• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Crank vs. Tern

BluBubs

Bogey Member
Well, as the title would suggest, I was hoping to gain some insight into people's preferences between these two molds. I guess a better question would be your thoughts on:

• ESP Crank vs. Stock, Champion "Jolly Launcher" Terns (12/5/-2/2)
  • ESP Crank vs. Star Terms (12/5/-4/2)

All the research I've seen so far (mostly here on the forums) seem to compare them to each other a lot, but I have yet to see a definitive X vs. Y comparison.

So there you go... what would you bag? (and why, please :p)

Inbounds uses and average of the CH and Star plastics stability
so the Star is probably a lot closer than you think

I've thrown both and honestly, the champ tern and the crank are the same disc. I went with the crank bc I lost 3 terns in a week, so I think they don't like me. Took that chance to try the crank, and it's a easy replacement, maybe slightly more stable. Only slightly, only slightly.

How much does crank go for now a days? I wonder, is the marketing genius behind this name an ex-(current?)junkie? Will there be a more stable version called the White Horse? O.k. I'm done. About the disc the Crank; I caddied for a friend in the Cottonwood Fall Classic Open and got to see the Crank fly under power first hand. Very impressive distance capabilities, very straight to turn over type flights. The player throwing it actually did compare it to the Tern. Who comes up with these names? Seriously.

Thanks for all of the information so far everyone, much appreciated. So, from what I'm reading here so far - it really is a toss up, with no clear winner?

Ultimately, I know that personal preference will play a huge role in the discussion, I guess I was just hoping that there would be an overwhelming response towards one over the other. :p

On a related note, I prefer to throw light-mid 160s (161-165) for my Max-D drivers, and the lightest Crank I've ever seen was 167-169ish. Assuming the PLH of a Crank compared to a Tern are similar, would the ability to hit my ideal weight(s) be enough to tip the scales in favor of a Tern for 160-tosser like me?

(...yes, I realize that I am asking the internet a question about my personal preferences. I'm just trying to get as much research in as possible, you never know unless you ask, right?)

Thanks for the great conversation so far!
-Bubs :p

Do the ESP Cranks beat in as fast as the ESP Nukes? I was throwing an ESP Nuke for a little while and loved it, but it started flipping like crazy after only about a month. I believe I read that they had to mix in some Pro D plastic with the regular ESP on those in order to keep the weight down, thus the quicker beat-in cycle. Is the same true for the Cranks?

I have an ESP Crank, Champ Tern and Star turn all in the mid 160s. I do not find them similar at all, really. I'd put the Crank closer to a Vulcan with a little more low speed fade. My Champ Tern is more overstable than my Pro Destroyers. My Star Tern flies more like the Champ numbers of -2 2. Of course, I can't get any of these up to speed. Even so, my longest throws, both soccer field and in disc golf, have come with my Terns.

I'm hoping they make more 167-169 Cranks. They seem to really make most of them in the 171-175 range so far. I haven't thrown either yet but both of these fall into my prime spot of speed and stability.

Thanks for all of the information so far everyone, much appreciated. So, from what I'm reading here so far - it really is a toss up, with no clear winner?

Ultimately, I know that personal preference will play a huge role in the discussion, I guess I was just hoping that there would be an overwhelming response towards one over the other. :p

On a related note, I prefer to throw light-mid 160s (161-165) for my Max-D drivers, and the lightest Crank I've ever seen was 167-169ish. Assuming the PLH of a Crank compared to a Tern are similar, would the ability to hit my ideal weight(s) be enough to tip the scales in favor of a Tern for 160-tosser like me?

(...yes, I realize that I am asking the internet a question about my personal preferences. I'm just trying to get as much research in as possible, you never know unless you ask, right?)

Thanks for the great conversation so far!
-Bubs :p

I think the weight isn't going to be a significant issue. The Cranks will beat a little faster since they are ESP and the Champ Terns will beat a little slower, so I think either would suit you well. The other option is to find a heavy Star Tern (175g) that would, in essence, fly like a lighter Champ. But that's all in theory.

I have an ESP Crank, Champ Tern and Star turn all in the mid 160s. I do not find them similar at all, really. I'd put the Crank closer to a Vulcan with a little more low speed fade. My Champ Tern is more overstable than my Pro Destroyers. My Star Tern flies more like the Champ numbers of -2 2. Of course, I can't get any of these up to speed. Even so, my longest throws, both soccer field and in disc golf, have come with my Terns.

If your Terns are more OS than your destroyer you shouldn't throw Destroyers.

I throw 172g to mostly max weight Cranks and have got to throw/compare a max weight Champion Tern. From what I found with the Tern in that short time for me is that it didn't have the glide I was hearing from many others. From the same slight hyzer release and power, sometimes it would have a good amount of turn in the beginning and then slowly fade back a little and a lot of other times just turn and not come back. It was like throwing my max weight, worked in Champion Teebirds that I use to have, sometimes they turned in the beginning and slowly came back and other times they just turned and slowly stayed on that path. From playing with a good amount of Innova in the past is that Champion plastic seemed to break in a lot faster than I liked with some additional help from Michigan weather changes. Many people still do like the Tern and claim that it works wonders for them. There has been much more conversation about the Tern than the Crank on these forums, so it should still be a good choice. The only way you will ever know is by trying them both out and seeing what works best for your throwing style. Now for the Crank this disc with a slight hyzer release pretty much goes lazer straight with a little fade at the end. More hyzer and height just adds more fade at the end. Thrown flat it will have some turn to it and then start to make its way back to center. As for ESP plastic, it has always held up great for me. My Cranks have crash landed over 400 plus feet directly into a rocky area many many times and still come out looking new, intact with only a slight scuff. Hopes this helps! My vote is for the Crank, they go far with ease!

If your Terns are more OS than your destroyer you shouldn't throw Destroyers.

I love these drive by comments. You realize this makes no sense, right?

Only the champ is more overstable, and it's only more overstable than Pros. Not nearly as overstable as my Star.

I have an ESP Crank, Champ Tern and Star turn all in the mid 160s. I do not find them similar at all, really. I'd put the Crank closer to a Vulcan with a little more low speed fade. My Champ Tern is more overstable than my Pro Destroyers. My Star Tern flies more like the Champ numbers of -2 2. Of course, I can't get any of these up to speed.

I agree with these comments. I think the Champ Tern is significantly more overstable than the Crank. I don't know if it is the one I have or not, but I had a couple friends throw my 167 Champ Tern and they both agreed that it had a hard fade and was very overstable. I think the Star Tern may have a little more right turn than the Crank. The Star Tern is closer to a -2.5, 2 numbers than the Champ Tern. I think because the Crank easily will turn right at the beginning of the throw that it is much easier thrown for distance than the Tern.

Maybe I got weird discs but I had 172 champ tern and a 173 esp crank and to be honest I'm not real impressed with either. The tern was pretty understable which made it about useless aside from tail wind shots. And the crank was just a straight shooter with almost no turn. Nothing real special there. Maybe I got weird molds but all terns I've ever tried have been understable by far

For what it's worth I throw about 420'-450'. So maybe this is why?

It would appear the universe (well, at least DN) is trying to keep me torn between the Crank and the Tern. :p

Based on the most recent promotional email blast I just got, I see that the Crank is on special with a very generous price, but the customer review they chose to be the monthly winner is about how the Tern is glide monster that will add a mile to your drive.

...I just love the serendipity of it, that's all. :p

I have a 167g Star Tern, and was thinking about the Crank, but I think I'll just stick with the Tern, after reading this. I can Turn the Tern, but it sure does glide nicely and get a lot of distance when it turns over, and then it usually comes back nicely for a straight throw.

I have a flippy Destroyer, that I would say is still more stable, but really it is just different. Less turn than the tern when it does turn, straighter overall flight. But less Glide.