• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courses you don't play because...

Are there no other courses around Morley? Why is it always so packed?

Morley's the red basket. The other two are 9-holers.

attachment.php

Attachments

• morley.gif
    morley.gif
    61.4 KB · Views: 259
You know, after typing that, I realized that I am on website that is used for searching out disc golf courses. :eek:

That's crazy that there aren't a least a few more courses around there.

You know, after typing that, I realized that I am on website that is used for searching out disc golf courses. :eek:

Wouldn't be surprised if there weren't some provisions in the lease deal at Morley to protect the business...even if they're just some backroom handshake, nothing on paper kind of deals.

Oh, the irony---I feel exactly the same about Pier, to the point that we only go there midday, midweek. Otherwise its Dabney, Timber[both getting crowded at times], Rooster Rock or Milo.

Here on the MS coast it never seems crowded yet on any course. But there's still the distraction of NFL and NCAA football, though the SEC fanatics haven't stopped sobbing yet, making it hard enough as it is for them to abuse the wife and kids, let alone play dg.

Milo is the best. No problems there, because that course weeds out the weak!

Wouldn't be surprised if there weren't some provisions in the lease deal at Morley to protect the business...even if they're just some backroom handshake, nothing on paper kind of deals.

My understanding is that there are two major factors at play. The first is that land in San Diego has been expensive for quite a while now. Most of the remaining land is protected and there just aren't reasonable places to build courses. I'm actually happy that this area hasn't gone the way of places like Chicago where unsafe layouts are crammed into every park regardless of good fit. On top of that there have been rumors for a long time that the ownership at Morley has discouraged the building of new courses in the area to keep the monopoly. Combine those with the rampant NIMBYism in California suburbia and it makes it really hard to put in new courses.

That said, there has been a real effort to put in courses in the northern parts of San Diego county, with a couple pretty decent layouts at Kit Carson and Brengle Terrace and a few other beginner friendly layouts in those areas. Hopefully that growth will push the folks down south to find some new options for courses and help parks departments see that there is demand for places to play outside Morley.

Seymour Smith in Omaha is the busiest course I've ever played. I will play it in the winter because it chases away all the people who think you can only play a round shirtless, but any other time of the year it is really not enjoyable. The reasons are that it is a central location in town and rec-friendly, and the local club can't manage to get many courses built in the area (I think it's more club leadership and participation rather than the city being against it). I play mostly at Hummel and Treasure Cove, which are superior courses anyway and pretty empty.

My other busy course is Borderland, although it's not as bad as Seymour. I have played several rounds this winter where I played through 7-8 groups per round. Today it was 20 degrees with snow on the ground and I still played through several groups. In nice weather, it's pretty packed. I guess it's because it's the closest 18-hole course to Boston, but you can get much lower crowds by going another 10 minutes to Dacey Fields (or Pye Brook north of town).

There aren't any courses that fit that bill. The courses that are too busy aren't worth playing. Why are they busy? Because they're accessible and easy. And they're 9-holes. If you don't like crowds, go play a challenging course. Those are never packed.

There aren't any courses that fit that bill. The courses that are too busy aren't worth playing. Why are they busy? Because they're accessible and easy. And they're 9-holes. If you don't like crowds, go play a challenging course. Those are never packed.

That's not quite true, places like Pier Park, Milo McIver, Morley Field and Golden Gate Park are some west coast examples of decent or better 18+ hole courses that are intermediate level or harder and are full of all levels of players.

My other busy course is Borderland, although it's not as bad as Seymour. I have played several rounds this winter where I played through 7-8 groups per round. Today it was 20 degrees with snow on the ground and I still played through several groups. In nice weather, it's pretty packed. I guess it's because it's the closest 18-hole course to Boston, but you can get much lower crowds by going another 10 minutes to Dacey Fields (or Pye Brook north of town).

I played borderlands almost every thursday this fall with some friends and although it was somewhat busy the spread out course design made it never feel that bad, and the bro quotient (brotient?) Was pretty low. That being said I did almost get hit in the back of the head with a champ sidewinder on the first hole by some dbag throwing whites to whites, thats never happened anywhere else

Ya, living in West Virginia this isn't too much of a problem. Usually I'm just happy if I see multiple groups of people out on a course. That means the sport is growing in the area. The only time being overcrowded is an issue is during tournaments.

I haven't had any issues that have discouraged me from playing the charlotte area courses- even when they get a little crowded the players are usually courteous and let you play through when appropriate, or join you for the rest of the round if its someone by themselves. There's so many good courses within a 30 minute drive though, that people don't always flock to one park.

I only got to play there once, and granted, it was on a Wednesday morning (9am-ish) , but there wasn't another soul on the course until I was leaving.

The course I play the most (Schenley) is probably one of the more heavily played in the area. It's old and established, rec friendly and located right in the middle of town.

The one beauty of my typical work schedule is that I can get in my weekday round before the bulk of the crowds make it there. Even then it isn't too bad although I usually save my weekend rounds for less busy places. I love that course a ton but if it takes me more than 90 minutes to finish I start to get frustrated.

Two courses come to mind in the expanded metro area of DSM. One is Grandview Park. That place can be a real PITA to play when there's no snow on the ground...weekends especially. The other is Carroll Matry(Gateway) up in Ames. When school is in session, this place is overrun by one disc'ers carrying three cases of beer around the course and slinging their champ boss all over the place. Now, if you have the time and temperament to with stand a round of 18 during the school season, those frat boys slinging it everywhere usually have quite a few bikini clad college ladies with them, so it's not all bad.

I guess i am fortunate, there are enough courses in the Indianapolis and surrounding areas i have never had an issue with course population. Even the chuckers in these parts will let you play thru. In my experience at least.

To paraphrase Yogi Bera..."that course is so crowded, no one goes there anymore"

In Wichita we only have two courses in the city limits. During decent weather (snow on the ground right now) Oak Park is packed. About 5 miles away is Herman Hill Park. It's a championship style course with 2 tees and 2 baskets per hole. Awesome course but it is never packed.

The only significant reason I can say that Herman doesn't get as much traffic is there is a Police Station located in the park and many holes play around it. Go figure.....

Valley View in Milwaukee, WI. It's really a decent course, especially for being tucked in the city. However, I value my car windows & locks too much to play there often. Sometimes I'll play a round when I've got the beater truck and there's nothing in it.

Latest posts