• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courses that Force a Complete Game

I've never walked away from a course dissapointed that it didn't have a roller/overhand hole on it. They certainly are valuable shots (especially for recovery shots) but aren't IMO necessary for a well-rounded course. Atleast in this area; most fairways that calls for a roller is either littered with sticks/branches or roots that create a increased amount of "luck" on rollers.

For my money; a variety of shot shapes (with both clockwise and anti-clockwise fade control) at varying distances with elevation change is the mix I want.

Ah, but the question isn't about a well-rounded course....it's a course that forces you to develop a complete game.

I'm not sure what this means.....although I like the sound of it. Explanation or picture/s would be helpful.

I dunno.....I am not really against rollers, but I do admit that I have a bias against them as a part of our game.....as in a required bread-n-butter throw. After all, discs are meant to fly. We are not playing Wheel Golf are we?

Spike hyzers to the first question. Or thumbers or tomahawks (or skomahawks ... feldy's a weirdo). Not a lot of courses require it off the tee, but there are lots of places that they'll save you a stroke. I consider it essential.

You just reminded me, I need to air up one of the discs on my car.:D

Spike hyzers to the first question. Or thumbers or tomahawks (or skomahawks ... feldy's a weirdo). Not a lot of courses require it off the tee, but there are lots of places that they'll save you a stroke. I consider it essential.

I can think of plenty of places that allow up-n-over shots, but not as many that require it. There are quite a few holes that are safer/easier going over the top.

The only place I remember a forced/required up-n-over was the final approach throw on Renny Gold 10 before Stan cut everything down to make it look like this. The entire area where you see shadows was a thick viney shrubbery (OK - you could try going through a doorway size hole cut in it, but you could not get to the basket in one throw that way):

e3fc959b.jpg

Courses I have played at least 10 times,

Trophy Lakes, SC
Stoney Hill, SC
WR Jackson, GA
Warner Course, GA
Steady Ed Course, GA
Tom Triplett, GA
Crooked Creek - Chapin, SC
Grand Central Station - Central, SC

Courses I have played at least once,

Socastee Rec Park, SC
Tyler State Park, PA
Blue Ribbon Pines, MN
Rollin Ridge, WI
Ashe County, NC
Big Eau Pleine County Park, WI

Funny, lately I've been toying with the idea of a wooden ramp aimed at the basket (one with a wide base that has sides that funnel the disc towards a narrow, controlled release point, kinda like you might see as a gimmick on a mini-golf course), which would provide an interesting temptation to achieve that ultra-rare roller ace...

I was thinking that if I ever put a course in that's "mine" I'd have 2" pipe laid in a circle around the baskets. Filled with sand, possibly. Something that would prevent roll-aways.

While I have only played nine courses, The Players DGC in Columbus, OH really took my entire shot selection to play. The first few holes (#1-3) are played along the edge of the forest with mature trees scattered throughout. The remainder of the course is played in the thick of the forest with two water hazards. Hole #7 consists of a lake washing up 15-20 feet from the fairway/green. Had to throw a huge hyzer out over the water to hit the fairway. There is good variety in the need to throw right and left but lacking elevation changes.

Latest posts