• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courses EVERYONE loves except... You

I know this is Texas disc golf blasphemy, but I just don't like Shawshank. The course has it all. It's private, lots of elevation, island hole, technical, etc.

It's way too "tricked up" for my taste. I can't really explain it, the rest of the group I play in really, really loved it. I played well on it. It's rated 4.58 on this site so it's obviously loved by almost everyone that plays it. I just don't feel it. I don't really know why.

I totally agree with this. I was forced to play the course as part of the US Masters. I just can't understand how it is rated so high.

It is very well maintained and has top notch tees. It even has cute prison names for each hole. I mean who doesn't want to play a hole called "Conjugal Visit" or "Cavity Search"? It has four star amenities, but the actual disc golf is just plain stupid. It was not disc golf, it was more like putt-putt amusement park disc golf. It is like going to a miniature golf course. The only thing missing was the little windmill house with the door that opens and closes. No matter how great a golfer you are, the windmill is a total luck factor and this course is loaded with that kind of stuff.

On top of that, this course is literally in the middle of nowhere. Huntsville is already pretty out of the way and this is another 20 minutes into rural Texas. It is definitely NOT worth the drive. If I were to review this course, it would barely get 3 stars, and that would be for the amazing condition of this private course. Again, great tees, great property, great owner, great signs, great hole names....crappy disc golf.

Chestnut Ridge in Western NY. Rated 3.8 on here. Some interesting fun holes. Some holes offer challenging risk reward shots along the ravine. As an older mostly wooded course it was never maintained for golf. Too many holes that are more poke and hope that actual golf shots. And probably the best technical hole of the bunch was cleared of scores of trees by vandals. But probably the biggest reason I avoid The Ridge like the plague are the Ridge Rats. Punks, DBs, vandals, and general a-holes that frequent the Park. They've been known to stream discs and have no etiquette let alone simple common courtesy. And yet it still attracts crowds.

The Ridge is a prime reason I support private courses

I know this is Texas disc golf blasphemy, but I just don't like Shawshank. The course has it all. It's private, lots of elevation, island hole, technical, etc.

It's way too "tricked up" for my taste. I can't really explain it, the rest of the group I play in really, really loved it. I played well on it. It's rated 4.58 on this site so it's obviously loved by almost everyone that plays it. I just don't feel it. I don't really know why.

Shawshank fits the bill for me, too. I feel like it's a very particular kind of course, with how much it emphasizes the precision midrange game. All the drives over 275' are very, very standard lines, and besides the corkscrew hole (hole 15?), there are no placement-focused par 4s. It's a hit-your-shown-line par 3 course with lots of shots at birdie. Some of those lines are enjoyably quirky, but others are really standard. An unbelievable course to find in someone's yard and a fun atmosphere, but as a course itself it's just not on the level of a Selah, Moraine, etc.

The Lindsey Park courses also get a lot more love on this site than I'd give them. The Gold is perhaps the most unimaginatively designed course I've played relative to the amount of effort it must have taken to make: a bunch of dead straight super tight tunnel shots. The Blue has some nice terrain variety, but is nothing to strive to return to play. The Red is severely overrated even at 3.31 IMHO.

Finally, to a lesser extent, Deer Lakes. Absolutely a great course and fantastically maintained, but it wasn't the transcendent experience I'd thought it would be. A handful of awesome holes and a lot of really good ones. I don't think it's on the level of the region's best courses such as Moraine, Orange Crush, and Friends of Punderson. I'd still kill to have it as my home course, though. ;) And I think it's going to make a great course for world's, given the variety.

Whispers

For me, it's Whispering Falls in Greencastle, PA. I've taken a lot of grief for not liking it (I've played both the old and new layouts). I've gone back about 5 times thinking that maybe I just had a bad day but I still don't like it. My brain says it is a good course but just not for me. Between the confusing navigation, the tight fairways, the horrible shule, I just never enjoy my time there. But my friends do so it's just me. Nevertheless it has a few holes that I like. Vista del Camino was another that disappointed me. It also has a few good holes but in general I was looking at wide open fairways with six baskets visible and a map that has so many alternatives that I was often unsure of what basket to aim at. Morley Field was disappointing because the crowds were so large. I didn't finish it (I only had 2 hours) so I can't really judge it.

Blue Ribbon Pines... how are you still on the DGCR top 10 list? There's a few courses, within a half hour drive, I'd rather play.

Hidden Lake has way better unique water holes. Or should I say BOG holes. Most importantly, has greater variety. That course is the real North Minneapo gem, imo.

Lakewood Hills has greater variety, elevation, and finishing hole. Also has water holes!

I totally agree with this. I was forced to play the course as part of the US Masters. I just can't understand how it is rated so high.

It is very well maintained and has top notch tees. It even has cute prison names for each hole. I mean who doesn't want to play a hole called "Conjugal Visit" or "Cavity Search"? It has four star amenities, but the actual disc golf is just plain stupid. It was not disc golf, it was more like putt-putt amusement park disc golf. It is like going to a miniature golf course. The only thing missing was the little windmill house with the door that opens and closes. No matter how great a golfer you are, the windmill is a total luck factor and this course is loaded with that kind of stuff.

On top of that, this course is literally in the middle of nowhere. Huntsville is already pretty out of the way and this is another 20 minutes into rural Texas. It is definitely NOT worth the drive. If I were to review this course, it would barely get 3 stars, and that would be for the amazing condition of this private course. Again, great tees, great property, great owner, great signs, great hole names....crappy disc golf.

Shawshank fits the bill for me, too. I feel like it's a very particular kind of course, with how much it emphasizes the precision midrange game. All the drives over 275' are very, very standard lines, and besides the corkscrew hole (hole 15?), there are no placement-focused par 4s. It's a hit-your-shown-line par 3 course with lots of shots at birdie. Some of those lines are enjoyably quirky, but others are really standard. An unbelievable course to find in someone's yard and a fun atmosphere, but as a course itself it's just not on the level of a Selah, Moraine, etc.

I know exactly what you're talking about, because it's what I think about it too. Not much I can add to this but for being ranked the #22nd best course in the WORLD, I sure don't feel like there's only 21 courses deemed better out there.

Not that everyone loves this course, but Griggs Reservoir is one of the worst around town yet it's ALWAYS busy and I have heard numerous people say they like this course.

Basically the reality is this: Griggs is shoved into a narrow sliver of land that runs along the Scioto River. It is also part of another park so it gets a lot of traffic from non-disc golfers, who are often on trails right in the direction you are throwing. On top of this, many tees are pointed towards each other and it just makes for a very dangerous layout.

As if the poor design wasn't bad enough, every hole is exactly the same! Straight and to the left, or straight and to the right. There are few holes that are over 300' and you could play this course with just one disc, which would still be a waste of time.

Also the last time I was there my brother's bag got swarmed by yellow jackets and then my dog got stung, and I got stung getting them off of my dog. So you see, there is no reason to ever go back there.

For me, it's Pinchot State Park, Quaker's Challenge. I only played here once, and it was the thickest course I've ever played. Go off the fairway, and you'll feel like you're in Vietnam. This course gets a 4 disc rating on here, and I just don't see it.

The Ponds at Lakeshore. This course is overrated at 3.55. It just feels like it's long just for the sake of being long. Maybe if I could throw farther than 325' I'd like it more, but I doubt it :|

Thats a bummer!

I was in Austin in early Nov.2014,on a weekday at @2:30, and sailed right through. I only encounted one twosome a hole ahead of me and I let a guy with a dog go through(because my girlfriend wanted me to). The course is beautiful and amazing. Easy to follow the worn in paths from basket to pad. The drought has removed most of the grass but the rocky trails have their own unique beauty.Challenging,scenic,well maintained course with ample trash cans at nearly every pad! It's in my top 3 with RL Smith & Renny in Charlotte. Great job Austin DG Club!

Circle C Metro Park in Austin, Texas. 4th rated course in all of Texas, with 65 reviews and an average rating of 4.45. So folks obviously love this course.

Last year I had business in Austin, so I planned to hit the course. It was a weekday, and I arrived at probably 1:30 p.m. I located the first tee to find a group standing at the pad waiting to tee off. Another group was visible standing up in the fairway, apparently waiting on a group to putt out. After waiting there for about 3 minutes, yet another group stepped up behind me, and we all waited, as the group in the fairway hadn't yet thrown. When yet another group showed up to wait, I bailed out and played a more rural 9-hole course on my way home.

So while I'm sure the quality of the course is great, I cannot imagine the amount of time it would take to play 18 holes, and the accompanying frustration. On a weekday afternoon. I wonder what it's like on a nice Saturday...

I hear both sides on Briscoe, I do think the concrete tee pads where put in awfully quick.
But for me, it's Endicott, everyone in St. Louis seems to put that place on par with Jefferson Barracks, and I just don't get it. I feel a lot more cramped there, and I have come across a lot of as$holes there, both casually, and at events.

One high on my list for this thread would be Sioux Passage. Except for the top of the world hole and the last 3 holes, I thought it was just bland.

I'm not a big fan of Houck designed courses. The exception would be Pease Park. Both the 18 and 21 hole layouts were great, although I liked the 21 hole layout best.

WHHHHHAAATTTT? I don't love them all but I like 95% of them. One I do not care for is Met Center in Austin. How many have you played? Any specifically that you dislike?

This is a very common complaint. The owner can play the whole course by throwing one roc and only FH cut rollers the whole time.

See above but still, I think you're being a little hard on it. But that's why we're here and its absolutely allowed. There are some "mini" golf style holes but theres plenty of legit holes out there. a 3 is still a "Good" course so I can't argue with that.

I tihnk it gets inflated 1) because of the beauty of the property 2) the very real personality of the course and the owner/designer. They do alot for disc golf around Houston and northward so while that my not account for the ratings people generally appreciated I think its consciously or unconsciously taken it to account by reviewers.

And lastly, who the hell cares if its in the middle of no where? That should have zero or virtually zero bearing on rating. Look at Selah - BFE ----Flip City - middle of ****ing nowhere - Holler in the Hills - In the sticks......I could go on....

For me, it's Pinchot State Park, Quaker's Challenge. I only played here once, and it was the thickest course I've ever played. Go off the fairway, and you'll feel like you're in Vietnam. This course gets a 4 disc rating on here, and I just don't see it.

Yea I felt the same way although I could imagine if it was well groomed and not so overgrown that it might have deserved that high rating and more.

I can't believed that one and many others in that area are rated higher than Iron hill and higher or even close to Nocki

I really didn't like Fox Chase (said so in my review) , and got flamed by many people who do. It's better then average, but not a > 4 course.

I am not a huge fan of the Hornet's Nest in Charlotte (either), I personally like pretty much all of the big-boy courses I have played in the area better than that one.

I was a fan of Golden Gate. You are limited in course availability, but I think the course justifies the rating that it has on this website.

Chestnut Ridge in Western NY. Rated 3.8 on here. Some interesting fun holes. Some holes offer challenging risk reward shots along the ravine. As an older mostly wooded course it was never maintained for golf. Too many holes that are more poke and hope that actual golf shots. And probably the best technical hole of the bunch was cleared of scores of trees by vandals. But probably the biggest reason I avoid The Ridge like the plague are the Ridge Rats. Punks, DBs, vandals, and general a-holes that frequent the Park. They've been known to steal discs and have no etiquette let alone simple common courtesy. And yet it still attracts crowds.

The Ridge is a prime reason I support private courses

Fixed the misspelling.

Kaposia park. Everyone talks about it being a classic course, how great it is. I just it's just okay. It's tight woods golf, the lines sre EXTREMELY repetitive and there are only two holes in the 18 hole layout that I personally feel are memorable. If you can throw straight or throw a hyzer, you can score excellently at kaposia. Boring.

I was going to post this as well - odd layout with the fishbone holes one after another. Much prefer the Valley when I'm in that part of town.

The Ponds at Lakeshore. This course is overrated at 3.55. It just feels like it's long just for the sake of being long. Maybe if I could throw farther than 325' I'd like it more, but I doubt it :|

Yeah, there's not much to that course. Pretty much wide open, and the biggest factor is wind. More of a 2.75 to me.

i can agree that Shawshank is overrated but i'd like to see some examples of 3-star courses that Discette thinks are better than Shawshank.

I'm going to go with NcNaughton Park in Pekin, IL. It has a 4+ rating, but I just don't find it to be a very fun round. I'd much rather hit Eureka, both the courses in Morton, or even ICC.

I've seen it on once already, but. vets in Arlington texas. Everyone talks about how great it is. It's pretty rough. If you don't know the course it's very easy to get lost if you have never played. 1 is wide open. 2 is a wide tunnel. Then you get back into the "ok is the basket/tee over where" part of the course. Then you have the how do I get to 9 trails. Some signs on the course and some trim work would go a long way. Yes. It has probably the best terrain of the dfw courses but it always seems pretty rough on those middle hole fairways.

Latest posts