• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Cycle or move to Better Plastic?

If you rip on it cleanly it will fade, yes. It'll honestly fly similarly to your Pro Leopard until you beat some new off the Leopard, and it starts turning on you.

Agreed, and it depends on the particular Teebird. I have thrown some Gstars that will be very straight for me, and a few that have a 0/2 fade that kicks in a bit earlier. To me the Teebird should be nearly pinpoint straight with just a drift finish if thrown flat, but if you start it with a touch of hyzer it should fly relatively straight and then sweep quite left during the 2nd half of its flight.

See if you can make your Pro Leo do this flight with a slight/moderate hyzer release. If it has too much turn or not enough fade add a Gstar Teebird. The next step up from the Gstar Teebird would be a Thunderbird I think. Maybe Gstar in that at this point. The Thunderbird definitely has a more sweeping fade than the Teebird and handles wind more, but it does need a bit more power to throw.

Basically if your Pro Leo shows turn like -1 or more, then a Teebird will be much more true HSS. If you really want fade then consider a Thunderbird, but I do think that going to premium plastic a Gstar Teebird is a good first step. It is not a disc you will outgrow, when you get to the point that it doesn't fade "enough" it will instead be an incredible straight flier that can hold a variety of angles. At <325 the Gstar Teebird should be a great 0/2 flight.

Last edited:
I feel like this video is pretty accurate. There is a CC option on youtube for subtitles if it's not working.

Avery has huge power and you can see how the disc flies like -0.25/1 for him, while the hat guy gets some decent fade. He throws one shot with a lot of anhyzer and the Teebird fights out of it, showing how it definitely has some stability for non 500' arms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otd9g67Qfx0

Will this be a reliable fade disc for me?

After playing 20 or so holes yesterday (the same 8 holes twice and then a few more...tornado tore up course so not much playable) I really need a disc that can get out there but give me a reliable fade. Not quite as much fade as my new Firebird DX, but a disc that I can rip on and know that at the end it's going to fade back for me. Would really like something that would do the same but with more distance but for now that reliable fade with Teebird distance will work.

TripleB

This sounds like what a Banshee would be perfect for.

In looking at where I normally order from, they only have the G* TB, at the weight I'm looking (166-168g), in a light green color. I hate green as well as red disc...just cannot find them.

How does the flight of the G* Thunderbird compare to the flight of the G* Teebird?

TripleB

In looking at where I normally order from, they only have the G* TB, at the weight I'm looking (166-168g), in a light green color. I hate green as well as red disc...just cannot find them.

How does the flight of the G* Thunderbird compare to the flight of the G* Teebird?

TripleB

So the light green Gstar is actually pretty easy to find in the grass. Nothing like darker green or red at all. I'll throw green Gstar no problem.

TripleB

I agree about red, especially dark red being hard to see and find, but unless you're red/green colorblind, you should be able to see light green discs with no real problems.

Side note: it was the GStar Thunderbird that started my dislike of GStar plastic, so I'll say no more, let you decide for yourself, and let others advise you on that.

Last edited:

TripleB

Try a different retailer, not a different mold.

I agree about red, especially dark red being hard to see and find

Truth!!!

I have a DX Valkyrie that I love the flight of but it's dark red and is a struggle to find every time I throw it. I've got a Glow Beast that had the same flight of the Valkyrie the first couple times I threw it but after only about 15 to 20 throws it's already become understable and lost the flight that it and the Valkyrie had when brand new.

I need to buy a 9/10/11 speed disc in a better plastic that has the flight of the Valkyrie/Beast.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the help!!!

TripleB

Triple B,

The Banshee isn't a "get it out there with reliable fade" disc. Just starting out, I highly doubt you will be getting a Banshee or Firebird much further than midrange distances. G* Teebird is a good suggestion, also a Star or Champion Valkyrie will also do this shot for you, at least until they season. Please don't get a Banshee.

Triple B,
Just starting out, I highly doubt you will be getting a Banshee or Firebird much further than midrange distances. G* Teebird is a good suggestion, also a Star or Champion Valkyrie will also do this shot for you, at least until they season.

Thanks for the input!

I have a DX Firebird that gets out there almost as far as my Valkyrie...although the flight isn't as consistent as my Valkyrie. With the Valkyrie it doesn't seem to matter if I throw 60% or 90%, I'm going to get a finish that is basically where I was aiming. With the Firebird the flight varies a great deal more depending on the power of my throw. I've gotten it to fly almost perfectly straight (90%) but I've also gotten it to show that '3' fade (below 70%) and land much shorter.

For straight flights at a distance I'm looking at: G*/* Beast, G*/* Archon, G* Valkyrie

For a nice consistent fade at a distance I'm looking at: G* Teebird, G* Orc (buddy of mine swears by this disc), ESP Surge, G*/* Wraith

TripleB

From what I've gathered from your posts, here is how I would line up your discs (again, this is MY opinion):

G* Thunderbird - disc you can get out there and fade in the wind (until it seasons)
G* Valkyrie - disc you can get out there and fade (until seasons)
Dx Valkyrie - US distance

G* Teebird - slightly OS fairway
Pro Leopard - stable fairway
Dx Leopard - US fairway

At your skill level, you should be able to work with these and achieve most shots. They are slower so you can definitely utilize them while you are developing. I'd stay away from anything faster than the Orc.

G* Thunderbird - disc you can get out there and fade in the wind (until it seasons)
G* Valkyrie - disc you can get out there and fade (until seasons)
Dx Valkyrie - US distance

Pro Leopard - stable fairway
Dx Leopard - US fairway

Thanks for your opinion!!!

I like the idea of the Thunderbird...the fact that, like the Teebird, the numbers say it don't have to go right before it fades to the left (unlike disc such as the Orc, Surge, Wraith that are -1 3).

Will the G* Valkyrie eventually settle into a straight flying distance disc (like my Valkyrie DX is right now)?

Could I use my Glow Beast as my US Distance? It's basically flying that way now...only about 15-20 throws in.

I keep forgetting about my Pro Leopard because I got it when I first started and it was short and overstable for me back then. Love the way it flies now.

Using my Leo3 DX as my straight flying fairway right now but I know it won't stay that way for long. A new straight flying fairway will need to replace it pretty soon.

Good call on US Fairway being my Leopard...I've got a 167g well beat in Leo DX that is way understandable now. If it weren't red :D

Luckily I've got my mids/approach discs set pretty solidly. Only mid/approach disc I know I'd like to try in the future is the EMAC Truth. Have the Truth in Lucid and am learning to love it. I've got a Roc in DX...it's probably the only mid/approach disc that will be need replacing any time soon.

Again, I appreciate your input!

TripleB

Latest posts