• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courses and cycling

WillA

Birdie Member
I have really gotten into cycling lately. Are there any courses in the mid south that are in areas close to a greenway? Any cool places where you can combine disc golf and cycling?

Idlewild has an awesome disc golf course and well over 12 miles of quality singletrack.

i know of some with mtn bike, but it doesnt seem like thats what he means

Burns Park in North Little Rock as access to dozens and dozens of miles of trails. The disc golf courses aren't the greatest, but the Red Course is a fun wooded 18 and the Blue compliments it with more length and a little more variety. The bike trails line the Arkansas river and even cross the river several times including crossing the longest pedestrian only designed bridge in the world. I love running on these trails.

The Cincy area has both mountain and road options.

On the north side of Cincy there is the Little Miami Scenic Trail. 78 mile "rail trail" from Newtown to Springfield, OH. It's a great place to put some miles down without much to worry about other than joggers. I ride it often when the weather is a bit warmer.

What type of riding are you looking to do?

I'm not a cyclist, so my definition may be slightly off, but greenways are like trails that go around/through cities and are free from traffic. Trails linking different parks I believe are common types of greenways.

I've got some neighbors that do cycling races, and have heard them use he term and that's what I have gathered from them anyway.

I really like the idea of combining the two! Just think of it. You have a small backpack that holds 8-10 discs in a pocket easily accessible while still wearing it. You ride a bike up to the tee off area and throw sidearm just before passing the line. Then, you pull another disc out of the bag (while still riding) and release it just before passing the first disc. You do this until you've completed a hole (or ran out of discs). You get a penalty for each time coming off the bike during a hole.

Of course, backhand wouldn't work very well, and putting would be pretty tough too. Also, this sport would only work on very open courses where you can ride a bike the entire way. The whole throwing while riding without falling off would be interesting. I'm thinking it could be called bike golf. Now I kind of want to try this out.

I can think of some courses in rural areas that have scenic, almost traffic-free backroads nearby. Don't know if that fits your taste or not.

Renny has some kinda meh mountain bike trails. Rankin Lake in Gastonia, has an adjacent greenway that will be eventually expanded and tied into a much larger eventual system of greenways called the Carolina Tread Trail. Hopefully this will all happen before I die.

To clarify, I was talking about cycling with a road bike, not mountain biking. Idelwild might be a possibility. How about St. Louis? I've been told they have some terrific greenways there. I'll have to check and see if there's anything near Jefferson Barracks or White Birch Park.

To clarify, I was talking about cycling with a road bike, not mountain biking.
Well, in that case, my home course would be right up your alley. We have a bike path that snakes right through it.

1ce2b140_m.jpg

You can park in the DG parking lot, bike around the park (3 mile loop) then come shoot a round when you finish.

Fort smith, AR Ben Geren Park has 2 18 holes courses about 11 miles of MTB trails as well as 16 miles of paved trails going through the woods for the most part. I ride a little bit of MTB of those trails are fun. Me and my girlfriend walk our dog on the paved path and its pretty scenic. worth traveling for? i would not, its awesome but i am here all the time because i live 1.5 miles away :)

A bit more Cincy info...

Along with the Little Miami Scenic Trail (it's paved, not a dirt or gravel trail and follows the Little Miami River.) there are also countless great scenic cycling routes in N. Ky and in OH that follow the Ohio River. It's riding on the roads, but they are very common cycling routes that aren't heavily traveled and motorists are typically aware of cyclists. My favorite of which takes you up and down some serious hills (The Twin Sisters), then passes by the Rabbit Hash General Store before following the river for a bit then back up some hills and past Big Bone Lick State Park (I couldn't have made that name up if I tried.) Large salt lick in the area that attracted large prehistoric animals like mammoths and such which in turn got stuck in the boggy swamps and died. No disc golf course there, but an interesting place none the less. If I remember correctly it's about a 30+ mile loop but feels a lot longer because of the hills.

Thanks to the politicking of one of the local bike shops, many of the Cincy streets have added bike lanes in the past year.

The Little Miami Scenic Trail is fairly close to the brand spanking new Cincy course up in Goshen. Osage Grove DGC Enjoyable course that's only gonna get better as it "beats in".

Miami Whitewater Forest has an OLD (like Mach I old, fairly short lengths, etc.) 9 hole course and about 10 miles of paved trails. Huge park are pretty nice overall. This place is packed come summer time.

Currently in the works is another paved trail system that is planned to completely circle CVG airport with short spur trails that connect the planned 23 mile loop (currently only 2-3 miles complete) to some of the larger surrounding neighborhoods. Something to think about for the future.

Contact Mando. He owns Sugaree and knows all about NC mountain and Boone disc golf. They also happen to have the Blue Ridge Parkway and virtually ulimited cycling up there. There is great road rides and I believe mountain bike rides all over that area. But I am not a trail or mountain bike guy.

The suburbs of Philly actually have really good road cycling rides available. I have riden the 100 mile Livestrong rides there, and Tyler St Park, Sedgeley and Camp Sankanac are nearby.

The Charlottesville area of VA has great road cycling rides and Walnut Creek is a very cool course.

We're currently building a course on Mt. Emily that shares land with mountain bike trails. I work at the bike shop and have been pushing disc golf on all the riders. It's been interesting.

edit: as for road biking, **** it, you can still ride 'em.

Last edited: