• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Creating and Ace Pot

ReedB

I'm starting a social league with some buddies and we want to include an Ace Pot. I'm thinking of other ways to build the pot rather than players putting in each round. I'm considering penalizing for lost disc, or per boogie ect. Anyone have any creative ways to build the pot?

Make it fair and simple. Just throw in a $1 when you have more than 3-4 people playing. First to hit an ace with a witness gets half of the pot. That way there is still some left in there for the next person!

One way perhaps is to make the DG equivalent of a swear jar. Every time a player commits an offending action (penalty stroke, bogey, putt hits the face mask, etc.) they have to put a quarter in the jar.

Note, if you do this, its quite obvious that the lesser skilled players will be contributing to the jar more often, so you may want to make participation in the jar game optional, or at least give the lesser skilled players easier conditions.

How about every time someone complains, they have to put a dollar into the pot. Aces get half the pot.

1 in the pot if you want to partake per round. Give the pot to whoever aces. If there is more then one ace split the pot between all. Set a Pot limit for example 300$ pot limit so nobody can win more then 300$ at a time. We have had pots over 450$ before during league play.

I'm starting a social league with some buddies and we want to include an Ace Pot. I'm thinking of other ways to build the pot rather than players putting in each round. I'm considering penalizing for lost disc, or per boogie ect. Anyone have any creative ways to build the pot?
Losing a disc is bad enough. Having to contribute to the Ace Pot because you lost a disc is adding insult to injury.

I like Scarpfish's idea, but he has a good point in that less skilled players could end up subsidizing the pot, without feeling like they have much of a chnace to cash in on it.

Maybe $/bogey, or so, but that could add up fast for some folks.

I just say let the people who want to participate.

We run two Ace Pots around here. One is a $1 weekly pot - you pay that week, you ace, you win/share the pot. The pot gets capped at $200; anything above that gets dumped into additional pots for future aces. The second is a Super Ace. Here, you have to pay $1 for every week that the pot is in existence, so if you come into it 5 weeks out, you have to pay $5 to get in. There is no limit on this pot. Last year someone hit it for $1400.

Maybe $/bogey, or so, but that could add up fast for some folks.

You could limit it to a certain amount.

What if you gave them the option of putting in $1 at the beginning of the round or taking a chance and charging $0.50/bogey ($1/double bogey, etc.) up to $2? Problem here would be if guys were good enough they almost always shoot bogey-free rounds and therefore would get in the Ace Pot for free. Maybe it'd be $0.50 minimum + $0.50/bogey?

Instead of penalizing the bad players, I would rather penalize the good players by having them pay per birdie or something.

No suggestions on how to grow the pot, but our club started a new ace pot rule to keep it from starting back at zero every ace. We now pay 25% of pot for aces under 200 ft. 50% of pot for 200-249ft aces. 75% for 250-299ft'ers. Aces over 300 feet get the whole pot.

No suggestions on how to grow the pot, but our club started a new ace pot rule to keep it from starting back at zero every ace. We now pay 25% of pot for aces under 200 ft. 50% of pot for 200-249ft aces. 75% for 250-299ft'ers. Aces over 300 feet get the whole pot.
Can't say that I like that rule. Weenie arms might as well not chip in at all. Just paying out half of the carry over every time would have accomplished the goal.
:(

:gross::wall::doh::thmbdown:

1/2 payout

They did this for one hole at Timmons Park. Hole #14 is a super-short throw so they only paid out half the Ace pot $$ if you hit it!
5d7b4d5a.jpg

It still got hit a lot during weekly doubles so they eliminated this hole from the ace list! :\

The rule was implemented because one of the courses we play has a bunch of short holes under 200 ft. It seems fair to pay more for harder aces and most of our members like the rule. If we gave out 100% (or even 50%) for hitting a 150 ft'er the pot would get drained too quick. Declaring the short holes "not ace pot worthy" would really suck for a weenie arm who actually hits one. Before the short course opened most of the aces were in the 200-250 range which pays out 50% now anyway. Not sure why you guys dont like rewarding longer aces with more $. Plus if you think about it, this rule lets the pot build up, so that your 25% payout for a shortie could be more than a 100% payout of a pot that always gets drained.

I'm sure you can figure out a scratch system that way it's fair all around. But what if you pay 25 cents over your normal score into the ace pot. For instance the upper player who shoots a 48. Shoots a 53 he puts a 1.25 into jar. The player who shoots a 58 shoots a 60 puts 50 cents into the jar.

Raffle discs.

Play "51" but instead of everyone paying the thrower $1.00 for hitting metal, they contribute to the ace pot.

Designate an ace pot CTP hole, and whoever is closest doesn't have to contribute the $2.00, $5.00 or whatever the previously specified amount is, to the ace pot.

Sell mulligans for $1.00 each.

Create "bag tags", charge for the tags, and put the money into the ace pot.

If you have a local pro, ask him/her to do a clinic and charge folks a few bucks to attend.

Last edited:
1 dollar a player everytime they come to play to the pot.

If you have data on what holes are easiest, figure out how to make them a bit harder......(move tees back or at a different angle when the footing is good). I especially do this when the pot starts to get higher and people start showing up that never come out, but only come for the higher pot. Sometimes guys get mad about this, but I'm ok with that considering I'm doing it for the guys that come every week (these are the people you should strive to keep happy) IMO

is this like 5 to 10 people or more? I have friends who do it where you throw a buck in everytime they play with more then 3 of the 10 people. You hit it you get it.

Latest posts