• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

cutting grass/weeds on hillsides

chevis

flick it
Silver level trusted reviewer
I'm sure there are people out there that have hillsides too steep for mowers to cut. How do you cut the grass/weeds on the side of steep hills? weedeater comes to mind, but I am unable to use motorized equipment (only city employees are authorized to do so in the park)
I'm looking into getting a sycthe (not the disc). any experience with one of these?
scythe-anatomy.jpg

I can attest to what ru4por said: the grass whip (or weed whip as some call it) is easy to use, weighs less than a scythe, and can therefore be used for longer periods of time. Pretty sure they cost less, too.

weed-whip-680x200.jpg

The downside: you won't look nearly as bad@$$ as you would wielding a scythe.

I can attest to what ru4por said: the grass whip (or weed whip as some call it) is easy to use, weighs less than a scythe, and can therefore be used for longer periods of time. Pretty sure they cost less, too.

weed-whip-680x200.jpg

The downside: you won't look nearly as bad@$$ as you would wielding a scythe.

Works and a good choice, but I challenge you not to turn into Bill Murray within a few swings of that thing.

When I worked at a golf course we had this thing called a Flymo. Just checked and yes they still exist. It's basically a hovering lawn mover. Worked great on hillsides.

When I worked at a golf course we had this thing called a Flymo. Just checked and yes they still exist. It's basically a hovering lawn mover. Worked great on hillsides.

They are awesome. I did a couple summers in a landscaping job and used one. But, OP said he was not allowed to use power equipment.

It was tongue-in-cheek because I knew it wasn't the answer---if the parks department won't allow a string trimmer, I doubt they're allowing spraying. (For the same reason, I named Roundup even though I know there are cheaper versions---I figured the "Roundup" name would be better recognized.)

I volunteered at a living history farm for a few months where we used "period" equipment, including scythes. They are "fun" for a few minutes but then quickly become a lot of work. If they are razor sharp and you are cutting only grass they work very well. As they dull, or you get into more weedy or (god forbid) woody material they become really inefficient.

But they do look bada$$!!

Latest posts