• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Crazy playing styles/throwing techniques... That work?!

Aim For The Chains

FROLF OFF!
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Reading some comments on re: understable discs reminded me of playing with a guy once who would turbo putt with a driver after teeing off and was smashing the chains from well beyond 30'.

I literally could not believe what I was seeing. Different strokes for different folks for sure!

Have any friends or run into a player at event etc which you've seen some unconventional stuff that just works 4 that person? Amazing what practice can do regardless of the technique being used lol!

I played with a guy a couple years ago that would flick his putts with a driver he held/ lined up at eye level. He smashed the chains when they went in but walked a long way when he missed.

Another buddy has this crazy style he calls the "gunslinger". He holds his putter like a normal RHBH putt but holds the flight plate against the back/ side ofhis right thigh while standing with right shoulder towards the basket. He then "draws" the disc and snaps it toward the basket. He can be pretty deadly with that putt from 70'-10'. Unfortunately, inside of 10' he couldn't buy a putt inside of 10' if he won the powerball.

I once played with a guy who putted with a beat star Leopard, seemed to do okay. Said he didn't like the feel of deeper discs.

One of my doubles partners throws an old KC Pro Roc almost exclusively on approaches and it's not odd within itself, but how he throws it that is unusual.

He throws these slightly nose up shots that start turning, stall a bit and then fade out gently. They are so slow that it can't be going more than 30mph but if he's within 200 he'll have a putt after that.

One that I do occasionally is use FAF Firebirds for approaches. If I need it to stay low and can use a skip, I'll throw a thumber low to the ground and let it skip hard at the basket. Get a lot of double takes with that one.

Thanks to my father I picked up a habit young and still use it. When behind garbage, trees and such, and there is no over the top shot, but i've got room around the right on a short approach. I will toss a really over stable driver on a hyzer around them. Not uncommon there, but when you stand at about a 45 to the basket, right foot forward, and pull back the disc behind my back dipping behind my knee and coming up with a lot of spin. So the disc sort of floats around than dies hard towards the basket.

There was a guy from Colorado State a few years ago at Collegiate Nationals that putted upside-down with Destroyers. I don't know if he did it because of the wind, or if that was his putting style, but it worked! I think he may have made the All-American team that year...

A guy in one of my leagues putts everything from outside of 20' with an overhand/sidearm/chicken wing. It's hard to even describe. He holds his putter upside down, over his shoulder, single index finger inside the rim, and flicks it. Hits some crazy long stuff with it but it's awkward as hell to watch.

I think Azie is Rex's daughter or grand-daughter.

He has an unconventional style for some shots, so I'm sure that helped her form her own style.

I saw her throw in person a couple weeks ago when I was in AZ.

Kids got skills.

I'm too lazy to post a link, but look up Brad Hammock - he has the strangest setup I've ever seen.

A regular in our playing group has adopted standstill driving, even on the longest holes. Says he feels like he has more control that way. :rolleyes: Been doing it for about 6 months...and now he has a shoulder problem. Yeah, no doubt...all arm. :eek:

A regular in our playing group has adopted standstill driving, even on the longest holes. Says he feels like he has more control that way. :rolleyes: Been doing it for about 6 months...and now he has a shoulder problem. Yeah, no doubt...all arm. :eek:

Don't tell Jim Oates that.

Latest posts