• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courses EVERYONE loves except... You

I try to go into every course with a "I hope there's one shot that I'd like to throw again" vibe...then I'm never disappointed.

Not a fan of colorado heights university. Everyone raves about it but if you can't throw 450+ you can't score good there. Oh well it's gone now.

Pleasant view disc golf course in Russellville Arkansas, everyone who says they shoot better here than old post is a dirty liar. for some reason this course only eats your favorite disc

Haha, i agree. Its a beautiful course and i dont hate playing there, but there are some really terrible holes there that will absolutely destroy a round.

Sometimes courses are overrated, sometimes it's a matter of personal taste. I really, REALLY have tried to like Rogers Lakewood. I can see its merits and I should like it, but I don't. I don't think its overrated, I'm just not feeling it. I've played other hard courses that I've liked, and really to be a great course it has to be hard, so I'm not holding the "hard" against it.

I should like it. I really should. I wish I did. I don't, though.
I really liked RLP, but that's how I feel about Parma,OH, and to a lesser extent, Handyman Ace Hardware in Fairborn, OH.

Kaposia park. Everyone talks about it being a classic course, how great it is. I just it's just okay. It's tight woods golf, the lines sre EXTREMELY repetitive and there are only two holes in the 18 hole layout that I personally feel are memorable. If you can throw straight or throw a hyzer, you can score excellently at kaposia. Boring.

Kaposia park. Everyone talks about it being a classic course, how great it is. I just it's just okay. It's tight woods golf, the lines sre EXTREMELY repetitive and there are only two holes in the 18 hole layout that I personally feel are memorable. If you can throw straight or throw a hyzer, you can score excellently at kaposia. Boring.

100% disagree.

It IS a classic course and rightfully so. It's a great mix of open shots and tight wooded shots. It will test your game on a straight and hyzer line and on an anny/FH line.

I played that course almost daily for two and a half years and was never bored with it once.

I can only think of one anny shot on the 18 hole layout. Hole 3 is just a super small turnover. Hole 5 could be an anny flex. I don't believe it tests the rhfh game at all unless you only throw rhfh in which case you're basically screwed.

For me most overrated in minnesota-Brp and bryant lake. Yes both are nicely manicured and fancy. I'm talking the actual golf shots outside of the beauty factor. If these courses were not manicured I would feel both are below courses like sportsmans hill, the valley, oakwood and Lakewood hills. I still love kaposia the best because there is an element of controlling your disc the entire flight more so than other courses and punishment for not doing so. Holes like 5,6,7,9,10,12,13,15,16 are holes where you can throw a great tee shot until the last 25 ft of your shot and it can cost you strokes for hyzering out or skipping away. True woods golf at kp on these holes.

I'll just start by saying that I love Rosedale Down Under here in KC, but god damnit that course is so stupid sometimes. Being accurate is a real skill to have, but there is often just so much luck involved that it's unreal.

It's a fantastically unique course, but I have to be dragged down there to play, honestly.

I honestly think we should start all over with ratings and make them 0-10 scale. There should be more separation between a truly great course of 4.something and a middle of the road 3.

^^^This

Golden Gate park is rated 3.98 out of 5 simply because it's in the heart of hipster country. It's an overcrowded yawn course.

For me, it's Wildcat Bluff in Urbana, IA. Has a rating of 4.51. The crew that works on the course has done a phenomenal job getting it put in and building all of the baskets that are on the course. Keep in mind this is a technical course, which I usually like. My gripe with the course is always about Fairways as well as thinning out the rough a little bit, then the course would be a solid 4. There is a technical course over in the Quad Cities called Camden II that Chris Sprague has designed that has this figured out. The crew that he works with do a great job of listening to feedback and will make changes if necessary. The holes are challenging, but have Fairways. They have also figured out that thinning the rough out doesn't destroy a hole, but adds to it. All that said, I still play the course every once in a while, but every time I am finished, I am reminded of why I don't go back all that often.

Did you get to play the Web payout? Web is where it's at!

I will add Ashe County to the list. I like it, but I don't LOVE it, and I definitely don't see it as anywhere near the best course in North Carolina, which is how it's rated here. I've played it a few times, and still think the layout can be confusing, especially for a first-timer, and can feel very repetitive. A few great holes, and some great scenery for the first couple holes, but not the best course in NC, not by a long shot. I expected so much from this course because of its fating, and maybe that's why it doesn't add up to me.

my_two_cents300.jpg

Agree with this. I just don't find it amazing. Still like the course and it has some wow holes but overall I kinda felt meh.

Also the twin cities area in general. Kaposia in my eyes wasn't that great to me(3.5ish). Maybe it was that I played the worlds layout. Brp was a very nice and in my top 15 but like others said just didnt wow me much. Still a 4+ course but I expected more since it was in the top 10.

Bryant Lake was about equal to BRP in my eyes.

Wasn't a big fan of Valley either.

And hopefully this last one won't get me stabbed by the locals but current Brackett's Bluff. Still a great place but the new layout is not my cup of tea. Some put it as the best course in charlotte and the old layout was but New Bracketts just doesn't do it for me. Course I don't partake in the atmosphere part of it.

I know this is Texas disc golf blasphemy, but I just don't like Shawshank. The course has it all. It's private, lots of elevation, island hole, technical, etc.

It's way too "tricked up" for my taste. I can't really explain it, the rest of the group I play in really, really loved it. I played well on it. It's rated 4.58 on this site so it's obviously loved by almost everyone that plays it. I just don't feel it. I don't really know why.

I've always felt Bryant Lake is very overrated as far as golf goes. It isn't really any harder than Acorn park. I rated it high mostly because it is a great introduction to golf. It's pretty, there are length of easy birdies even for newer players. Of the 3 or 4 harder holes only one is actually fun/challenging.
The most overrated course in the twin cities is Elm Creek. It's straight up boring.

Kaposia and Acorn back in the mid-90s, before they were redesigned, I thought were better. Kaposia especially, but I understand they needed to be redone. I still feel fortunate to have them, so not complaining in that regard, I just miss some of the old holes we used to have.

Kaposia and Acorn back in the mid-90s, before they were redesigned, I thought were better. Kaposia especially, but I understand they needed to be redone. I still feel fortunate to have them, so not complaining in that regard, I just miss some of the old holes we used to have.

I never played the courses back then but when first starting out a lot of my friends LOVED to go to Acorn (pretty sure it was just one of the few courses they actually KNEW about) and still to this day there is something about that course I don't like very much. Most of the time I think its the amount of traffic there more than anything which puts me off.

Historically, Acorn has been a course with a few more blind holes. That may be a factor that some players may not be able to put a finger on why they either like or don't like it. Kaposia also has the blind hole issue even more than Acorn which likely affects player perception, especially those who travel to visit or don't play it often.

Last edited:
I'll just start by saying that I love Rosedale Down Under here in KC, but god damnit that course is so stupid sometimes. Being accurate is a real skill to have, but there is often just so much luck involved that it's unreal.

It's a fantastically unique course, but I have to be dragged down there to play, honestly.
I would post Rosedale Down Under in a thread about average course that you love for no good reason. Narrow lines, poke and pray holes, muddy as all get out...good God I loved that course! If I was in KC with time to play one course it would be a tough call between Waterworks and Down Under, and Down Under shouldn't even be in that category.

Around here, it's Cottonwood Creek. For some reason all yhe locals and many of the club members love that place. If it was up to them any sort of club event would only be held there. I think it's one of the worst courses I've ever played. It's dangerous, poorly laid out and filled with local college kids who don't care about anything but getting stoned and side arming their Champion Bosses as hard as they possibly can.

Still, 9 out of 10 workdays and nearly all the course funds from the club go to that garbage "course." I don't understand it at all.