• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Pruning

hobo

I am trying to bring a 9 hole course that has not been maintained, back to life. Extensive pruning seems to be one of the easiest ways to make it more playable. I am a little concerned with doing it without permission, also with the red tape involved in doing it legit. I went to the counties website and was astonished to see whole pages under the section (PUBLIC TREES):wall:, it sounds difficult to do it the right way.

Anyone have suggestions on how to approach the situation????

Do it legit. Set up an appointment with the park's arborist, naturalist, manager or whoever and walk the property to discuss what can be pruned; you might find that there are trees that can actually be taken out. You could always go out and do some pruning and get away with it once, but without an understanding between the owner's (park authority) and the players you'll be cruising for trouble. Once you've established a trust, they'll let you do whatever is necessary.

Or wont, then be looking for you. I say do it, drag the stuff away say nothing and no one will probably ever notice.

The naturalists like to feel important and you might not be cutting anything. Your risk either way. At leastwith myoption you have a trimmed course.

Or wont, then be looking for you. I say do it, drag the stuff away say nothing and no one will probably ever notice.

The naturalists like to feel important and you might not be cutting anything. Your risk either way. At leastwith myoption you have a trimmed course.

I agree with Huey; sorry Tom.

Start by carrying small cutting tools that fit in your bag and just do it.

A mule once told me sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness instead of permission.

It's a disc golf course, things need to be trimmed. If no one else is maintaining the course, please give it some love.

If this course is in a botanical garden consult the expert. But it's not, so cut away.

Think about the shots. Don't cut anything that will take away from the course. Clearing underbrush helps everybody (the park department inculded). Trimming trees is tricky, look at it from a lefty and righty perspective. Think twice cuz you only cut once. However, trees and bushes will grow back, so don't be too scared.

Clear the underbrush as much as you'd like. Only trim the trees where absolutely necessary.

Small saplings can be removed if they are in a bad location for play.

The less you trim, the better... and the less people you'll upset.

I wouldn't do anything that could cause some issues. If its small, have at, but I just wouldn't go in there and start cutting down trees.

HAPPY FATHERS DAY

Thanks for the advice fellas, I went out today and did some trimmin with no worries. I had the course to myself and when it was all said and done the course thanked me with some sweet elderberries. I just cleared 2 holes but man it made a difference. There are a couple of large dead trees out in the fairways that i think i will go through the county to cut and hopefully they will haul them away too.:thmbup:

Thanks for the advice fellas, I went out today and did some trimmin with no worries. I had the course to myself and when it was all said and done the course thanked me with some sweet elderberries. I just cleared 2 holes but man it made a difference. There are a couple of large dead trees out in the fairways that i think i will go through the county to cut and hopefully they will haul them away too.:thmbup:

Good deal! :hfive:

My only recommendation is that you attempt to contact the course designer/pro before doing anything.

From what you mentioned about the course, the designer/pro has abandoned it but there is always the possibility that the course is that way for a reason.

Some parks have very specific guidelines pertaining to clearing, pruning, etc. and even though it may take a while for them to notice changes, they usually come down on the course pro or local club when they do notice it.

Dual fairway hole with several distinct options off the tee designed to encourage strategic play. Well intentioned but uninformed individual comes in and clears out a dozen or so bushes, effectively opening a direct line at the basket and defeating the intent of the hole, not to mention the extra effort creating the parallel fairways.

Please be very careful with what you cut.

Personally I believe in building a relationship with park staff/owner to promote the maintenance and development of courses. This won't always be possible. So be it, move on.

I have been taking care of the Corydon Lake Park course for the last two years now, and I have found that the local DNR department is very appreciative of the effort, the park is owned by the county, therefore, taken care of by the DNR. I can only imagine that most other departments would be more than happy with any help they could get. Just remember that it takes a lot of effort to keep most courses up to snuff, this holds true in Iowa anyway.

We are going to do this Saturday. I am new to this, so I don't know the ins and outs.

With regard to the basket itself, what should or should not be in the circle? What about limbs that now hang lower than the top of the basket?

What about a defined disc line? Some of our holes are getting to the point where people are throwing around instead of down the fairway because the hole has gotten so small.

We are going to do this Saturday. I am new to this, so I don't know the ins and outs.

With regard to the basket itself, what should or should not be in the circle? What about limbs that now hang lower than the top of the basket?

What about a defined disc line? Some of our holes are getting to the point where people are throwing around instead of down the fairway because the hole has gotten so small.

It depends a lot on what plants/trees they are. If they are large trees I feel that any public park (disc golf course or not) should have the branches cleared that are under 8'. Basically, I'd cut anything you can reach (and cut) with some long handled loppers. Nobody should need to worry about losing an eye while walking in a public park. If it can't be cut with hand lopper, it can probably be left alone.

It really needs to be considered on a case by case basis but I think safty first is a good rule.

When in doubt---don't.

Much better to leave the questionable tree or branch, ponder it, get other opinions, and perhaps cut it later.....than to cut it now and realize it was a mistake.

Handy principle, if you are green light to manage course stewarship.

"Trim like a Goat"

Trim like a goat? yupp - its a handy saying that can help you or an inexperienced crew of volunteers. Think about it. A goat likes to trim low stuff around ground level. Brushy stuff, stuff that otherwise likes to grow back. And when they chew it back, they stop when they dont get any more than they want and it does grow back. (vs hogging out root balls)

Plus goats can't trim so far up in the air. They can reach about the height of a man's overhand, but not much more. And goats don't trim for scoring advantage routes either.

So Its a handy saying that can provide direction if you don't have one.

Otherwise here are some general codes I'd adhere to. Here in the NW, I've been an advocate of a hierarchy of plant species when it comes to course cleaning. Invasive non native plants, vines, stickers are free game anytime anywhere. These are the plants on your local non native invasive plant hit list - for us that's Himalayan blackberry, scotch broom, butterfly bush among others.
And for us, small alders are negotiable, conifers are more sacred. Within that - small bush immature cedars are thinnable, but firs generally get right of way preservation.

other guidelines could be set up (for yourself, or for a crew) by self designating a trim size limit such as no cutting over X" size, or having a pole staff at x' that is the cut off for high pruning, unless case specific variance is warranted.

Consider doing a simple paper diagram of any work party's objectives to have on hand so anyone that wanders in knows that some thought is attached to what is going on. Can be simple.

Handy principle, if you are green light to manage course stewarship.
"Trim like a Goat"

I like this analogy because I was recently give the "thumbs up" to start clearing out an area for a potential course, and now I kind of have something to go by in case the course ends up being a no go.

I've got a similar situation in my hometown. It's a mediocre 9 hole course with recently added long tees on all but 2 holes. Here's the thing, it would be really easy for me (or another member of the club) to add the long tees on the 2 holes. As far as clearing goes, it would just be some weeds and brush (not too worried about that). However, we would have to take in a shovel to level out a dirt teepad, as opposed to having it on a 30 degree sideways slant. It's a city park and they don't really maintain the course very much and definitely don't know anything about disc golf. This is in the woods, so it wouldn't interfere with anything (mowing, current holes, etc.). I'm just in the same area of do I ask the park permission and risk them telling me no and looking out for unallowed maintenance? Or do I just do the work myself which really doesn't include anything major?

I'm just in the same area of do I ask the park permission and risk them telling me no and looking out for unallowed maintenance? Or do I just do the work myself which really doesn't include anything major?

You don't have permission (which is the same as they already told you "no"), and they're already watching out for people who damage the park.

What's the downside of asking for permission?

Whether they say "no", or you don't ask permission, either way, you don't do the work yourself.

Latest posts