• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courses along I-80 from Denver - Des Moines

OutHereTossin

Hey DGCR,
I will be driving from Denver, CO to Des Moines, IA this July, and want to get a few rounds in along the way.
Looking for course recommendations / suggestions...
Thanks,
Christian
OutHereTossin

Optimist and Pessimist courses in Ft. Morgan an hour or so from Denver. Right on I-76, which is the way you would take to get up to I-80 out of Denver. Home of the High Plains Challenge tournament, and in my opinion, the best courses not in the Colorado mountains.

I second Hummel....although I haven't been there in 3 years, not sure if its still in tip top shape

I make the trip from lincoln to Denver all the time. Totally agree with Ft. Morgan courses, but that is a pretty early stop on your trip. Cottonmill in Kearney is worth a stop. It's a little off the path, but Lake Hastings (Hastings, NE) is a course I really enjoy. Mahoney State Park has a great course. Its barely off the interstate. Treasure Cove in Council Bluffs. The most important stop of all of them is the course in Atlantic, IA. It's awesome. They take great care of it.

Drove I-80 from CA to Iowa last year. I made several stops to play courses in Nebraska.

Westbound, on the way home, I played Roper Park West...uhhh, just pulled it up and it is currently closed.... Well, if the replacement, Roper Park East, is as good, and given that it looks easier to get to from the highway, you might check it out.

I also played Lake Helen Rec Area in Gothenberg. I would only recommend this as possibly the best place to play in between Big Springs and the Kearney area if you need a break.

If you don't take I-76 up to I-80, then you might consider Deer Run Park in Sidney, NE. It is a bit better than its rating, as the trees have matured since the early reviews. Best access is from the same exit as Cabela's, so if you are thinking of stopping there....

For me time was a major consideration, as I had around 1800 miles to go in 3 days, and I had to balance quality with time and daylight.

Treasure Cove and Hummel near Omaha and Sunnyside in Atlantic and Cottonmill in Kearney.

This. I lived in Omaha, and these are the ones to hit. Hummel has the most "wow" factor but conditions on about half the course could be iffy with weeds, depending on when they had the last work day. I'd still prioritize this one.

Treasure Cove and Sunnyside will be in great shape and both have some fun elevation and good design. I miss all three of these courses.

Avoid Roper in Lincoln. Even if the course is open, it's just okay.

On the other hand, if you want something on the other end of the spectrum, try out this course. It's tied for worst rated course on the site!

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=700

I have travelled this many times. Definitely hit up Fort Morgan and Cottonmil in Kearney. Lots of smaller nine hole courses along the way but may not be worth it.