• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Cycle or move to Better Plastic?

TripleB

Eagle Member
When you find a disc you like, that you bought in a cheap plastic, and then it gets beat in to where it's no longer useful for the flight path it originally flew, do you upgrade to a better plastic in that disc so it holds its flight pattern for a longer period of time or do you just buy the same disc again and repeat the process over and over and over?

I've got a Teebird DX that has gotten to the point where it's basically a straight flying disc...giving me almost the same flight path as what my new DX Leo3 gives me. I have a brand new DX Firebird that I absolutely love - bought it as a Tomahawk disc but now that I've gotten my arm speed up it flies similarly to what my DX Teebird did when it was new (and my arm speed was less). At some point, depending on how much each disc is used, it seems like there is going to be some overlap out of my Leo/Leo3/Teebird/Firebird. So for the future I'm trying to decide if most players move up to a better plastic in their disc or just keep cycling in a new cheaper disc whenever it's needed.

Thanks for the input!

TripleB

You will see very few people cycling base plastic in anything faster than speed 4 or 5, and most of that will be DX Rocs of some kind due to their initial stability and useful life cycle. Slower (read: blunter) discs don't have the propensity to ding up and taco as bad as faster discs, and therefore season in more gradually and more reliably.

That being said, a beat DX teeb is a thing of beauty as I've mentioned before. Really nothing wrong with just putting more DX in the bag, although I have heard that some people feel past a certain point of beatness, a DX teeb starts to flip and fly less reliably than say, a leopard.

I'd probably take your current DX lineup and do this:

leo / leo3 / beat DX teeb / add a star teeb 168ish g / DX firebird / add a new champ FD3 when the firebird straightens out more

Yeah I'd go to better plastic, you're already seeing and learning the disc wear pattern after playing for this amount of time. The harder you throw the more damage you'll do too on terrible tree hits haha.

You're throwing fairways 300+ so you're ready for premium plastic fairways. Keep in mind that your benchmark for how the molds fly will be a bit different. So I'd advise still on thoughtful choices/experimenting on molds and plastics you think you'll like rather than trying to build a cycle from the start. You're still finding your preferences and still adding arm speed even though you're in the area of using these fairways well now. If you like the DX Teebird, which everyone should, then the Discmania S-FD is a good premium plastic disc that is in a similar stability range. If you want a straight to fade Teebird flight that is still fun to throw then try out a Gstar.

Generally players who cycle base plastic will only do that for putters and maybe mids, since their blunt shape tends to beat up slower. Although DX fairways fly very very well, they do beat in faster than the midranges because of the nose shape. Don't even think about high speed DX discs.

For most drivers I prefer a more durable plastic, Star most of the time. That said, pro leopards are magic, and DX teebirds and eagles are their own thing and break in to occupy a spot that a beat in star just won't get exactly to.

Whenever you get to that point, look at what you throw each for and what gap you have. Then fill the gap. Nothing wrong with cycling DX, but you will probably end up with a DX teebird cycle and a firebird eventually. Again, nothing wrong with that at all. Beat DX teebirds can be fantastic

If I were you, I'd go online and get a Star Leo at 170+, and Stat or Gstar Teebird at 165-170 and a sub 170 Star/GStar Firebird.

These will wear into the ideal spot and stay there a long time. When they get to that sweet spot, buy another one and begin using both to try and get two of them to that spot. Then you begin the process of cycling premium molds.

I find that with Star Teebirds/ Leo's depending on how much you play, you may want to introduce a new disc every 3-9 months. With the Firebird you probably only need to replace it once per year.

You will see very few people cycling base plastic in anything faster than speed 4 or 5, and most of that will be DX Rocs of some kind due to their initial stability and useful life cycle. Slower (read: blunter) discs don't have the propensity to ding up and taco as bad as faster discs, and therefore season in more gradually and more reliably.

That being said, a beat DX teeb is a thing of beauty as I've mentioned before. Really nothing wrong with just putting more DX in the bag, although I have heard that some people feel past a certain point of beatness, a DX teeb starts to flip and fly less reliably than say, a leopard.

I'd probably take your current DX lineup and do this:

leo / leo3 / beat DX teeb / add a star teeb 168ish g / DX firebird / add a new champ FD3 when the firebird straightens out more

All correct. Except that last part. Just put another Firebird in -- champ or star or whatever premium plastic feels good in your hand.
And pick either the Leo or the Leo3.

Start cycling better plastic.

You will see very few people cycling base plastic in anything faster than speed 4 or 5. That being said, a beat DX teeb is a thing of beauty as I've mentioned before. Really nothing wrong with just putting more DX in the bag, although I have heard that some people feel past a certain point of beatness, a DX teeb starts to flip and fly less reliably than say, a leopard.

Keep in mind that your benchmark for how the molds fly will be a bit different. So I'd advise still on thoughtful choices/experimenting on molds and plastics you think you'll like rather than trying to build a cycle from the start. If you want a straight to fade Teebird flight that is still fun to throw then try out a Gstar.

For most drivers I prefer a more durable plastic, Star most of the time.

If I were you, I'd go online and get a Star Leo at 170+, and Stat or Gstar Teebird at 165-170 and a sub 170 Star/GStar Firebird.

Thanks everyone with all the input so far...it's been a tremendous help!!!

It looks like I should make my way towards a better plastic :)

Yea, I never knew what the fuss about the DX Teebird was until I got my arm speed up. When I first got it I found it to be a shorter Leopard that faded way too much for me. Now it just glides forever with just a light fade to the ground. I have a 167g DX Leopard that has been beat to pieces....now it heads way right if thrown flat.

As far as better plastics I definitely like the Opto plastic of my Pure and the ESP on my Comet. I couldn't stand the Star of my Tern when I first got it but I think it's because my arm speed wasn't good enough to even attempt to throw this disc, so poor results led to dislike for the plastic as well. Now that I'm crushing that same 158g Star Tern and the flight makes it finish perfectly straight, I love the Star plastic :D I loved the Lucid plastic in hand but have a Truth in it and don't really care for it much in play.

Again, I appreciate all the advice and I'm looking forward to the journey to better plastics!!!

TripleB

All correct. Except that last part. Just put another Firebird in -- champ or star or whatever premium plastic feels good in your hand.
And pick either the Leo or the Leo3.

Agreed, pick the leo or leo3 for sure. I'll say this - the firebird is a great utility overstable disc off the shelf for mortals, but the FD3 is probably more workable on backhand lines. Just my 2c - if the the FD3 didn't exist I'd recommend a banshee or FB anyway.

I would move onto better molds.

If he were arguing about consistency, I might listen. However, the molds you're referring to are the ones everyone compares new ones to .. Teebird, Firebird, Leopard. Kind of kills the argument IMO.

Personally, I'd go Star Teebird and Leopard, and a Champ Firebird. But, I don't like the 3 tops personally.. and I like skips with the FB.

BTW, these would be in ADDITION to your current discs, not replacements.

Last edited:
Be warned about champ teebirds, since you seem to like the champ type plastic. Some champ teebirds are very overstable. I went through 5 before giving up on them and switching to eagles.

Agreed on the overstability. They can be like a thrower-Firebird for typical arms.

I wouldn't rush out to replace all of your discs, it'll take a while to get a premium fairway to fly like your beat Leo and the DX Teebird is an incredible flier.

But, when you feel like you need something to fill in for a flight you're missing from either adding power or having the DX plastic beat in, then transition one by one to the new stuff. This is just because like I said earlier, the flight number benchmark is going to be very different in premium plastic. Give yourself a chance to evaluate how it flies for you and if you need to switch molds a little to account for the large stability bump; but Teebird and Leo are classic for a reason. Gstar in general will be a good friend since it is the least stable of premium plastic, and it also will feel better in the now cold months.

Be warned about champ teebirds, since you seem to like the champ type plastic. Some champ teebirds are very overstable. I went through 5 before giving up on them and switching to eagles.

At the same time, don't be afraid of them; think of them as a potential investment in your game. They season and cycle like any other disc, only it takes longer but also lasts longer. When they season into their sweet spot they seem to stay that way and are dependable. I have one that has been worked in to a beautiful straight flyer with minimal fade. Along with a Champ Leopard3 and a fresh Champ Teebird, I feel like I have most fairway shots are covered. Also check out Philo's most recent in the bag where a lighter, worked-in Champ Teebird seems to have taken over Leopard/FD duties.

If you play even semi frequently I'd definitely look at acquiring good plastic. DX is the only plastic I know of that can literally get scuffed from landing on soft grass. The stuff is unsatisfactory for any driver mold because the flight changes so quickly and dramatically.

With good plastic (star or champion) you can get years out of a disc without noticing any significant flight changes.

I haven't thrown DX on a course since the year I started playing (2004). It isn't worth the headache of wondering where it will go or how fast it'll get torn up from being thrown around.

The flight of a DX Teebird can be beautiful, for a limited amount of time. You can beat a Star into that flight, it just takes a while.

I have had ONE champ to get there, but you have to absolutely thrash it, and the glide is never quite as good. Champ is great for many molds(Ape, Firebird, Tern), but it doesn't turn out as well for others(Teebird, Destroyer).

If you play even semi frequently I'd definitely look at acquiring good plastic. DX is the only plastic I know of that can literally get scuffed from landing on soft grass. The stuff is unsatisfactory for any driver mold because the flight changes so quickly and dramatically.

With good plastic (star or champion) you can get years out of a disc without noticing any significant flight changes.

I haven't thrown DX on a course since the year I started playing (2004). It isn't worth the headache of wondering where it will go or how fast it'll get torn up from being thrown around.

DX is certainly far less durable than premium plastics, but you're not giving it enough credit. Slow drivers in that speed 6/7 range do not get destroyed as quickly as you seem to think. Throw whatever you want, I don't care, but I've got DX Gazelles, Teebirds, and even Valkyries that contradict what you're saying.

Latest posts