• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Cycling wizards

I never see mention of the Super Light Wizard. I bought one (154g) because I am not very strong, have a bad shoulder and didn't want to start out too heavy. Short of calling Gateway I wasn't able to find any of the other Wizards lighter than 165g at the time of purchase. Is the SL version worth investing in for cycling/practice or would it be better to bump up to the low 160s in something else that is more readily available? The SL version is cheaper than anything else but I'm not sure if the plastic is inferior.

I've got a super light but have never thrown it. My favorite wiz in my rotation was an old big g stamped beat up 160 supersoft that could do anything you could possibly want. Such a fun disc to throw, it was my "touch" wizard.

hit the cookie today, and the basket.

sooooo clooooose . . . i'd love my next ace to be with one of my wizards.

my soft has already lost most of its fade and picked up some glide; getting used to adding just a bit more height to my throws and everything is going very well! played three rounds and threw it as often as i could. will still hold a line, but i'm surprised. my harder (not the dinnerplate) organic has lost some too, but not a lot. these are going to be AWESOME.

the RFF still fly the same despite being warped. laser line straight. sorta makes sense, i guess. they absorb so much shock that the impact isn't as severe, maybe?

i gave my 168g grape away to someone who was asking about them because he had wanted to buy one but everywhere is sold out except online. :) good deed for the day done. told him if he didn't like it to just text me and give it back.

also, i'm finding that it's easier to work lines with the wizard than my opto pure/pa4 due to the inherent overstability. i never really liked throwing flex anhyzers, but these things make it work like a charm and have actually gotten me a little bit more consistency.

for instance, hole 3 at kaposia, 280 feet, uphill, protected by tiers of rocks and a line of trees parallel to the tee on your right than overhang directly in your path to the basket. usually i just throw the pure, the fuse or the tangent out to the left and let it turn right and drift up to the pin. pretty easy. sometimes the pure winds up short, sometimes the tangent and fuse get messed with by the wind or fade out early due to bad angles/nose up.

enter the wizard. in the circle, just about every time. nice flex line out left, flattens out and settles down nicely in the woodchips by the pin. i've stayed away from flex shots because i used to consider them a sign of crappy form. i prefer to turn things over instead; i like the finesse necessary, but this is much more reliable. good things.

I have 5 driving wizards in my bag. I have two evo for my OS shots, one slightly beat in and another brand new, then i have 2 glow, one for straight and one for slight turn and then I have a soft for hyzer flip that fades right. I love having the same disc for all different shots.

Love my wizards. Immediate improvement to my putting, my best rounds on my home course came in the last few weeks after switching to wizards.
I use putters for short midrange-upshots and was carrying a champ rhyno, a seasoned r-pro rhyno and a pure.
This is gonna make me be the guy that has thirty of each of the four molds he carries.:D

I carry 4 wizards in my bag at all times. 1 Evo that's in a star/esp plastic rather than champ/z(I've only seen them in champ/z) that I use for drives and really windy days. I've had it in the bag all summer and it hasn't lost any stability. 1 OG Soft that I used over the summer as a putting putter, now it's a great driving putter if I need it to go dead straight and barely fade at the end. It's also my jump putting putter. Lastly, 2 SSS Wizards for putting and occasional upshots. Super grippy and they're black so I'm going to use them over the winter. I like softer and more grippy plastic when the temperature goes down.

At this point I have one Glow Wizard that I've been using since June for all of my putt, approach, and driving needs. I have a backup, but it's brand new, both are max weight. I have a 172 Soft that is beat in really nicely. I'd like to get some more softs and experiment with those next year. I also have a 165 Medium that's had alot of love over time. Its a little light, but the plastic is amazing. I'd also like to get an Evolution, but we'll see. Part of the attraction of Wizards is the base plastic.

I carry 2 Glow Wizards in my bag and use them for almost all short drives and approach shots (i used them for all putting duties for the past two years as well, but now I putt with eraser Voodoos).

My favorite plastic by far is Glow plastic. I bought a stack of 8 to cycle; but i am still throwing the first two. Both have lost some of their fade, but neither has lost any HSS that i can tell, so i haven't felt the need to put a fresh one in the bag yet. Glow Wizards are really great in my opinion.

Probably a bit of an extremist here, but I cycle wizards a bit differently than any one else I know.

If I can find 2, 5, 10, etc. 175g softs in a stiffness and/or tackiness that I really desire, I'll cycle two of them in as primary "putting" putters every 6-8 months. Once they start gliding a bit more than I like, I'll move both of them in as my "step-putters" and introduce two fresh ones for primary duty. Once the step putters lose all of their stability, I'll either move them into the bag for approach/short drives, or put them into the reserve stash. You'd be surprised at just how much stability two soft putters can lose just from smashing chains for a year.

I'll usually keep one or two fresh softs that are a bit too slick to putt with for stable to overstable drives. Mediums are also great for these shots.

Eventually the driving putters beat in to become my turnover putters.

As I said above, I find one of the best ways to tune a wizard is to putt with it exclusively for six months. It won't gouge or warp from rock or tree hits, but it will lose stability and begin gliding really nicely.

That's actually exactly what I've decided on. I like the softs the best for putting so I'd like to beat some stability out for longer putts but keep a fresh one for in the circle. I like using the rff for approaches still though. Tried throwing in the cold and rain and they were super hard to hold on to so I'm glad I have some really stiff, tacky OG as my main driving putters.

Well so far I've been using only wizards for putting/approach and short drives. I have 3 organic wizards I've been trying to beat up for driving duties. So far the "softest" org wizard has the most glide for driving and has lost barely a tick of stability but is still very reliable. Im using mediums for putting and honestly they fly just like my kc aviars inside the circle, maybe a touch more glide and lss(but maybe thats just because they are new).

So far my experiment is working out, really enjoying the wizard!

glows are best they stay fresh the longest and beat into an amazing disc!

i agree the the HSS doesn't go away fast but after a few months they lose a lot of LSS.

best of the best are eco organic wizards with the big wizard stamp.

if you have one or circle tooled glows i'll trade you wizard for wizard! i have most types.

I have a sweet OOP wizard for sale if anyone is interested. 8/10 condition, No Ink, 174 grams. Let me know if anyone's interested. Thanks.

Attachments

• Picture 6.jpg
    Picture 6.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Picture 7.jpg
    Picture 7.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 24
after using my RFF for drives nearly exclusively and approaches exclusively, this stupid thing won't beat up. in contrast, my 171 soft has beaten into straight already after being used for putts and my second drives (trying to beat them all in, usually throw them all).

the other thing i'd like to do is beat my SSS to a summit-like state; think i'll take it out and give it the sidewalk treatment. now that it's cold that thing feels way too good. the RFF is strangely resilient. i think it's the bouncy nature of the plastic; just does not want to grind up the bead the way my soft and SSS have been.

The softer ones take longer to beat in, but they also stay in that great turnover state forever once you get them there. I have a SSS that has been in my bag for 3.5 years, it's been that perfect turnover wizard for the last year and a half.

Mashnut, do you worry about smashing a tree with your 3+ yr old wizard in the cold weather? That seems to be the only drawback to cycling base plastic.

Nah, when I was in the midwest I would swap in softer wizards for the winter but that was mostly just for grip. I've never broken a disc that wasn't 8+ years old, and if I do I have backups. Out here in California it's definitely not an issue.

Latest posts