• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courses you don't play because...

But worst of all are roll outs. I can handle a hole or two with death putts or potential roll outs, but its nearly every hole. No thanks

This was a little off topic but interesting. What exactly is your beef with sloped greens and in particular, the greens on this course? Do you think they're unfair because the slopes are too severe or is it because the greens don't offer a safe side to layup?

This was a little off topic but interesting. What exactly is your beef with sloped greens and in particular, the greens on this course? Do you think they're unfair because the slopes are too severe or is it because the greens don't offer a safe side to layup?

I dont think i can possibly explain super easily, but the general problem i see is that the side of the cage that is approachable from tee (or up shot), is the side you dont want to be on in regards to having to putt on the slope. So, in short, there is no way to approach the cage and be in what would be considered the ideal position to putt from to avoid sketchy rollouts after a missed putt.

But in the courses defense, my biggest beef with disc golf is that luck plays too much of a role in the game at times. Coming from a stick golf world, I understand that you might wind up behind a tree on an errant shot etc, but in disc the idea that when im putting i could easily hit the cage and have it roll out a hundred feet down a hill into a hazard is foreign to me. And in my mind, completely unfair.

DiscinMiller said:
But in the courses defense, my biggest beef with disc golf is that luck plays too much of a role in the game at times. Coming from a stick golf world, I understand that you might wind up behind a tree on an errant shot etc, but in disc the idea that when im putting i could easily hit the cage and have it roll out a hundred feet down a hill into a hazard is foreign to me. And in my mind, completely unfair.
I see where you're coming from on this but bad rolls happen to the very best players in the world. The best players in the world also have a much lower percentage of bad rolls than an ordinary player.

I'm basing that statistic off of watching a lot of tournament Youtube videos and my own game. The better the player, the fewer the bad rolls. To me, that isn't luck.

Have you ever been an average golfer playing a course where the greens were ready for a PGA tournament? With the green speed and cup positions the top pros use, this can happen - a lot - to the average golfer. Disc golf just doesn't wussify things for the daily player like golf does.

Have you ever been an average golfer playing a course where the greens were ready for a PGA tournament? With the green speed and cup positions the top pros use, this can happen - a lot - to the average golfer. Disc golf just doesn't wussify things for the daily player like golf does.

:hfive:

Public golf and Country Club golf are two different things when it comes to green speed as well.

Pins 3 yards from sand traps or ponds is the same basic thing. Just on a larger scale.

I love death putts. Like someone above said. You either have the confidence and you run it or you hike your skirt up and lay up.

Byron Nelson once said he will take the average golfer let them Play Augusta National(Masters) and place their ball on the green in regulation.

They wouldn't break 100.

I truly didnt mean my statement to be a rant and understand your points: I'll leave it at this statement and let it get back on topic.

It's been a long time since i have been an average golfer. I am a low single digit handicapper. I do get your point, but in my 18 years as a regular golfer Ive never had a putt that was the appropriate line and speed roll off the green and into a water hazard and make my birdie turn into a double bogey. That happens in disc, and a big part of the reason why is the added variable of the cage being in the air. I get that. But hitting the cage and having it sit, vs having it roll, is still 100% luck. I get the point, make the putt and its all fine and dandy.

Pros have this happen too. It's bad luck. Plain and simple. I feel most people do better at accepting that in games of skill. In fact as an avid poker player I do accept that the better you are the less luck is involved, but it still there. same with disc. And it irks me.

Paul Mcbeth: Hole 2, dela, round 3 masters cup last year. Makes one of the best drives of the tourney on the hole, has inside edge of the circle putt, rims out, he gets dela'd and it rolls down a ridge and his birdie turns into a bogey, all due to luck. In fact, he did well to save bogey.

this is off topic tho and it wasnt intended to be a rant.

i think i personally make the mistake of comparing the two games too much. My complaint about the course i dont play was specific. i hate that there is no way to get to the safe sides of the greens. Some of you have mentioned how difficult true pro level courses for golf are set up on the greens. you are right, but remember that on a course like bethpage or shinnecock, for instance, you have areas of the green you want to avoid for each pin position, and places that are easier to putt from. From practice rounds and experience you know where these are. In golf they don't put stuff in the way to make it impossible to get to those safe areas. if you miss it was a bad shot and you should be punished. My point was this course doesn't have a safe area that is reachable. I don't think that is fair.

... in my 18 years as a regular golfer Ive never had a putt that was the appropriate line and speed roll off the green and into a water hazard and make my birdie turn into a double bogey. That happens in disc,...

I think the added wrinkle is that as a young sport, we are still experimenting with things like making the "appropriate line" something other than aiming at the basket. In other words, this is a hole where trying to make the putt is a mistake.

I guess in golf it would be like having a safe place to land the ball on the green, and force the player to roll the ball to another place which would be safe to putt from. Annoyingly tricky, and par for that hole should reflect the expected 3-putt. Too weird for golf. May be driven out of disc golf by popular demand eventually, too.

Paul Mcbeth: Hole 2, dela, round 3 masters cup last year. Makes one of the best drives of the tourney on the hole, has inside edge of the circle putt, rims out, he gets dela'd and it rolls down a ridge and his birdie turns into a bogey, all due to luck. In fact, he did well to save bogey.
Well, in this case McBeth has the option to lay up for a safe 3 (and probably not lose any strokes to the field) or take the putt and risk a roll out if missed. IMO, encountering this sort of dilemma on a fairly regular basis is what golf is all about. It's not necessarily luck as much as it's about sound decision making and understanding what you're capable of.

Well, in this case McBeth has the option to lay up for a safe 3 (and probably not lose any strokes to the field) or take the putt and risk a roll out if missed. IMO, encountering this sort of dilemma on a fairly regular basis is what golf is all about. It's not necessarily luck as much as it's about sound decision making and understanding what you're capable of.

Exactly. Paul is probably the only guy in the whole field to try and run that putt, and he found out why nobody else wanted any part of it. Risk/reward golf is a great thing.

Latest posts