• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cubby

Is Cubby the real deal?

• Yes

Votes: 34 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 51 60.0%

• Total voters

jdc03270

Bogey Member
I was looking at videos on youtube, and saw Cubby videos, 366 aces. What do you guys think, real or fake?

I'm sure some if not most are fake/edited. Even if some are actual aces, it doesn't count for much when you throw the same shot 1000 times and finally get one in on a dinky 150 foot hole. Just about anybody can do that...just by the odds.

Well I just took one simple video and can already tell you it is waaaaaay fake.

I run a side businesses of filming weddings and other events. I went to school for video production. Needless to say I know my stuff.

I just looked up the first video that popped up. #232 and this one is clearly faked. I'm sure he has some real aces (odds are as much as he plays he would have to)

But this SHOT in particular is so easy to tell. What I did was is slow the frames down. Frame by frame I was able to tell that the disc appears not comes into the camera shot at the 16 second mark. So when the disc fades out of frame it never comes back but appears.

This is actually a very easy effect with a tripod and basic effects knowledge. There are several ways to have done it but this is a CLEAR fake! I'm sure he might have more reals ones but I will watch and see.

Amazing what some people will do to become "internet famous" or should I say infamous.

i was saying this in the other thread, he takes way more than one shot and then claims that it's an ace. i don't think so, i have a few of those where i was practicing and it went in on my 10th throw or something like that but that's not an ace. it is still a hole in one but not for score. IMO there is a difference between practicing a 100 shots and one goes in and stepping up and hitting it on the one and only throw.

Well I just took one simple video and can already tell you it is waaaaaay fake.

I run a side businesses of filming weddings and other events. I went to school for video production. Needless to say I know my stuff.

I just looked up the first video that popped up. #232 and this one is clearly faked. I'm sure he has some real aces (odds are as much as he plays he would have to)

But this SHOT in particular is so easy to tell. What I did was is slow the frames down. Frame by frame I was able to tell that the disc appears not comes into the camera shot at the 16 second mark. So when the disc fades out of frame it never comes back but appears.

This is actually a very easy effect with a tripod and basic effects knowledge. There are several ways to have done it but this is a CLEAR fake! I'm sure he might have more reals ones but I will watch and see.

im with you the disc appears to jsut appear,
but isnt this jsut because of resolution and frame rate problems?

also is an Ace, a score of 1
or would a first drivfe ob then the second off the tee which went in count as an ace?

Last edited:
I think Cubby is real. However...
I counted the steps it took cubby to get from the tee-pad to the basket in ace #232... exactly 60. Now, since Cubby doesn't appear to be tall and since he is walking casually and not striding (as if to measure the distance)... I will estimate his stride at 2.5'. Thus, 60 steps at 2.5' = 150'.
Therefore, you must decide if hundreds of "shorter" aces are "real" enough for you. I suppose it's OK... especially considering all the work he must go through: setting up the camera, walking back to the tee-pad, throwing multiple discs, picking up multiple discs, editing, etc...
DSCJNKY

Whatever he is doing is fine by me. I just "hope" he is not lying and faking this.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt and not try and crucify him today. But the question remains why would anybody spend that much time to show off an ace?

After watching some more vids I think many more are fake. Just my humble opinion and not trying to get you to swing with my way of thinking.

I think that all his stuff is real. I mean, I don't know why anybody would post a bunch of videos that are fake. Seems like way more work than it's worth. I mean if I carried a video camera everywhere and taped myself, I wouldn't edit it to make it look like I got some shots to go in.
I'm sure the guy is pretty good and probably a bit better than me, but I have yet to see an ace that I was really impressed with. I looked up the distance on the holes he gets most of his aces on and they're ridiculously short.

No matter how many throws he has off the teebox, having 366 shots stick in the chains is still pretty impressive. I don't know how long it would take me to do that if I were trying...

I have never met Cubby, but have heard great things about him from people who have played with him. I don't think he's got the arm to be running a lot of long aces... but he does what he likes to do, and has stirred up a lot of interest, regardless of whether or not people agree with him.

I think of him like Bigfoot -- harmless and lovable and more of a symbol than something/someone you would actually try to emulate. If he loves throwing aces, then more power to him.

i know him- he used to live in tidewater and be involved in the newport news club- i have no doubt his ace count is legit, a lot on real short holes but legit nonetheless.

Those videos just don't look real to me?!...

Last edited:
I can't judge one way or the other but it seems to me that if he were going to take the time to fake an ace count to this extent, he would throw in more long holes. If you are already faking, why not go big? His short hole ace count lends credibility to the whole situation as far as I am concerned.

I know a course that has no holes over 150'. I am sure I could spend an afternoon out there throwing my putter, and rack up a bunch of aces to brag about but I choose not to do that.

I know a course that has no holes over 150'. I am sure I could spend an afternoon out there throwing my putter, and rack up a bunch of aces to brag about but I choose not to do that.

i am with you on that, i just dont see the point. play the course not the same hole 100 times.