• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Pruning

You don't have permission (which is the same as they already told you "no"), and they're already watching out for people who damage the park.

What's the downside of asking for permission?

Whether they say "no", or you don't ask permission, either way, you don't do the work yourself.

True, but I still think that is the tough part to define. And remember, I'm not talking about cutting down trees. More minor things. I would definitely ask someone before doing something more serious.

When in doubt---don't.

Much better to leave the questionable tree or branch, ponder it, get other opinions, and perhaps cut it later.....than to cut it now and realize it was a mistake.

Well said.

Someone else said contact the course designer/pro. Also a good call.

We have a love/hate relationship with the trees. Don't cut it down, learn to throw around it. There needs to be a group consensus before any part of a course is changed. But, you may need to be the leader of that group if that park/course is in disarray.

True, but I still think that is the tough part to define. And remember, I'm not talking about cutting down trees. More minor things. I would definitely ask someone before doing something more serious.

Keep in mind that it may be tough to define, but ultimately it's the authorities who will do the defining.

I have been interested in this thread how a shift seems to be in place; allowing for someone to personally trim a course. I can tell you, that one instance regarding a poor choice in this area, can create long term negative effects with either the parks department, or the course designer, or both. Each situation is singular, and perhaps personal commitment is what is needed in this case, if there is no one else doing the work. However, I would strongly suggest that you make every effort to discover who is in charge and speak with them.
The two instances I noted very briefly above have had two decade ramifications to our local scene.
In both cases the course "actually benefited" from the unauthorized design alterations. But, the damage to relations that resulted caused huge problems down the road....

Last edited:
^^^I should amend the above by saying that only one of the two instances benefitted the course(s) involved. The other was silly IMHO and made the designer so mad that the hole involved (which was a favorite hole of many) was taken out of play and has not been in use for many years now. I even attempted to encourage the pin placement to remain in the ground; during a recent design upgrade; in order for tourney directors to put that hole back in play during tourney situations, but the designer, many, many, years later, is still so mad about the unauthorized cutting, that the sleeve was pulled, and that hole will never been seen again....

.....the course "actually benefited" from the unauthorized design alterations. But, the damage to relations that resulted caused huge problems down the road....

A very instructive lesson.

I guess there may be two lines of authority involved---who can authorize the cutting (parks dept.), and who chooses what to cut (one person, or a very small committee). Sometimes that's the same person.

For the latter, you want to avoid multiple people pruning on a course, each with his own concept of what should be done. You can end up with a desert.

I am trying to bring a 9 hole course that has not been maintained, back to life.

Anyone have suggestions on how to approach the situation????
Nine hole course that has not been maintained ??? Trim away. I doubt you will offend the "designer", or else it would be maintained.

If you ask permission, you'll make sure that patch of "weeds and brush" isn't the Beloved Local Hero's Memorial Wildflower Butterfly Garden.

Ah ha! I've solved the problem! I just need to build my own course. I have nowhere to build it, no money to fund it, but... problem solved. (Sigh)

Latest posts