• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Crank SS

I've found the difference between Mold and Mold SS to vary greatly:
Surge v. Surge SS... significant difference, but huge
Nuke v. Nuke SS... more substantial difference
Avenger v. Avenger SS... HUGE difference, pretty much at opposite ends of the spectrum.

I find it particularly interesting that they made re-tooled the Wasp to made a less OS version they called the Buzzz, only to release a Buzzz OS that's different from the Wasp some 10+ years later.

I like D Cranks... they net more distance out of my noodle arm than most molds and they have nice glide.
I find the Z Cranks a bit too beefy for true distance without a headwind... they actually fill a different slot in my bag.
I'll probably test fly a Z Crank SS.
I'd have no use for a Crank SS in D plastic.

Last edited:
I hear ya, I just consider myself low power, I can't break 4 bills. Really all they are trying to do is market and sell high speed drivers to newbies. The low power bit and all.

I can barely break 3 myself to be honestly, and that's only on a good day. On average I'm probably 260-280. My first disc was someones unwanted old 156 Blizzard Boss. That and my 167 champ Tern are probably my most consistent distance discs that break my 280. I have to admit when i first started playing the faster discs seemed cooler to me.

I'm curious if its going to be an even more stable and faster Avenger SS. Discraft rating of .5 which is 10,4,-3,1, so maybe this .7 will be 13,5,-2,1 or -2,2? Assuming it doesn't just flip?

Looks like a really good understable long range driver. Geared towards lower arms speeds and or big must flip over type shots. Possibly a good roller.

The crank is a great mold and these discs are ones that will fill a niche I presume.

So I broke down and ordered one, Red 160g. I got it last Thursday, but i wont have a chance to throw it until tomorrow! I'm hoping its slightly more stable than my Avenger SS

This disc is pretty excellent.

For most high speed understable stuff, I still have to put some torque or anny on them to get them to fly well. Out of the box, with a flat throw - nothing big behind it - it goes very straight with just a minor fade. I got it out to the course today and tried some other lines, and it actually will do flip-to-flat-to-fade quite well. That's not something most wide-rimmed drivers do for a low-powered player within the first round. And it never felt out of control.

I'm not sure this is something I need in my bag - I am content with my speed 9 drivers for max D as I can be a bit more consistent with the smaller rim - but for those who have less power and still like to throw fast discs, this is a winner.

First off I don't have the best form or power, but I agree with onemilemore, this disc certainly flies! I easily got an extra 20 - 30 ft over what i usually throw on a good day, but its VERY flippy. it wont crash and burn, but it can turn to the right suuuuper far if released flat. But with a decent amount of hyzer and a good snap it fades sllliiiightly right, and comes back sliiiightly left for me.

I push my Z Cranks out to 425', max, and they are already flippy at that point. I have no idea what I would do with a flippy Crank.

I push my Z Cranks out to 425', max, and they are already flippy at that point. I have no idea what I would do with a flippy Crank.

My power usually takes me about 150 - 300 max, I don't think this disc is designed for people with an arm much stronger than mine unless they're going to use it as some sort of utility disc. I'm expecting a lot of players with power arms to pick this up since its a speed 12 or 13 with such a wide rim and be shocked when it immediately flips on them. Even at my low power it took no effort at all to get it to turn over and hold that line.

but then again it can be just my bad form! ;P

Might be a good roller maybe, I just won one from them on Twitter so when I get might use it for that

This disc is pretty excellent.

For most high speed understable stuff, I still have to put some torque or anny on them to get them to fly well. Out of the box, with a flat throw - nothing big behind it - it goes very straight with just a minor fade. I got it out to the course today and tried some other lines, and it actually will do flip-to-flat-to-fade quite well. That's not something most wide-rimmed drivers do for a low-powered player within the first round. And it never felt out of control.

I'm not sure this is something I need in my bag - I am content with my speed 9 drivers for max D as I can be a bit more consistent with the smaller rim - but for those who have less power and still like to throw fast discs, this is a winner.

So, I just read your site review. Can you compare this to the various Terns as far as distance and stability are concerned? Just trying to decide if this is something I need to test side by side with my Terns.

My power usually takes me about 150 - 300 max, I don't think this disc is designed for people with an arm much stronger than mine unless they're going to use it as some sort of utility disc. I'm expecting a lot of players with power arms to pick this up since its a speed 12 or 13 with such a wide rim and be shocked when it immediately flips on them. Even at my low power it took no effort at all to get it to turn over and hold that line.

but then again it can be just my bad form! ;P

150-300? unless that's a typo that is a borderline pointless statement

riddle me this: why does everyone here seem to crap all over discs that are understable?

Because all of the keyboard warriors think they are 1000 rated ability and could be the next paul mcbeth....no need for understable when you throw 500ft

Because all of the keyboard warriors think they are 1000 rated ability and could be the next paul mcbeth....no need for understable when you throw 500ft

Yep. If one cannot throw one's putter 300 ft., a Leopard 350 ft. and a Destroyer 500 ft., the Keyboard Warriors will try to make one feel like one should not pollute their DG courses with one's worthless presence, especially with (*gasp!*) understable discs!
:|

So, I just read your site review. Can you compare this to the various Terns as far as distance and stability are concerned? Just trying to decide if this is something I need to test side by side with my Terns.

I have only thrown a couple Terns, but on the whole I find the Crank SS to be less touchy in terms of nose angle upon release. I could only get the Tern to lock into flat from a hyzer flip a few times, otherwise it would hold or fade out early. I just could never dial it in.

The Crank is a lot easier to get long, straight flights out of, and it's certainly more understable in my experience than Terns. The Tern may have the edge on distance potential, though.

I have only thrown a couple Terns, but on the whole I find the Crank SS to be less touchy in terms of nose angle upon release. I could only get the Tern to lock into flat from a hyzer flip a few times, otherwise it would hold or fade out early. I just could never dial it in.

The Crank is a lot easier to get long, straight flights out of, and it's certainly more understable in my experience than Terns. The Tern may have the edge on distance potential, though.

I'm going to see how the Crank feels in the hand, as that might be the difference maker between these discs for me...

riddle me this: why does everyone here seem to crap all over discs that are understable?

The argument goes like this:

If your the type of player that would benefit from throwing very understable high speed drivers it would be better for your game, in the long run, if you didn't throw those discs. Instead disc down, throw slower and relatively straighter discs and work on your technique. Using a highly understable disc that is also really fast is a crutch. You might get a little bit of "instant distance" now, but you won't be growing as a player as much as you could be.

Of course, some people don't take this sport so damn seriously, and becoming the best player they possibly can isn't something that is all that important to them. Also I totally understand people throwing those discs if they are any or all of the following: Old, Young, disabled, injury prone, female.

So I see it both ways. I certainly encourage people to put down the flippy high speed stuff, but if they don't want to (or cant) put the work in to get past needing it I won't judge them for it.

The argument goes like this:

If your the type of player that would benefit from throwing very understable high speed drivers it would be better for your game, in the long run, if you didn't throw those discs. Instead disc down, throw slower and relatively straighter discs and work on your technique. Using a highly understable disc that is also really fast is a crutch. You might get a little bit of "instant distance" now, but you won't be growing as a player as much as you could be.

Of course, some people don't take this sport so damn seriously, and becoming the best player they possibly can isn't something that is all that important to them. Also I totally understand people throwing those discs if they are any or all of the following: Old, Young, disabled, injury prone, female.

So I see it both ways. I certainly encourage people to put down the flippy high speed stuff, but if they don't want to (or cant) put the work in to get past needing it I won't judge them for it.

Flip side of the argument: I was watching a Will Shusterisk (sp?) video the other day, about driving. He asked the group he was teaching (and I'm paraphraisng from memory here) "How many of you started out with a high speed driver like a Destroyer, and it messed you up for two years because you learned to throw it in a way that now messes up your game?" or something like that.

So learning proper form is the thing to do, of course... but trying to make a too-high-speed overstable disc work might be as bad if not worse than an understable disc. Yes, I agree that discing down won't hurt, but that is somewhat beside the very specific point I'm making here.

BTW: I'm in the "old" category, so I'll continue to throw me Terns, Mambas, TDs, etc., and have fun doing it. :)

Latest posts