• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Cycling wizards

Jlee

Birdie Member
Hey DGCR I did a search today and didn't find a thread dedicated to cycling wizards as a driving putter. Who does this and what blends do you prefer to use for what shots?

I currently bag challengers for putting, but I've been using an opto pure for straight/turnover and an aviar driver for straight /w more fade. I'd like to use one mold altogether. Thinking wizards would do the trick, who has some info for me?

Last edited:
I have a buddy, Conor Montague a.k.a. Mr. Butlertron on here who uses Wizards for, well, just about everything. He puts with a Soft and occasionally a medium but his driving Wizards are generally the medium and an HPP.

I currently putt with an RFF and drive with SSS's. I love the flexible feel for putting, and love the velvety feel of the SSS for driving.

Just remember, not all discs of a certain plastic in Gateway feel the same, so you may have to hold them to find the ones you want.

I cycle them too. I drive with g9i, from fresh to beat up. I have three right now, and only one back up though... I will try the soft blend to see if I like it as much (because I won't go hunting for g9i!!).
Oh, btw, I find they don't loose much hss, but they do loose quite a bit of lss when beat up.

I tried the hpp and didnt like it at all. I felt it had no glide whatsoever.

choose your favorite firmness, then give gateway a call and get a stack. keep all of your driving wizards the same so you get the consistent feel. thats really all there is to it.

With some use, they go much, much straighter. I have an Eraser that I taco'ed, and after straightening, it flies a touch under stable. RFF wizards seem over stable out of the box, and HPP are good for dropping out of the sky once it reaches the target. Honestly, a Fresh SS wizard is so workable, it can easily fulfill nearly every putter job, simply by adjusting snap and release angles. Give me a fresh SS, and I'm a happy boy.

The more flexible, the better for cycling, imo. In my experience, stiff plastics chunk more than flexible ones. Organic chunked the worst for me.

The more flexible, the better for cycling, imo. In my experience, stiff plastics chunk more than flexible ones. Organic chunked the worst for me.

i've only ever cycled mediums and more recently softs, they hold up just fine for the most part. imo the firmer plastic makes for a better release when you really get on it.
i have occasionally driven with my sss "putter only" wizards when i absolutely need it to flop, but there have been times that they have gouged and i regretted it.

oh, but i do completely agree about the organics taking bigger chunks more often. i was dissapointed in them because i really wanted to like the new organic 25s.

wizards are good for everything, try em out. I use g9i for driving and putting

i've only ever cycled mediums and more recently softs, they hold up just fine for the most part. imo the firmer plastic makes for a better release when you really get on it.
i have occasionally driven with my sss "putter only" wizards when i absolutely need it to flop, but there have been times that they have gouged and i regretted it.

I've only been using wizards for a year or so, so it's probably just a skewed sample. And the fact that my organic is my stiffest wizard that I've tried to drive with.

Suregrip is awesome plastic, and doesn't chunk or get torn up badly at all. I've had worse luck with other plastics, for sure. I've just had the best luck cycling my softer ones.

I've only been using wizards for a year or so, so it's probably just a skewed sample. And the fact that my organic is my stiffest wizard that I've tried to drive with.

Suregrip is awesome plastic, and doesn't chunk or get torn up badly at all. I've had worse luck with other plastics, for sure. I've just had the best luck cycling my softer ones.

that explains it then. it bears repeating that i was not satisfied with the organics at all. however, i cannot possibly recommend the softs enough, they feel just like that nice stiff/chalky kc pro from a few years ago, and they season in an amazing way.

Wow awesome info thanks guys. I feel like the transition to wizards from challengers would be easy because they are somewhat similar in feel. So is buying direct from gateway my best bet? And what is the g9? Is that the really firm blend?

I tend to like stiffer ones for putting, but I love the pink Erasers for throwing.

Wow awesome info thanks guys. I feel like the transition to wizards from challengers would be easy because they are somewhat similar in feel. So is buying direct from gateway my best bet? And what is the g9? Is that the really firm blend?

the g9i was one of the firmest blends gateway ever did. it was designed to be a great driver, but when the pdga started cracking down on plastic that didn't pass the flex test, the mediums and g9i were the first to go. so unfortunately, those are now out of production.

i highly recommend buying direct from gateway because you can get a stack of 5 or more for a discounted price, they will all be the same feeling, and the guys there are super knowledgeable about their product. when i bought my first stack of 10 mediums, they were awesomely patient and we talked at length about the differences in plastic and their strengths. since then, the customer service has been nothing short of superb. that is a huge reason i stay loyal to gateway.

I cycle them for driving and putt with them. I like the Stiff S ones that are chalky. I also have an Eraser that is pretty stiff and uber grippy. I like to think of them as baby Ghosts (or Rocs).

I cycle them for driving and putt with them. I like the Stiff S ones that are chalky. I also have an Eraser that is pretty stiff and uber grippy. I like to think of them as baby Ghosts (or Rocs).

Bingo. Softs are the best. Season up great. Don't chunk much and get a nice even wear on the bead.

I tried to cycle SSS wizards as my drivers/upshot discs. I was in the process of trying to season one up and it got mega-warped. It was crazy bent up. I've tried to straighten it but it wont flatten out. So I gave up and use challengers for those shots.

I do however, LOVE medium (I know, I know) and soft wizards for putting. Unparalleled.

I like to think of them as baby Ghosts (or Rocs).

This so much. They really do feel like that to me. I love my 2 Evos for up shots. I just retired a really beat RFF Wizard from putting duties and use it for short annys and soft landings. Have a 175 black RFF right now that is money for putting. I love Wizards so much... Haha.

I tried to cycle SSS wizards as my drivers/upshot discs. I was in the process of trying to season one up and it got mega-warped. It was crazy bent up. I've tried to straighten it but it wont flatten out. So I gave up and use challengers for those shots.

I do however, LOVE medium (I know, I know) and soft wizards for putting. Unparalleled.

I have several that are warped pretty bad, but still fly fine.

Latest posts