• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courses in Columbus, OH

The otto

I will be traveling to the Dublin (Columbus) area of OH this weekend and I would like to get a round in. So far, Flat Rocks DGC seems to be the best bet. Any suggestions out there?

Flat Rocks is definitely the best course within an hour of Columbus, its about 45-50 minutes from Columbus and over an hour from Dublin. The next best, and a little closer is Gordon Holton in Delaware, just over 30 minutes. I would say Brent Hambrick, but 5 of the holes are pulled right now and IMO they are 5 of the best holes on the course, so I might skip that to play either of the two above. After those is The Player's Course at Alum Creek and Pickerington. Both are solid, but very different courses. Pickerington is a lot easier and more open, but if you go off the fairway be prepared to look for a while and bleed, the briars are just downright awful. At Alum Creek you'll have a lot more of a difficult course, but the rough isn't nearly as bad, but water coming into play on several holes.

The closest course to Dublin is Glacier Ridge and its really just a pitch and putt. Its a little more difficult from the pros, but that's just because they add a hundred feet or so to the wide open shots that are there.

Hope that was what you are looking for.

Last edited:
I'm driving across Ohio twice within a week, plan A is get to Mt Airy in Cincy ASAP this Thur (last played it in 2004) and Idlewild on Fri or Sat or Sun (played 3 rds in 2010). I figure this better than stopping by Flat Rocks, Pickerington and/or Clarksville along the way, right?

Marysville DGC is about 30 minutes from Dublin. I've only played it a few times while visiting family in the area, but it has 18 not so terrible and not too difficult holes.

Flat rocks seemed to be the way to go based on reviews on here. I'm a low rated pro, somewhere between 980 and 990, so I'm looking for something challenging. With that said, I will also be playing solo and do not feel like getting shredded by unkempt courses. Thanks for your input!

I actually rather enjoy the Glacier course - it's actually a links course. Much more fun to play it when the grass is high and the wind is blowing hard, then it truly acts as a links course. But if the wind isn't blowing, then it's basically a wide-open course. The trick is hitting it when conditions are right. But I wouldn't ever advise a out of towner to visit it.

I've actually never played Flat Rocks. Nor Marysville, or Pickerington but I've only played about 2 or 3 rounds in the past 1.5 years, due to a number of factors. The last courses I remember really rather enjoying playing were Gordon Holton and the Sunbury course.

Keeping in mind your location, and the amount of driving you may or may not mind doing, you may be well served to focus on either courses you can hit in a specific direction, or on just a couple of courses somewhat close to each other. Marysville is relatively close to Dublin, and if you drive all the way out to Sunbury, you might as well hit Glacier on the way back.

Honestly, there isn't really a "must-play" course on the level of Idlewild or Renny Gold around here, but several solid courses that cater to different tastes. If you like links - Glacier, if you like a mix of things - Gordon Holton, and if you like paying $5 to park and playing a round with just your putter and dodging tons of people streaming to/from baseball fields, then by all means, go to the Ohio State course! Hambrick is totally worth a play when the baskets are in, but if even just a couple are pulled, it's not as much fun.

No offense to the above post, but if you are a low rated pro you will kick yourself in the ass if you play Sunbury or Glacier, they are also nowhere near each other. Also they are actually on the complete opposite side of town from each other.

With your rating I would go Flat Rocks, Alum Creek, or Gordon Holton (from the longs), everything else will probably just be a waste of time.

I think Flat Rocks will be my choice. Some of my golf friends in MD also recommended Brent Hambrick and Flat Rocks, and I'd rather wait to play Brent Hambrick when the course is 100% in the ground.

This thread has changed my plans, I'll be stopping by Flat Rocks this Thur or early next week, thanks for your input.

Columbus is no joke to drive in either. I just wrecked my truck there Sunday before last. I don't know what it is (probably the fact that I no longer drive in large cities but 3 times a year) but there's just too many highways and you better have some idea of where you are going if you have to drive across town. I don't know why but it seems to take an hour to get from one side to the other. So you'll want a plan if you are limited on time. I played Hambrick and had an awesome time but like roadtripstuff said the 5 best holes are shut down. I walked them to get an idea of the course layout and I was more upset about them being shut down after I saw what I was missing.

Played Flat Rocks today, it is way better than average, I'll give it 3.5 stars when I do a review next week. It was easy to follow and mowed well. The hard rubber tees aren't so good, that will be a con.
It was a nice diversion between my drive from Philly to Cincy. I don't get the name "Flat Rocks", there is elevation changes on almost every hole.