• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Cycle or move to Better Plastic?

IF...you don't lose it. :|

That's the real rub. I've lost like 3 discs in the past couple years. Two were brand new and I just got another one after some grumbling. The third was my flippiest DX roc and isn't yet replaced. I've been throwing 2 I got used to try to get one and a backup ready to go, but man that was a sad day. I looked for a long time, but scuffed up red disc in a pile of rusted red car parts just is a lost cause after a certain point.

Last edited:
I agree that DX isn't a one-and-done plastic (though Discraft Pro-D might be). But to keeping the flight you want, the counter-argument is that you can buy a Star or (especially) a Champion plastic disc for $15 or less and use it for SEVERAL years and it holds the flight pattern or changes very very slowly. This is one reason I prefer premium plastic for all but putters; over time, it's more cost-efficient.

I agree on the D Plastic...threw a Ringer off the tee a couple times and it seemed basically done for (thought maybe I got a bad disc or something).

As far as the Champion, it's the most stable of all the Innova plastics, correct?

Now that I have a pretty good grasp on which direction my discs are going to fly (well, except for a DX Teebird I thought was going to fade back for me yesterday that decided to go straight and landed in the edge of a creek), I'm not so timid about purchasing a "better than base" plastic. Probably will start out with G Star or Star (as far as Innova is concerned).

What are the G-Star and Star comparable plastics from the other companies? I don't want the most stable, hardest to break in, plastics...but would like plastics that hold their flight pattern for a very long time.

Thanks for everyone's help!!

TripleB

In the Trilogy line, the Bio/Recycled plastic is typically the least stable or at least breaks in a little quicker to being less stable. Otherwise it's pretty even chance between Goldline/Opto and their equivalents being similar. All of their plastics change characteristics initially a lot faster than even Star, but then they stay there for a decent amount of time. Also in general it's easier to find lots of non-overstable and very glidey molds in the Trilogy lineup, whereas in Innova you need to generally choose a less overstable mold AND less overstable plastic. The Trilogy flight numbers are typically off/different compared to Innova, as they are less stable. In your power level the numbers are probably reasonably accurate, but it really matters mold to mold...

In Discraft, ESP is their star type of plastic. It is great as well.

I would look at adding a Gstar Teebird to your current lineup as your more overstable but still good flying fairway driver. It'll do the Teebird thing and give you a good comparison to how a familiar mold flies compared to DX.

I agree on the D Plastic...threw a Ringer off the tee a couple times and it seemed basically done for (thought maybe I got a bad disc or something).

As far as the Champion, it's the most stable of all the Innova plastics, correct?

TripleB

I have a Pro-D Challenger that I got many moons ago. Took it out and only putted with it, and after 36 holes it was more chewed up than a dog's toy. (Side note: got Jawbreaker Challengers when they came out, and I like them. Challengers are good putters.)

Yes, Champion is usually the most stable Innova plastic, but not always. It certainly is the most long-lasting: I said once before that I've never broken in a Champion disc, even my 3 yr. old Pink Panther flies straight-to-stable (it also has a higher PLH than most Panthers, lending that relative stability). Yes, you might go literally forever before breaking in a Champion disc (or lose it first).

As to other companies: Opto (and equivalents) is not as durable as Champion and sometimes not as durable as Star. Gold Line is not all that durable at all; it'll break in within half a season (as my several GL Rivers will swear to under oath). Discraft's ESP and Titanium plastics are good, and my Ti Buzzzes are very durable (I'm not sure how durable ESP is).

But, when you feel like you need something to fill in for a flight you're missing from either adding power or having the DX plastic beat in, then transition one by one to the new stuff.

Right now, on the 3 courses I typically play, there is really only one flight I'm missing: a disc with the flight of a TeeBird (a new DX Teebird, or a slightly less fading Firebird) that's longer. Maybe a distance between the Beast and the Tern with a gentle (maybe 1 or 2) fade.

There are four or five holes that this disc would work perfectly for me...again, probably in a better plastic that would hold that same flight/distance for a good long time!

Everything else I really have a disc for all I need (really too many disc, I feel like I've got to streamline my bag to reduce my decisions) for my backhand only throwing style:
putter=Pure Opto (173g)
us putter=Mirage DX
throwing putter=Pure Opto (174g)
os putter=Slammer Prime
us mid=Stratus X
straight mid=Comet ESP (also have a Buzzz I'd still need to learn to throw)
os mid=Roc (led to 2 birdies this week on holes I've never birdied before)
us fairway=Leopard DX (beat to pieces)
straight fairway=Teebird DX (beat in) or new Leopard3 DX
os fairway=Teebird DX (new for Christmas) and Firebird DX
distance=loving the Star Tern and the DX Valkyrie right now (but have had great throws with both a Star Sidewinder and Beast Glow)

Again, thanks to everyone for the help!!!

TripleB

I am torn on this as well. But, I have steered towards getting better plastic for everything 6 and I'll get DX for 5 and under because beat up Roc's and Gators are beautiful fliers.
I've thought about getting nicer, or different plastic of them.
But why mess with what works.
Although. I do wish; just for yucks, that Innova would make a run of the old school Griffin's in a gstar plastic, so it could be a winter wing of mayhem that does not become a chunked up mess from its side gig in tree maintenance.

Right now, on the 3 courses I typically play, there is really only one flight I'm missing: a disc with the flight of a TeeBird (a new DX Teebird, or a slightly less fading Firebird) that's longer. Maybe a distance between the Beast and the Tern with a gentle (maybe 1 or 2) fade.

This is where it gets tricky. Everyone wants a super long straight disc, like a 0/1 flight. Why don't they make it?? Heh because it's nearly impossible and it really depends on your arm speed.

The faster a disc is rated...the wider its rim, typically the more finicky they get at different velocities. If you throw it too hard then it will turn a bit, if you let it slow down it will fade no matter its fade rating. Wide rims just do that.

Also, the less turn a disc has the less "easy distance" it has. The Tern bombs because it gets some, well "tern" to it and then has a mellow finish. If you want more control then you will have less turn and a touch more fade, and this will mean the disc seeks the ground sooner and you lose distance. So even a similar speed class disc with a more trustworthy flight will lose 25' or more distance for many players compared to a Tern. It's the cost of consistency.

So basically you need true power to get that straight to fade flight, no matter what. The options are either get a fast disc that's on the verge of being understable and it'll get out there on speed without really turning yet, or throw a milder speed 7-9 disc that you can overpower and have it hold a straight line and barely fade. I personally think the slower disc being overpowered has more control for the most part, especially while figuring this out.

This is where I still recommend a Gstar Teebird for you, it will definitely be shorter than the Tern and even your DX Teebird, but it will be controllable and fly just as you throw it. But the harder you throw, it will keep flying like a Teebird, just farther. They add distance as you add velocity, unlike a very OS disc that will want to fade soon or a very fast disc that will add distance and turn.

If you go up to something straight-ish in the speed 11+ range, say like a Trespass, it will fight wind better and plow through bad form throws easier, but if you power it down at all it will fade like a fade 3 high speed disc and give you some sweep and maybe skip finish. When you can overpower a disc in this speed range it will be very controllable and give you a very mild flight at a farther range than a Teebird...but if you're having to crush on it then it's not going to be as controllable. Let's put it this way, if you can throw 350' very easily then I would say Trespass is a fantastic bet for being neutral and glidey. But if you can't easily throw a certain distance, no disc is going to give you a 0/2ish flight and distance...it's all on velocity to power a disc straight out there. Think about how your Teebird livened up once you could throw it harder.

Last edited:
What slowplastic said. I will add two suggestions: a Champion Sidewinder or a Falchion. For me these two are almost identical in flight pattern and in distance. The Falchion especially has some awesome glide that carries it further than the "9" speed in its label.

I'm also waiting for the S-line CD3 to come out as a production disc. It's speed 11, and will very possibly give you what you're asking for.

Certain baselines cycle long and well - DX Thunderbird is the gold standard for me for drivers. Have a 2 year old one that has been lost and found, but still makes the grade. My son has one with chunks flagging off the edge, and it still flies OS. DX Firebirds decline much more quickly, as do most DX discs, or Pro-D (Au revoir Avenger).

Got my hands on a retro Trident - with its blunt nose, and very OS flight, this could last for years.

Certain molds are up to it, others not. Baseline molds that have failed quickly: Firebird, Banshee, Gazelle, Avenger, Teebird, Ape, XL, Escape, etc.

All depends on runs, and OAT, in my case, etc.

My 2 cents worth, as a lover of baseline plastic.

Id say both if you're stuck on mold minimalism for sure. Having a large mix of beat up baseline and premium plastic backups of your go to mold can be hard to replicate with different molds sometimes specially with TB-esq molds. Work in some premium while being able to purchase cheap baseline and have a great mix of shots available from a single mold.

You could try a Mint Alpha in Pearly Green Eternal plastic.

G* TB and a Pro Leopard

Sweet...I already have the Pro Leopard. Hated it a month ago. Worked on my speed, threw it again today, beautiful slight fade at the end (and long), 140 foot approach with a Truth, and I got myself a tap in birdie!!!

It and the Truth earned a spot in my bag today...70 foot throw in for a birdie with the Truth on the very next hole. Best 5 holes of my 4 month disc golf career...par, bird, par, bird, bird.

TripleB

I would suggest a Champ Sidewinder, G-CD2 or S-CD for the disc that flies like a longer beat in TeeBird, a P-PD (RIP OOP) would work after a bit of seasoning as would a Millennium Standard Orion LF. A Saint or Escape might work as well, but probably would be harder to maintain in that spot.

Will this be a reliable fade disc for me?

After playing 20 or so holes yesterday (the same 8 holes twice and then a few more...tornado tore up course so not much playable) I really need a disc that can get out there but give me a reliable fade. Not quite as much fade as my new Firebird DX, but a disc that I can rip on and know that at the end it's going to fade back for me. Would really like something that would do the same but with more distance but for now that reliable fade with Teebird distance will work.

TripleB

After playing 20 or so holes yesterday (the same 8 holes twice and then a few more...tornado tore up course so not much playable) I really need a disc that can get out there but give me a reliable fade. Not quite as much fade as my new Firebird DX, but a disc that I can rip on and know that at the end it's going to fade back for me. Would really like something that would do the same but with more distance but for now that reliable fade with Teebird distance will work.

TripleB

Instead of dropping a disc into your bag for this shot, maybe try and see if you can execute it with one already in there? Hyzer Valkyrie? Hyzer Dx Teebird?

TripleB

If you rip on it cleanly it will fade, yes. It'll honestly fly similarly to your Pro Leopard until you beat some new off the Leopard, and it starts turning on you.