to mark tee pad locations and such.

Snikies!!!! What the heck!!!!?? I went to the park today to mark the tee areas and pin locations and was nearly devoured by hordes of biting flies. Horse flies and deer flies. Does this go on all summer long or just on humid overcast mornings? I couldn't wait to get out of there, with my few dozen bites. Never had an experience like that.

MooreCounty DiscGolf
OK! Who wants a discs golf course in Pinehurst?!? They need help tomorrow installing the baskets. PLEASE run out there and lend a hand. About 10am chicken plant road. Be one of the first to ring chains in Pinehurst!!!

from FB

yeah this morning we got all 9 sleeves in the ground....the baskets will be put in next weekend....there is still a bunch of clearing to do to get it ready for play ....also there is no real driveway or parking lot ....if you didnt know the area then you probably wont be able to find it.....the back 9 will be done when the town gets the money for those baskets....but there is a layout done and mostly cleared...

I have been informed that another work day is planned for tomorrow, I guess it will start at around 10 or so.

any word when the town will be there to take the wood out or chip it up....i walked it when i went back to get my post hole diggers....there are a lot of branches laying around that need to be taken care of....but i like the setup

I am not sure about limbs and branches but I would be willing to bet that the town would not mind at all if you went out and drug limbs out to the edge of the field or to one side of the fairways so the chipper would just have to make one stop per hole. I received an email from James today and he said that they plan on start putting up the baskets between 9:30 and 9:45 Saturday I am sure all that are interested to help are invited to do so.

Tomorrow Saturday at around 10:00 it is hoped that the baskets will go in or at least a good start on them. I do not know how long it takes to install a DGA basket as I have not seen than many of them and never installed one. Anybody that wants to help, I am sure you will be welcome...

whats the story on the tees...? do we just need to go out and rake back the pinestraw and level them off....? also has the back nine had any trees cut at all...? or is it even marked out...?

I believe that tees are just going to be just raked and leveled for the time being although they did talk about getting some gravel fines similar to Pine Cone Crush. It is my understanding that the back nine has been marked but no trees have been cut. I was told that permission was given at one time to cut the back nine fairways but that was back in the spring and I do not know if that permission is still a given. Of course the important thing is to get the first 9 up and running. Pinehurst may provide more funding if the course is used and not abused.

At long last there is DG in Pinehurst... or at least 9 holes of DG. There were about 20 folks out to help today. the baskets went in as well as work on the fairways and tees locations raked. Be assured that play began on the course before work was complete; is work ever complete on a DG course? I sure hope that the other 9 holes get installed soon because this is to good a layout to only have nine holes.