• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critique my form, please!

lildragon

I hope I haven't picked up too many bad habits over the years...but I figure it's time to get some input from the right people.

Rather than explain anything or what I think my deficiencies are, I'll let the experts pick apart my mechanics and help point me in the right direction for improvement. And if that means totally deconstructing my throw and starting from ground zero again, so be it :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCgzHGoMwc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zby-vo216yo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtPgdTPG4p4

Do you think that's good or bad?

In this case it's bad. You don't use your body at all. You are completely strong arming it. You have to turn your hips and shoulders away from the target, and use those to power your arm instead of just using your arm muscles to huck it.

You are planting majorly open, so you have almost no shoulder turn/swing. Your front side should be turned about 90 degrees further back and more to the left side of the tee pad(closed stance).

You are planting majorly open, so you have almost no shoulder turn/swing. Your front side should be turned about 90 degrees further back and more to the left side of the tee pad(closed stance).

Thanks! I think that's a crucial piece I was missing and looking for. I guess some old baseball habits crept in, pointing my plant foot where I want to throw.

Time to go practice crushing cans instead of practicing drives, so I can in turn crush some drives :D

I'll update progress as I work on it.

You can gain allot by watching the pros, although they have different styles there are constants that you will pick up on. Watch tourney footage online, basically each card you'll be able to see 4 different people throwing, pick what works for you, but emulate the pros they seem to have pretty good technique. :p

You could benefit from slow your run up down, you want to build momentum throughout the run up and swing. Start slow and end fast. Also, you don't want to be running off the teepad at the end (this will also be a violation if you do that for upshots). You also need to turn your top half backwards for a full reach back, this will inevitably gain distance if done properly.

It's a learning process, filming yourself and comparing to others will help. Good luck. Have fun.

Also, you don't want to be running off the teepad at the end (this will also be a violation if you do that for upshots)

False. As long as the disc has already left your hand and you are outside of the 10m circle you are free to fall past your lie.

False. As long as the disc has already left your hand and you are outside of the 10m circle you are free to fall past your lie.

Yes of course, I'm aware. I'm trying to think of what I was thinking or trying to say...? Anyway, there's is no real advantage to driving and running off the end of the teepad, it's not adding real momentum to the disc.

Thanks for catching that... :wall:

Yes of course, I'm aware. I'm trying to think of what I was thinking or trying to say...? Anyway, there's is no real advantage to driving and running off the end of the teepad, it's not adding real momentum to the disc.

Thanks for catching that... :wall:

No prob. I only pointed it out so new players wouldn't be confused! It is good advice in general though; flying past your marker is usually not good.

I appreciate the input so far! Thanks alot! I'm definitely making progress. I think in the past I was going thru the motions soo fast to compensate for the lack of body rotation and to make up for the high speed drivers I've been using.

I've been breaking down my mechanics and trying to take it slower. I think the best "key" that's helped me so far is to lead with my butt at the end of my cross step to force the body rotation (thanks sidewinder22!) I'm already getting better distance than before (+30' easily) but my consistency has taken a slight dip, but that's to be expected when I'm breaking down my throw. It will get better over time and with more practice as it becomes second nature.

The added benefit has been the additional putting practice I've been getting while warming up before working on my drives. I'll typically putt for 30 minutes with 5 putters (2x SSS Wizards, Aviar, Omega SS, and Proton Envy) then work on my driving for 30 minutes with 8 drivers (Polaris LS, Sirius LS, Star Wraith, Champion Destroyer, Blizzard Boss, River, Avenger SS, Proton Insanity)

I went and played the first round since I've made these changes today and the work is definitely paying off. I'm seeing better "S" curves on my drives and throwing longer than I was before. The kicker was I sank madd putts today making multiple 30'+ shots with people watching, then capping the round off sinking an 80-footer :D (That almost felt as good as an Ace!)

I'll record some new footage soon for comparison and more critiquing :)

Still a Work In Progress...but definitely making strides. I'm consistently hitting 300'-330' with my Wraith or Blizzard Boss these days. Here's a vid I took today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snlD7H1-XRI

Last edited: